Tires for towing - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2018, 12:58 PM   #1

Nevada
Tires for towing

Can mud tires like Mickey Thompson Tires be used to tow RVs?

Baron89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:31 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron89 View Post
You need to be careful about the load range of the tire. Most of us probably use tires that are actually made for trailers. I would say NO!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:45 PM   #3

Illinois
There's a lot of tire experts on this forum who can give you a definitive answer, but I'm saying no. Some guys get away with Light Truck tires however. I think a lot has to do with weight and sidewall strength.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:10 PM   #4

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron89 View Post

Question is not completely clear.

You can use almost any tires on the tow vehicle. Tires for use on the trailer is a different question. Usually you will find that the GAWR (Axle load capacity) is high enough to require ST type tires.

Your RV has a Vehicle Certification label AKA Tire Placard, on it (outside, driver side, toward the front) that gives you the GAWR and tire size and the recommended inflation which is usually the same as the inflation number molded on the tire sidewall.

If you want to change type or size tire on the RV you MUST select tires that have equal or greater load capacity than the OE tires when inflated to the same level.

You can learn more about tires, loading and inflation on my RV tire Blog. www.RVTireSafety.net
Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #5

Tennessee
Vague questions are vague.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #6

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Question is not completely clear.

You can use almost any tires on the tow vehicle. Tires for use on the trailer is a different question. Usually you will find that the GAWR (Axle load capacity) is high enough to require ST type tires.

Your RV has a Vehicle Certification label AKA Tire Placard, on it (outside, driver side, toward the front) that gives you the GAWR and tire size and the recommended inflation which is usually the same as the inflation number molded on the tire sidewall.

If you want to change type or size tire on the RV you MUST select tires that have equal or greater load capacity than the OE tires when inflated to the same level.

You can learn more about tires, loading and inflation on my RV tire Blog. www.RVTireSafety.net
Stupid question ... so the psi indicated on the placard (and on the sidewall) on trailer tires is the "recommended" pressure and not the "maximum" pressure?

I've always taken the sidewall tire pressure on my car tires to mean 'do not exceed.'
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #7

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
Stupid question ... so the psi indicated on the placard (and on the sidewall) on trailer tires is the "recommended" pressure and not the "maximum" pressure?

I've always taken the sidewall tire pressure on my car tires to mean 'do not exceed.'
So, I've spent time looking through your blog ... I do need to check my sidewalls for the stamp information yet (will do that tonight). But I did happen to look at my placard last night to see that it stated 50psi (and I'm still running factory tires). I did weigh my trailer at its heaviest a few weeks ago and am right under the max recommended weight. So, theoretically, I should be running between 50 and 55 psi? (After confirming my sidewall information, of course.) Just trying to head the right direction ... I can provide more information tonight/tomorrow when I get a chance to gather it!
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
So, I've spent time looking through your blog ... I do need to check my sidewalls for the stamp information yet (will do that tonight). But I did happen to look at my placard last night to see that it stated 50psi (and I'm still running factory tires). I did weigh my trailer at its heaviest a few weeks ago and am right under the max recommended weight. So, theoretically, I should be running between 50 and 55 psi? (After confirming my sidewall information, of course.) Just trying to head the right direction ... I can provide more information tonight/tomorrow when I get a chance to gather it!
My placard matches my tire max 50psi, your tires should also be 50psi max. I always run 50psi in mine