Towing after 60 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #1

Colorado
Towing after 60

After being a pop-up camper family for over a decade we decided to go the TT route because the beds were too hard and the effort to set-up and tear-down did not make the trip very enjoyable. We bought a 275BH and so far so good. Only one trip so far though. It's put away for the winter. There is a problem with the TT that my wife and I had not anticipated. We bought an Equ-a-lizer WD hitch with the TT and anticipated that we needed to do that. What we didn't anticipate was the extreame (to us) weight of the ball mount and bars. We bought the BK to accomodate the kids and grandkids. When they go my son-in-law can do all the heavy lifting and setup. If they don't go my wife and I can't use the WD- Sway Control Hitch because of the set-up weight issue. Yes I know we can go slower but does anyone have any other solutions for sway control that don't have the weight set-up issues? It seems like every brand of WD hitch that I have looked into has this issue.

DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #2

California
What brand of hitch do you have.? I don't tow TT any more but when I did I didn't find the sway bar hard or heavy to install. It was harder to get the bars on until I bought a electric tongue jack. Then I just jacked it real high & bars just went on with no problem.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #3

Colorado
It's the Equal-i-zer brand hitch. Everything I've looked at has the big ball mount assembly. I didn't weigh it but I imagine the ball mount weighs more than 35 pounds and the bars about 20 lbs each. Neither of us can deal with that amount of weight. We do have the electric tongue jack as you mentioned.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:25 PM   #4

Colorado
What are you towing it with? I see yours weigh's a bit under 5K LBS (dry). If you can get rid of the WDH then just install an EZ-LIFT friction sway control.
Friction Sway Control by EAZ-LIFT on Sale - PPL Motor Homes
We use this system on our 08 Land Rover with a 240 BHSL. It is a similar length and weight to yours.
And BTW, I'm no expert at all! Just relaying the system we use and it would eliminate the trouble your having with lifting the parts.
Good luck!
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:46 PM   #5

Colorado
I'll look at the link in your post. I don't have a problem towing without a WD hitch. I just don't want to be a statistic due to sway. I have a Suburban 2500 with the 8.1 L motor.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:38 AM   #6

Colorado
Yes, this bar is only for sway control and in my experience it works great. We live in Colorado and have towed to Utah, Idaho and California 3 times. Highway speeds of 65-70MPH and it is steady as can be even in the wind. Could be a good solution for you.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:52 AM   #7

Colorado
Looks like it will do what I want it too. I'm going to go and talk to the local RV dealer tomorrow about it. I live in Golden but I have been thru Ridgeway with my Pop-Up a few years ago.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:56 AM   #8

Colorado
That's great, we have good friends in Golden and get up there a few times a year for a visit.
I hope the sway controller works for you!
Old 07-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #9

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdhealy4 View Post
After being a pop-up camper family for over a decade we decided to go the TT route because the beds were too hard and the effort to set-up and tear-down did not make the trip very enjoyable. We bought a 275BH and so far so good. Only one trip so far though. It's put away for the winter. There is a problem with the TT that my wife and I had not anticipated. We bought an Equ-a-lizer WD hitch with the TT and anticipated that we needed to do that. What we didn't anticipate was the extreame (to us) weight of the ball mount and bars. We bought the BK to accomodate the kids and grandkids. When they go my son-in-law can do all the heavy lifting and setup. If they don't go my wife and I can't use the WD- Sway Control Hitch because of the set-up weight issue. Yes I know we can go slower but does anyone have any other solutions for sway control that don't have the weight set-up issues? It seems like every brand of WD hitch that I have looked into has this issue.

Nicky New Guy here,
But, I understand your problem. I'm an old fart with old fart aches and pains.

As someone else mentioned above. With your electric tongue jack, crank the tongue ( attached to truck ) all the way up. This makes the SWAY Arms easy to attach and remove. You can also use the tool that is supplied with the hitch to help. You still have to pick the bars up and insert them in the sockets. If necessary, team work should help.

Good Luck!
Bill

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote