Rear Camera - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 01:37 AM   #1

Texas
Rear Camera

I have a 2014 3990 (new to me). I see that it has the rear camera on the top in the back with a wire and a specific plug end on it. Does anyone know if there was a standard setup and how I would go about hooking this up if the wire is hanging out with about a 6” long pigtail to that plug end. Does this mean I have to run a wire all the way from the back to the front to be able to hook up to my truck somehow or what??? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I have no clue about this one at all! I can take pictures and post if it would help anyone be able to help me, just let me know.

Old 07-26-2021, 01:52 AM   #2

Wyoming
I swear, I know you’re going to think I’m an asshole… but do any of you new owners even THINK about using the SEARCH feature of this website before posting a question??!?

We know you know how to use a computer, and how to do a search… or you wouldn’t be here to be able to post a question in the first place.

I’m sorry to be so sarcastic, but you’re like the 3rd or 4th person THIS WEEK to make a separate post for this type question… and it’s been answered nearly every way possible before. A rear camera, is a camera, is a camera… and for the most part, it doesn’t matter what brand of camera it is, or what model of RV. It’s either going to be wired to be ‘always on’, or wired in with your lights, so to only operate when they’re on.

Geeze!

Click image for larger version

Name:	55225F37-8056-4F5A-891D-93F24F96EB27.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	6982

Name:	B1B37D19-D3B2-49D7-9C98-905209067CB6.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	6983

Name:	50210A6C-3BB6-44BC-9A0B-502D0A3CA4FE.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	6984

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 07-26-2021, 03:15 AM   #3

Texas
Lol. Well I appreciate the help here asshole I really do. I can appreciate your opinions here but in all honesty the only thing I’m a newbie to is this website and while using it on my phone and not on an actual computer it seems to be a bit different. However, I will now, thanks to you, understand how this forum operates a little better because to be quite honest it was pissin me off too just trying to figure out how to post something. In all honesty I wasn’t even sure if I did that right or not. I’m an asshole to so the remarks don’t bother me but the dummy proof screenshots helped so I appreciate it. I will check all this out now thanks to you sir!
Old 07-26-2021, 11:04 AM   #4

Illinois
Cracks me up!
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
Old 07-26-2021, 06:18 PM   #5

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Lol. Well I appreciate the help here asshole I really do. I can appreciate your opinions here but in all honesty the only thing I’m a newbie to is this website and while using it on my phone and not on an actual computer it seems to be a bit different. However, I will now, thanks to you, understand how this forum operates a little better because to be quite honest it was pissin me off too just trying to figure out how to post something. In all honesty I wasn’t even sure if I did that right or not. I’m an asshole to so the remarks don’t bother me but the dummy proof screenshots helped so I appreciate it. I will check all this out now thanks to you sir!
[emoji1787]
Old 07-26-2021, 08:34 PM   #6

Florida
Wow! Shakes head! No rattle!

Note to new folks: MOST of us are happy to answer questions and direct you to the threads that may help you in your quest.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:38 PM   #7

Florida
Sarcasm

ATCguy, I’m sick and tired of you answering every post on this website with your sarcastic bull****. People just want answers not your critique of their website skills. I read your burnout blog. Sign off. Go home. I know I’m done with your ****.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #8

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGreGG View Post
ATCguy, I’m sick and tired of you answering every post on this website with your sarcastic bull****. People just want answers not your critique of their website skills. I read your burnout blog. Sign off. Go home. I know I’m done with your ****.
Not criticism of their website skills Greg… but of their laziness. Their wanting everything spoon-fed to them,… their thinking that their particular issue is unique, and has never happened to any other RV owner on the face of the earth since the beginning of time… without doing a lick of searching for an answer to that issue which has probably already been posted online before.

…Criticism for their lack of doing research on their own first… and only THEN, if not finding what they need, ask questions.

…for their naďveté of buying lower-cost, entry-level units… and having the same quality & service expectations of someone who bought a 2-million dollar Tiffin motor coach.

…of their blaming of the manufacturers & the dealers… not for quality control issues, but for things they should’ve done research on themselves PRIOR to blindly handing over their money.

These are the things that just amaze me. I mean, just recently, someone new posted a complaint about the size of the bed in the new RV they just bought. Are you kidding me?? The whole reason one buys an RV is to have somewhere to sleep while traveling or out & about enjoying nature. Who doesn’t lay down on the bed to test it out BEFORE buying it?

I read another post where someone paid money for the rig & took it home with components they KNEW weren’t working, based on the dealer’s word that the part(s) were ordered, and they’d call when they arrived. Wow… really? Question: you’re at the car dealer, ready to either hand over a check, or sign the paperwork on a brand new Lexus… and while you’re inspect the car, you notice the AC isn’t blowing cold air, and/or the stereo system isn’t working. Are you going to give them the money and drive it home? Hell no. But yet, for some reason, the person saying they did exactly that with their new RV is complaining. That baffles my mind.

They remind me of new yuppie Harley-Davidson motorcycle buyers, who’ll spend over $20,000 on the bike, and another $5-to-$10,000 in extra chrome & louder exhaust parts… but won’t spend a measly $300 on a class to improve their riding skills. These are the guys you usually read or hear about on the news, who failed to negotiate a turn, and either killed or severely hurt themselves.

If stuck on the side of the road, or maybe just arriving at the campsite, or ready to leave… and an issue arises that they need IMMEDIATE help with… that, I understand. You don’t have time to research it… you need an answer now. I get it. But if not…

Look… if someone needs help, I’m more than happy to assist, if able. Hell, if I’m anywhere nearby, I’ll drive 5 or 6 hours to get to you… bring tools you may not have.. or otherwise do whatever I can to help. I’ve been there. I’m not immune to having needed assistance… and lots of people here have provided good info that I’ve desperately needed in the past.

But you can best believe that, before beginning to type out a request, I’ve already searched nearly everywhere I could on my own for the answers beforehand. Google, this site, RV.net, the brand documentation and/or website customer support sections, etc. I didn’t just get online willy-nilly, and ask if someone else could do all of the research work for me.

I don’t know, maybe it’s a generational thing. I, and the majority of my peers, were raised to be self-sufficient to the extent possible… to only ask for help when all other means of remedy had been exhausted. Not because of pride, but because it made you learn the skills necessary for the task. But I guess that doesn’t seem to be the norm today,
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 08-02-2021, 01:17 PM   #9

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
I have a 2014 3990 (new to me). I see that it has the rear camera on the top in the back with a wire and a specific plug end on it. Does anyone know if there was a standard setup and how I would go about hooking this up if the wire is hanging out with about a 6” long pigtail to that plug end. Does this mean I have to run a wire all the way from the back to the front to be able to hook up to my truck somehow or what??? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I have no clue about this one at all! I can take pictures and post if it would help anyone be able to help me, just let me know.
Maybe there is good information in the troll conversation. I avoided reading it. If I am being redundant, I apologize.

The plug and wire inside the "camera ready" mount is most likely just the 12 volt running lights. Mine is.

It seems every camera manufacturer uses a different connector, but they all are just a 12 volt power source.

You need a camera and a display that can communicate using radio. I chose a Garmin BA-30 because it uses my Garmin RV770 as a display as well as providing GPS. I have limited front dash display space.

There are wired communication devices. They may be for long RV's where the back end is too far from the display receiver. Some motor coaches also use wired communications due to poor radio reception inside.

Note: There are two different versions of these cameras. One has an extremely wide field of view. These are "back-up cameras". You can often see your rear bumper for precision backing.

Rear view cameras have a narrower view and work better as a replacement for a rear view mirror.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Old 08-02-2021, 04:57 PM   #10
Administrator

Washington
Thread closed. Folks, a number of posts in this thread are waaaaay out of bounds for this site.

1. If a new member asks a question either try to help with information or stand down. The search function on the board is less that awesome and you should assume they are seeking answers. Do you best to be helpful

2. Name calling - entirely out off limits. Be nice, be respectful, be helpful.

Thanks to those of you who reported a problem using the report post option