Tow mirrors - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #1

Texas
Tow mirrors

I'm having a hard time seeing around my Voltage 3200 with my factory tow mirrors(Dodge). Has anybody used the Cipa expendable mirrors? Do they extend any wider that the OEM flip-ups?

CaptJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #2

Nevada
I have found that if I setup the convex mirror to see behind me and use the large mirror for blind spots it is easy to see.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #3

Texas
Thanks for the input. But my main problem is not being able to see down the side of the trailer when backing. It's impossible to tell when I have it straightened out or not. I believe just a little more width in the mirrors would be a huge help.
CaptJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #4

South Carolina
We tried the strap-on types, but they kept slipping, and we lost one on the road. We then bought these. Great, wide view, but not real attractive. But they work great, and are easy-on, easy-off. Amazon.com: CIPA 11750, Fender Mount Towing Mirror: Automotive
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJake View Post
Thanks for the input. But my main problem is not being able to see down the side of the trailer when backing. It's impossible to tell when I have it straightened out or not. I believe just a little more width in the mirrors would be a huge help.
Do you adjust the mirrors for backing.

When I get to a spot where in need to back up, I adjust the mirrors out as far as they go there comes a point where it won't matter how far your mirrors stick out your not going to be able to see down the side.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
We tried the strap-on types, but they kept slipping, and we lost one on the road. We then bought these. Great, wide view, but not real attractive. But they work great, and are easy-on, easy-off. Amazon.com: CIPA 11750, Fender Mount Towing Mirror: Automotive
Gawd... I didn't know they still made those!

I had a set of those I used on a 1968 International Travelall we had. It was sarcastically referred to as the "Great White Hope" as in it is was Great big, White (and rust) and we Hoped it would make it to it's destination.

I don't know if those will fit on a curved fender Ford F-150 or not.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:03 AM   #7

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Gawd... I didn't know they still made those!
I don't know if those will fit on a curved fender Ford F-150 or not.

Aaron
The top parts are like: _|-- , they hook onto the open hood edge, and are secured by the closed hood. The bottom part is an open hook, about 1" diameter, rubber-covered, designed to hook under the wheel edge of the fender. My Dakota has a pretty big black plastic trim around the edge, but it fits just fine.
I do feel like Desi Arnez in the Long Long Trailer with them, and they're really wonderful when still attached to the truck while at WalMart, while the camper is camped. But I'm persnickety about getting them aimed and tightened, so I usually leave them on the vehicle for the duration of the trip.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote