Kodiak Cub 177 RB Water Pump Issue - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > Forum Help | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2023, 09:09 AM   #1

California
Exclamation Kodiak Cub 177 RB Water Pump Issue

When boondocking and using the toilet or either of the two faucets the pump stays on for an extended period of time after flushing is complete or the faucet is turned off. What are some possible causes for this to occur. By extended period of time I mean anywhere from 2 to 20 seconds. A few times I have just toggled the pump off at the switch to turn the pump off. It's as if the pump stays on to refill the plumbing lines. Could there be a leak somewhere and the pump stays on because of demand? I am bamboozled. Any ideas out there for why the water pump would remain on for extended periods of time?

RadProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 11:43 AM   #2

Florida
Hello Rad! What year is your camper? The -ump will stay on to make sure there is the correct pressure in the lines. It also could be that there is air in the lines or the pump is just having trouble and getting old.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 01:57 PM   #3

California
Thank you for your reply. My Cub is a 2021.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:00 PM   #4

California
How does air get in the lines....better yet, how do I rid the lines of air? Hell, I'm having an issue finding the pump!
Old 05-23-2023, 02:18 PM   #5

Wisconsin
There always needs to be an air space in the hot water tank. However, that should not affect cold water use. There should be a check valve at the tank to keep hot water from back flowing into the cold side.

Some water systems have a small pressure tank on the cold side to stop the pump from frequently turning "on" when only a little water is used. Pump will run longer to fill the pressure tank.

A sticking pressure switch inside the pump may stop it from turning "off" until pressure builds higher than normal. "Start" pressure is often lower than "stop" pressure.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 03:15 PM   #6

California
Ok...I found the pump...it's a FloJet, model #03526144....I thought I would try draining the hot water heater and see if there is any impact when the system refills. I see no evidence of a leak anywhere. Your thoughts?
Old 05-23-2023, 05:32 PM   #7

Florida
Does the pump come on when you are not using or have not used any water. The air comes from a pickup issue.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 03:28 AM   #8

California
I drained the hot water heater letting it drain completely.. I then turned on the pump and gas for the water heater. After reading so much great advice from friends who took the time to help in this forum I began to get an idea of what I needed to do. The advice helped me calm down and think things through. Afterall the pump was working just not properly. I realized I had a pressure problem. I refilled the hot water heater hoping that the air filled lines would fill with water....or at least push the air along. When I suspected that the water heater was full I opened the faucets....sure enough both faucets coughed and sputtered...next thing I know, after a few minutes a nice even flow starts to come out of both faucets. I let it run for a few minutes and then closed both. After a few minutes the pump also turned off. The pump began working properly again. It's been operationally functional as it should be for the past 5 hours. I am once more a happy camper. Thanks fellas! Mike
Old 05-24-2023, 03:44 AM   #9

California
BTW, the FloJet water pump in a 2021 Kodiak Cub 177 RB is llocated in the space on the floor below the stove. Figuring out how to remove the drawers beneath the stove is your next big challenge. See the latches along the runners? Press them down. Mine took a good dose of WD 40 to loosen. With the drawers removed look down in the cavity. On the floor, next to the wall at 9 o'clock...there it is...about the size of a small automotive solenoid. Good luck!

Tags
kodiak cub w pump issue