Photobucket images - not for forum use - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > Forum Help | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2017, 12:18 AM   #1
Administrator

Washington
Photobucket images - not for forum use

Recently the image hosting service Photobucket changed their terms of use for account holders and no longer allow embedded images to be displayed on forums. As a result the forum had many threads lose their photo documentation.

Moving forward we will disallow links to Photobucket and ask that you store your images with the posted text that they were intended to augment, here on the forum.

Forum members can store images posts and threads using the attachment option found in the advanced reply editor or in photo albums set up in individual profiles. There is no cost to store images here and this will ensure that your content is not diminished by an image hosting service changing their minds about how your content is handled. Thanks for understanding.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:08 PM   #2

Tennessee
There goes 10 years of me linking pictures from there, just great.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #3

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
There goes 10 years of me linking pictures from there, just great.
Yep, same here... and across multiple forums. 😥

Guess it's time to find a new hosting server. Maybe Google, but that's kinda like going to the dark side. 😕
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:53 PM   #4

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Yep, same here... and across multiple forums. 😥

Guess it's time to find a new hosting server. Maybe Google, but that's kinda like going to the dark side. 😕
Just switched to imgur, downloaded all my photos from crapbucket(then deleted my account) and literally dragged all 200 pics in one folder onto the imgur site, took 10 minutes or so to upload. Easy peasy, good riddance.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:42 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
That is the second one to Tango Uniform on me... Fortunately I don't have much of anything on PhotoBucket. Currently using Flickr, Amazon and Google.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #6

Colorado
Have been in touch with Photobucket, they are aware they are having some programming issues.

But I can post my Photobucket pics on the RZRforums.net and the PolarisGeneralforum.com

Give 'em another try?

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:47 PM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Have been in touch with Photobucket, they are aware they are having some programming issues.

But I can post my Photobucket pics on the RZRforums.net and the PolarisGeneralforum.com

Give 'em another try?

Pirate
Programming issues? I was told they were trying to do a money grab on forum owners. Every forum i'm on has them blocked, or visa versa.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:51 PM   #8
Administrator

Washington
This is the underlying issue: Photobucket Please review the latest changes at Photobucket. - Photobucket

Pricing structure here: Photobucket Plus Storage | Photobucket

This isn't a programming issue - rather a fundamental change in their practice to charge every PB member $399.00 to have their embedded images display elsewhere. Photobucket is an independent company and can make whatever choices they want about how to manage their services, but at $399.00 per year for a PB member to use their hosting services, this means that for 99 percent of PB users, their images display this way on this forum:

Click image for larger version

Name:	photobucket_ransom.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	4369

We made a similar choice to disallow these so that images would be preserved here on the forum with the text that folks posted in support of the image.

We still allow some hosted images to display and there are a lot of good hosting services out there but when Photobucket changed their service, threads here were littered with those ransom notes, making them almost unreadable. Their change of terms affected threads here at this site and so we have taken steps to avoid this in the future.

It's fairly easy to upload pictures to a thread here and we also have photo albums here - at no cost. Thanks for understanding.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:09 PM   #9

Colorado
Just paid my $28.99 for the larger storage on Photobucket and I'm still posting on the three other forums I belong to.

Maybe someone should give them a call? You can find them on Google and their offices are in downtown Denver, CO.

Pirate
Old 08-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #10

Tennessee
Quote:
Just paid my $28.99 for the larger storage on Photobucket and I'm still posting on the three other forums I belong to.

Maybe someone should give them a call? You can find them on Google and their offices are in downtown Denver, CO.

Pirate
Unless you're willing to pay the $399 they're trying to extort from forum owners, I doubt that's gonna happen.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #11
Administrator

Washington
Quote:

Pirate
I'm glad you still have access but most users have been adversely impacted and this is the reason we've made changes here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photbucket_fees.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	4370
Old 08-17-2017, 04:22 PM   #12
Administrator

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Unless you're willing to pay the $399 they're trying to extort from forum owners, I doubt that's gonna happen.
It's not forum owners being asked to pay... it's $399.00 from each Photobucket user who wants their images to display on a site other than photobucket and that's a much bigger problem.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:24 PM   #13

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
It's not forum owners being asked to pay... it's $399.00 from each Photobucket user who wants their images to display on a site other than photobucket and that's a much bigger problem.
Oh, good grief, that's ridiculous. So you incur no fee's? It matters not, I was happy to upload all my pics to imgur and close my Photobucket account.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #14
Administrator

Washington
One option is to continue to use PB and when you want a pic to display here simply download it to your system and then reload it here with your post. They have a nice easy interface
Old 08-17-2017, 05:37 PM   #15

Arizona
This is why I don't entirely trust my important files to any cloud-based storage service.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:45 PM   #16

Texas
I'm a network engineer by trade. The "cloud" is a wonderful thing that greatly enhanced my quality of life in so many ways. Literally.

But, I would never recommend anyone to trust an only-copy of data to a cloud service. They are awesome for redundancy and ease of access\sharing. But.........

Prudently keep at least a copy\backup of anything you've stored in a cloud.

Ironically, a cloud copy has saved folks after a ransomware attack on their local machines. Go figure.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:25 AM   #17

Colorado
I see. Its the forums that are being asked to pay more. OK.

Can you provide a bit more specific instructions on: store images posts and threads using the attachment option found in the advanced reply editor or in photo albums set up in individual profiles.

Thanks,

Pirate
Old 08-18-2017, 08:58 AM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:
I see. Its the forums that are being asked to pay more. OK.

Can you provide a bit more specific instructions on: store images posts and threads using the attachment option found in the advanced reply editor or in photo albums set up in individual profiles.

Thanks,

Pirate
No, again, it is not the forums asked to pay more. It is the forum users asked to pay more.

Quote:
"It's not forum owners being asked to pay... it's $399.00 from each Photobucket user who wants their images to display on a site other than photobucket and that's a much bigger problem. __________________"
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:31 PM   #19

Colorado
Funny, I can use Photobucket pics on all three of the other forums I participate in.

What's the difference?

Pirate