Originally Posted by albarrus
I'll admit I became frustrated an used tools and methods that i shouldn't have, destroying not just the grease seal but also the inner bearing (yanked out a ring spring). I went to autozone for replacements and they don't have um, and no RV place is open on the weekend so I'll need to fit that in during the week.
Turns out the spring that I yanked out is part of the grease seal, not the bearing.
I called an RV specialty store/shop to inquire about the bearings and seals, they told me they'd need to order, and admitted they get the parts from NAPA. I went to Napa, and even tho the clerk couldn't find part numbers on it, he was able to compare sizes and match them up to what I need.
The seal he found cost $40 for just 1! I asked if that's typical (i suddenly realized why people reuse them when they shouldn't). He took another look and found one for $5, but only had one. He told me which stores had them and how many.
To be safe I also bought two sets of bearings, each costing about $13 (4 total which adds up). However, I saw no signs of wear on the bearings or races, save for a bit of discoloration, which seems to be an effect of them sitting in the same position for so long, so I just cleaned them as best I could with brake cleaner then repacked them with grease. (the discoloration remains)
For as hard as removing the seal was, inserting a new one gave me nearly an equal measure of frustration, and may have caused some minor bending to the new seal. I used a small piece of 2x4, but it kept wanting to go in crooked, i tried for what seemed like half an hour to try and work it around with one end down in there and another outside the lip, I began to doubt it was the right size. I re-watched some DIY videos and saw that I just needed to place it dead center then apply equal force down the middle with the 2x4 standing on its side, so with gloved hand i made my best effort to get the lips to meet equally around the circumference, placed the 2x4 standing up on its side down the middle and gave a heavy blow with a rubber mallet, and to my delight the entire seal depressed into the hub, then i worked the 2x4 around to make sure it went inside level until it was flush with the hub.
I'll have to use a fiberglass repair kit to fix the side roof crack, that should have done by the previous owner instead of patching with caulk.