How to post photos... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > Forum Help | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2020, 01:30 AM   #1

Wyoming
How to post photos...

I often see the comment... "I can't post photos", or "I don't know how to add pictures"...

So I thought I'd try to make a small tutorial. It's really pretty simple to do once you get the hang of it... it's just kind of a clunky process.

(NOTE: You can click on the screenshot photos I've included to make them bigger and more readable. You can also "right click" on them to save them to your computer, and then make them as large as you like.)

First off, there are 2 different ways to do it:

1) Photos that are on your computer or mobile device are added as ATTACHMENTS, and utilize the "paperclip" tool up there in the tool bar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen1.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	6086

2) The other way is to insert an image that is ALREADY SOMEWHERE ON THE INTERNET (Amazon or Google photo apps, a photo from a website, etc.) For those, we use the "Insert Image" tool up in the tool bar.

Name:	Screen2.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	6087

I'm gonna deal with the first option here... photos that are on your computer or mobile device. I'll come back and make another post about the other option later.

NOTE: I'm working in Safari on a MacBook Pro computer, but working in Explorer or Chrome on Windows should be similar... as should working on a mobile device.)

Ok, first off, it helps to know in advance where your photo is located on your computer or device. (what folder & file name). You begin the process by clicking the "paperclip" icon on the toolbar... and when you do, you'll get a popup window. For your photo, click on the first CHOOSE FILE button.

Name:	Screen3.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	6088

When I do, I get a new popup window with my files. I navigate to the folder where my photo is located, and then click on the file (photo) I want to upload.

Name:	Screen6.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	6089

The website popup window now looks like this, and I then click the UPLOAD button.

(Note: if I wanted to upload 4 more photos, I could add 4 more the same way I did the first one by using the other 4 "Choose File" buttons)

While the photo uploads, I see this...

Name:	Screen7.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	6090

And after it's done, I see the file has been uploaded. I then go to the top right an click on CLOSE THIS WINDOW.

Name:	Screen9.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	6091

Now I click on the paperclip button again, and see this smaller MANAGE ATTACHMENTS popup window:

I move the mouse and "click" to place the cursor where I want the photo to appear in my message, then go back and click the file name to insert it (in this example, I click on the IMG_2114.jpg file name of my photo)

Name:	Screen99.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	6092

And.... whallah!! My photo showing my Arizona winter RV site appears here:

Name:	IMG_2114.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	6093

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:06 AM   #2

California
Attaching photos

ATC guy. If I was smart like Air Traffic Controllers I could fallow those instructions. But seeing how Im a lowly flight instructor. I will try. I bought an electric valve online for $152 online including California sales tax. I will try again and will take more pictures. Thanks again you are my source of info on this site.

larrypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:59 AM   #3

Wyoming
Part 2... Posting photos that are already somewhere on the internet:

Photos that are already on the net are stored on a server somewhere else, and have a unique address address. As such, the process is a little easier because all you have to do is copy its address, and then tell this website where to find it.

As an example of why we'd want to do this, let's say your awning is not staying extended when you open it. You've gone online to the manufacturer's website, and found the schematic showing the part you need (a gas-shock), but they don't make it anymore. You want to show it to others so maybe they can offer alternative suggestions. So how do you do that?

First off... by making a 'right-click' over the image online, it should bring up a pop-up menu of options for said image to download it, copy it, open it in another tab or window, etc. What you're looking for is something like COPY IMAGE ADDRESS, as shown below:

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	6094

By clicking on that option, the address should now be saved on your ini your computer's memory.

Now you come to this website to type out your post, and place the image. To paste the image so that it will show up correctly, you need to first click on the INSERT IMAGE button on the toolbar:

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	6095

When you click that button, a popup window that looks something like this should appear:

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	6096

Now, erase the part highlighted in blue (http://)... and "paste" the image address you copied previously into the box... then click the OK button (red arrow)

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	6097

In addition to whatever else you've already typed for your post... you should now see something like this, which is the image address within IMG brackets. From here, you can click one of the buttons at the bottom to preview the post, or simply go ahead & post it as you normally would.

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	6098

And if you've done it correctly, the image whose address you copied should show up like this:

To add more, you simply repeat the process with each online image you wish to post.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 01-20-2020, 05:11 AM   #4

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrypride View Post
ATC guy. If I was smart like Air Traffic Controllers I could fallow those instructions. But seeing how Im a lowly flight instructor. I will try... Thanks again you are my source of info on this site.
Ha... most of us were more 'smartass' than smart.

And trust me, there are others here who know a whole lot more about these RVs than me. It's just that most are hibernating over the winter, and don't visit as often.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE