Fan-Tastic vent RV roof fan 2250 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2020, 04:28 AM   #1

Colorado
Fan-Tastic vent RV roof fan 2250

Hi, I am planning lots of camping with only my solar panels to charge me. I'm sleeping with two dogs and want to keep us cool enough to be comfortable.

I'm thinking of swapping my bath fan for a Fan-Tastic vent RV roof fan - the 2250 model, reversible but not too fancy.
Does anyone have one, or something similar? Do you like it? Does it help to cool the trailer sufficiently at night? Or does it just eat up your battery power with little cooling? Was it easy to install on your own? They're expensive so any advice will help

twertsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:21 AM   #2

Wyoming
In my opinion... roof vent-fans are meant to exhaust air OUTWARD from the interior of the rig.

I’ve had them on small enclosed trailers, and now on my RV... and they work well for that purpose. They help move air, especially when the entry-door is open.

But... and again, this is my opinion... they WILL NOT keep you cool in any temperature climate above 70-degrees or so, especially if you’re in a location that adds humidity into the equation.

All if the vent-fans on my rig are reversible, and I’ve rarely (if ever) used that feature, because it just doesn’t do any good. Unless you’re sitting or sleeping directly under it, you won’t feel any effect from it.

If you want real air-flow directed into your camper from the roof... mount an air conditioner up there, and run it on the FAN setting only, so as not to use up too much power from your solar banks. You will get much better & effective air flow that you will definitely feel.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #3

Wisconsin
Fantastic Vent Fans

I agree. Run the fan as an exhaust fan. Open a window where you want to feel the breeze.

A Fantastic Vent Fan is highly efficient and highly effective. It can move a lot of air or only a little. It is typically quiet relative to any other type of air moving device. They come with or without all kinds of features. Even the simplest works very well.

There may be other fan models that are as good, but I have never seen one.

Running the air conditioner fan may circulate air. It will not draw in fresh air. Air conditioner fans are extremely noisy and in efficient.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:54 AM   #4

Colorado
Thank you, very good feedback. I think I will upgrade.
But I with definitely keep your comments in mind
(was 2014 4runner)
Old 06-10-2020, 01:38 PM   #5

Pennsylvania
You might consider the model that has the integrated rain shield. No need to worry about it being open when some wetness moved in.
T-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:48 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
I put in the MaxAir 7500 series.... Rain shield built in.... and thermostat remote setting.
When its parked at home or at a site I just have to leave a window open and when it gets to a set temp inside the fan will run..... then at night it will shut down on its own.
Real nice at night if the temps not too hot during the day and your not running AC. Acts like a whole house fan and will suck air through that open bedroom window.
You just have to justify the higher cost.......but a night and day improvement over the stock 4 inch "turbo jet" fanboth in the amount of air moved AND the noise level.
And the install is fairly easy for DIY.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:28 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-town View Post
I put in the MaxAir 7500 series.... Rain shield built in.... and thermostat remote setting.
When its parked at home or at a site I just have to leave a window open and when it gets to a set temp inside the fan will run..... then at night it will shut down on its own.
Real nice at night if the temps not too hot during the day and your not running AC. Acts like a whole house fan and will suck air through that open bedroom window.
You just have to justify the higher cost.......but a night and day improvement over the stock 4 inch "turbo jet" fanboth in the amount of air moved AND the noise level.
And the install is fairly easy for DIY.

IF you are putting it in the bathroom, I recommend you get the cover for it so it can be opened in the rain and after you get a shower and steam up the bathroom. The fan cover automatically closes when it senses water or excessive dampness. The cover allows it to be opened and open when it is raining.

https://www.campingworld.com/maxxair...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:48 PM   #8

Montana
I installed a fantastic vent fan in our camper bathroom ceiling. As mentioned, it does a good job of moving air through the camper when used as an exhaust fan and with other windows open for return air. Whether this cools the camper to comfortable levels depends on outside ambient temps. If it's blazing hot out, it just moves blazing hot ambient air around.
It does not consume much power. I also exclusively charge with solar when camping and power draw from the vent fan does not cross my mind.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:36 PM   #9

Colorado
So how hard was it to install yourself? I'm very handy, and don't really want to pay the $225 install quote I got unless needed, but at the same time, I'm new to the RV world
(was 2014 4runner)
Old 06-14-2020, 06:46 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
If there is a fan your replacing then its pretty straight forward since the power is already there( at the opening).
I'm sure there are some videos online that you can check out.
Removing the sealant from the fan housing ( at the roof line) can be tedious. And the 'danger' of poping a hole in your roof as you try to get that sealant off is ever present. But those are fixable too!!
You need to to buy some install materials ( sealant and "butyl tape( think thats the stuff)).

You will need to be on your roof...... and off safely!! Some trailers take the weight of a person on the roof fine.... and others ..... not so well.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:11 AM   #11

Colorado
Cool, I can do this! I think . I'll look for a YouTube video.
Thank you for the roof info too! Would have thought that it should take a body weight but sounds like, not so much
(was 2014 4runner)
Old 06-15-2020, 04:28 PM   #12

Montana
I actually had luck getting info from Dutchmen when I asked for a schematic before starting this project. The camper was supposed to have a fan installed as part of normal build, but mine did not for what ever reason. But the wiring was right there once opened up so it was easy. My roof holds my weight without issue.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:13 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
The roofs will hold the weight..... my point was meant to say " take it easy when you move around on top". It's not a dance floor!!
Best of luck with the upgrade..... one of the best to do.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:41 PM   #14

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by twertsch View Post
Cool, I can do this! I think . I'll look for a YouTube video.
Thank you for the roof info too! Would have thought that it should take a body weight but sounds like, not so much
The roof support is thin (maybe 3/8 ply). Stepping on it can cause flexing. I usually try to find the trusses underneath to step on. I have also put a loose thin sheet of ply on top to kneel on or step on.
The TPO sheet covering is also fragile. Make sure your shoes don't have stones in the tread or other sharp things.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote