Tire Pressure Monitor for Trailers - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2019, 08:41 PM   #1

Texas
Tire Pressure Monitor for Trailers

Hello all... Getting ready for another summer...

Do you have a tire pressure monitor and if so what kind/brand to you have and do you like it?? There are all sorts for tire monitors and prices to go with them. Just curious what everyone is using and if they work well of ya.

Been looking at the "Tire Minder" brand. We have a 34' Aspen Trail TT and l'm looking for something that will work with that for not too much $$$..

Thanks All.. Happy Camping..

Texas Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:21 PM   #2

Arizona
Get rid of those China bombs and you won't need a TPMS.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:13 AM   #3

Wyoming
As you said, plenty of options out there. Personally, I use the TST 507 system:

https://tsttruck.com/507-series-6-fl...r-display.html

It's pretty simple to use, and is expandable in case you have multiple trailers (RV or utility)... which I did when purchased. Plus, since my F-450 dually did not come with an OEM TPMS (dually trucks were exempted from the DOT requirement)... it also allows me to monitor my truck & RV tires on the same monitor.

I can't really comment on the other models, since I have no direct experience with them.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:58 AM   #4

California
I have a system called eezrv or eeztire that works great. Monitors pressure and temperature through battery operated valve stem caps. Best of all you don’t need to install a repeater or amplifier anywhere and it is expandable up to like 24 tires so for older trucks without TPMS it can work on your truck too.

In theory you could get higher heat in a tire if for instance a sidewall started to bulge before it blew out and the temperature monitors should show that before a major problem.

Been very happy with them for a couple of years especially since you can get a trailer flat and not even know it sometimes.

I looked at others that required the signal amp and was worried about this one but it seems to work great.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #5

Florida
I too am considering these things. Problem is that I already have too many "things" in the cockpit of my car! GPS, Radar Detector, drive camera (to record the idiots and the great scenery) and an iPad for engine monitoring. I wish I could be able to use the iPad for the TPMS system but I am afraid blutooth will not reach the cab.

https://www.rvweb.net/best-rv-tire-p...tems-reviewed/
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:20 PM   #6

Arizona
Two votes for the TST 507. Best tires in the world will generally leak air if punctured. How about a leaky valve stem or Schrader valve? I want to know if a tire has a slow leak so I can stop before the tire, and my trailer, are damaged or people are injured. With the alarms most TPMS's have there is no need to constantly watch the monitor, it will let you know there is a problem. Get a system installed and you will feel more comfortable towing with the added knowledge available.
FWIW I installed metal stems for better support of the sensors.
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:33 PM   #7

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Camper View Post
Hello all... Getting ready for another summer...

Do you have a tire pressure monitor and if so what kind/brand to you have and do you like it?? There are all sorts for tire monitors and prices to go with them. Just curious what everyone is using and if they work well of ya.

Been looking at the "Tire Minder" brand. We have a 34' Aspen Trail TT and l'm looking for something that will work with that for not too much $$$..

Thanks All.. Happy Camping..

After some research. And yes the "good" ones are $$$$$. I tried this "cheap" setup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not in stock now.

Has worked like a charm for over a year. And the tires balanced ok with them on.

Good Luck
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:59 PM   #8

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Get rid of those China bombs and you won't need a TPMS.

So are you claiming that tires made in countries other than China will never get a puncture or cut or have a valve leak? You seem to have an opinion not supported by facts.
Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:02 PM   #9

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I too am considering these things. Problem is that I already have too many "things" in the cockpit of my car! GPS, Radar Detector, drive camera (to record the idiots and the great scenery) and an iPad for engine monitoring. I wish I could be able to use the iPad for the TPMS system but I am afraid blutooth will not reach the cab.

https://www.rvweb.net/best-rv-tire-p...tems-reviewed/

I bought a Tire Traker TT500 as it has a lifetime warranty and you charge the monitor overnight and then do not need any 12v cord when driving down the highway. For me the monitor charge seems to be good for a couple of days.
Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:48 PM   #10

Colorado
tire heat

Hey Tireman, I just went to read your blog. Great information there.

I use the TST507, it works OK. But here is a funny story. I had an extra tire monitor so I put it on the truck spare. One day, my truck spare temperature zoomed up like crazy! I pulled over as soon as safe to do so, and checked it out. Turns out my exhaust had rusted away, and my diesel exhaust was blowing right on the spare.

I like tire monitors on everything. Even the spare! And I use steel valve stems on everything. And I use commercial truck tires on my trailers. Currently my trailer tires are load range G (it came with E) and I carefully measure the weight and set the pressure accordingly.

Tires are probably the most important thing on your RV concerning safety. Tireman's blog is clearly written by a tire professional and well worth the read.
leisuresolar@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:36 AM   #11

Arizona
I've been using a TST 507 TPMS on my rig. I think programming the system could be easier. The instructions could be much better. I had to add the RF repeater because the receiver kept dropping the sensors for 30-60 minutes at a time which made the receiver beep incessantly unless I powered it off and on again to reset everything. MUST USE METAL STEMS WITH THESE SENDERS! The rubber stems will fail due to the mass of the senders and the centrifugal force of the spinning wheels. Believe me, I know.
Despite my quibbles the system actually works quite well. It has paid for itself in the cost of tires I did not have to replace because they went flat without my knowledge and were destroyed.
I highly recommend a TPMS for the peace of mind they can provide. I just wish they were easier to set up.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:13 PM   #12

Arizona
I have been using the EEZRV Tire Pressure and Temp. Monitoring System since last summer. It worked flawlessly the first 6 month. Lately, despite replacing all the batteries, the system will randomly lose contact with the tires. This results in an annoying beep every time the system goes through the 4 tires. Then the tire which was previously not reporting will come back on line and start reporting. Does anyone else have this problem? We have a 2 week trip planned and I am wondering if I should replace all 4 tire sensors?
Guy Lombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:26 PM   #13

Illinois
This is something I am also looking into. What I would like to get is one that is app based and will work with the Rand McNally GPS I am getting. It is tablet based RV GPS and can load 3rd party apps. I will find out if it can load and run the app from a few I have found, and if not then will check out the others listed here.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:35 PM   #14

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by leisuresolar@gmail.com View Post
Hey Tireman, I just went to read your blog. Great information there.

I use the TST507, it works OK. But here is a funny story. I had an extra tire monitor so I put it on the truck spare. One day, my truck spare temperature zoomed up like crazy! I pulled over as soon as safe to do so, and checked it out. Turns out my exhaust had rusted away, and my diesel exhaust was blowing right on the spare.

I like tire monitors on everything. Even the spare! And I use steel valve stems on everything. And I use commercial truck tires on my trailers. Currently my trailer tires are load range G (it came with E) and I carefully measure the weight and set the pressure accordingly.

Tires are probably the most important thing on your RV concerning safety. Tireman's blog is clearly written by a tire professional and well worth the read.

Good company to work with, I also put a monitor on my TT spare. These do work very well. I change batteries at the beginning of the season.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #15

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Lombardo View Post
I have been using the EEZRV Tire Pressure and Temp. Monitoring System since last summer. It worked flawlessly the first 6 month. Lately, despite replacing all the batteries, the system will randomly lose contact with the tires. This results in an annoying beep every time the system goes through the 4 tires. Then the tire which was previously not reporting will come back on line and start reporting. Does anyone else have this problem? We have a 2 week trip planned and I am wondering if I should replace all 4 tire sensors?

If the salesman who sold you the TPMS knew much about actual RV usage he/she would have recommended the use of the signal repeater. Didn't they bring this up when you were talking with them?
Old 04-28-2019, 04:05 PM   #16

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
This is something I am also looking into. What I would like to get is one that is app based and will work with the Rand McNally GPS I am getting. It is tablet based RV GPS and can load 3rd party apps. I will find out if it can load and run the app from a few I have found, and if not then will check out the others listed here.

Haven't hears of any aftermarket TPMS that works with GPS or with other car/truck TPM systems. If you find one I would like to know about it.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #17

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Haven't hears of any aftermarket TPMS that works with GPS or with other car/truck TPM systems. If you find one I would like to know about it.

Sort of like this, https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Pre...5GFXYCWWWN7GZQ

Uses blue tooth though, so only good for the vehicle the phone using the app is in. Still looking to see if there is an app based one with repeater.

The RM GPS that I am getting is Tablet based so it is mutli function, can browse the web, run other apps that can e downloaded. I will know more when I get it and set it up.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #18

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Sort of like this, https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Pre...5GFXYCWWWN7GZQ

Uses blue tooth though, so only good for the vehicle the phone using the app is in. Still looking to see if there is an app based one with repeater.

The RM GPS that I am getting is Tablet based so it is mutli function, can browse the web, run other apps that can e downloaded. I will know more when I get it and set it up.
Tire pressure monitoring range: 100-900kpa

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #19

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Tire pressure monitoring range: 100-900kpa

Well it is cheap chinese junk! LOL It was just an example of what I am trying to find, I don't trust any of these cheap chinese things anyway.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:45 PM   #20

Arizona
I ordered it on Amazon because it had 67% 5 Star reviews. I just read some recent reviews and learned there is signal booster available. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
I will call the supplier tomorrow to discuss this situation. The book says the system should be good for 53 feet without a booster. My whole trailer and truck from bumper to bumper is 40 feet.

Guy Lombardo is offline   Reply With Quote