1994 Dutchmen Classic M-27RK(?) - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2021, 10:22 PM   #1

West Virginia
1994 Dutchmen Classic M-27RK(?)

I purchased a Dutchman 5th wheel trailer through a private sale. I believe it is a 1994 Dutchmen M-27RK. Please, if anyone out there has a manual and wiring schematic I would greatly appreciate if you could share it. There is a breaker that trips as soon as I try to activate it. The heat does not work although the AC does. There is a heating unit of some sort (under the refrigerator location) on the door side of the trailer that is getting hot enough to glow if I plug it in and I'm worried about it being a fire hazard and I don't even know for sure what it actually is (electric heating unit?). All the info plates on all equipment is worn to the point of being unreadable.

Kantanshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:57 PM   #2

Wisconsin
Only thing left to try is to post pictures.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:33 PM   #3

Washington
1994 Dutchmen Classic M-27RK(?)

Keystone/Dutchmen use a standardized wire identification scheme but I have not been able to find a wiring "diagram" as such for our Kodiak Ultra Lite so I might assume that the same goes for your trailer. I'm attaching the document I found that at least provides some information about wiring in Keystone/Dutchmen trailers. If you can identify the wires, they should have a numerical id printed on them, the attached document may assist you in determining what is causing the problem. Hope it helps.

As to a manual the only thing we got was generic the covers all of the their trailers and does not address any model specifically. You may have to go to each manufacturer website and download a manual for each item.

I agree with Persistent that pictures would help identify the problem. As a last resort taking the trailer to a Keystone/Dutchmen dealer might be the only solution but can cost some big bucks to have them diagnose and fix the issue. Overheated wires are VERY dangerous and easily lead to fires as you have indicated. Get this issue fixed before getting out on the road. Keep asking questions as other owners here are always helpful.
Logging the miles in the USA. Adventure awaits around every corner.
kjlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 12:36 AM   #4

Connecticut
There is a breaker that trips as soon as I try to activate it Well than either you have an appliance possibly defective that is creating an overload including possibly the charger converter or you have a short circuit somewhere in the wiring that comes from that breaker. Look for areas that might have mechanical motion that could cause insulation wear like slide outs or places that might experience road vibration like loose shelving. With the breaker off you could measure the resistance to ground if zero most likely you have a direct short in the wiring. If less than eight ohms most likely you have a defective appliance connected to the circuit. There is a heating unit of some sort (under the refrigerator location) on the door side of the trailer that is getting hot enough to glow if I plug it in and I'm worried about it being a fire hazard and I don't even know for sure what it actually is (electric heating unit?). It sound like its what you said. You plug it in (electric) and it glows (makes heat). If you feel it's dangerous than remove it. Most campers come with a 12 volt propane heat. People often add electric heat. If you think it's a fire hazard you wouldn't expect others who can't see it in person to reassure you otherwise would you?
kimbo@alum.mit.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:53 AM   #5

West Virginia
I bought a contactless voltage detector and outlet tester. Figured out a couple things. The object that is heating up is part of the refrigeration unit. I have not leveled the trailer yet so that may be causing the problem there. Will be trying to get the trailer level tomorrow and try it again to see if that is the problem. I was able to enlist the help of a friend who is more versed in electrical wiring today to assist in diagnosing the breaker that won't stay on. Found one wire joint that shorted at some point (charred) with the previous owner. Another wire is going to the water heater which may be causing a problem because I do not have water running to the trailer yet. There are 4 outlets at the rear of the trailer (kitchen area) that have no power going to them and also the GFCI outlet in the bathroom. I replaced that outlet today, suspecting it was damaged and causing the power issue but that wasn't it.

At the end of the day we have decided that because there are signs of previous water damage and evidence of mice (nest made of insulation) we will pull the paneling and visually inspect all wiring.

Thank you all for the advice so far.
Kantanshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:59 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Applying electric power to a water heater heating element without being immersed in water will cause the water heater element to melt. A short circuit is frequently the result.

A propane/electric absorption refrigerator could indeed have a hot glowing element. However, it is usually inside a small boiler where you can't see it. Also the heater is in a space that is exposed to the outside of the trailer.

Post pictures.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:45 PM   #7

California
You can download the brochure for your rig here:
https://www.dutchmen.com/digital-brochure-download
You should be able to see that piece of equipment listed as standard or optional. If not, it may have been added after sale. All of the dutchman manuals I have seen are very generic. I've created my own by downloading manuals for each piece of equipment from their manufacturer. For everything else I've found google and YouTube very helpful.

Will59 is offline   Reply With Quote