Thinking About New Tow Vehicle - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2018, 01:23 PM   #1

North Carolina
Thinking About New Tow Vehicle

I currently tow a 2016 291RESL with a 2002 Cadillac Escalade. I am very careful about how much weight I put in it, and where I add it. The Escalade actually does a decent job, but I am not going to be accelerating up any hills. I am doing good if I can keep speed on a long incline. The thing I hate the most is that I have to constantly fill up the gas tank on trips. I get around 9 mpg on a 25 gallon tank.

(I know I am using the model designations for specific brands, but I am open to all brands)

I have been considering a new TV. My hangup is do I go for something like a diesel 2500 HD, or a high tow rated 1500 with more gears than the Escalade has?

I think the Escalade would do a better job if it had more gears. The engine seems fine 6L HO V8. It only has 4 gears which makes them really "tall" and keeps the engine from being in it's most efficient range.

I was thinking that if I got a 1500ish truck with more gears it would pull better, and possibly even be able to gain a little speed up a hill.

If I get something like a 2500 HD I just wouldn't have to worry much about weight unless I bought a new TT, but it would be much more expensive. I will not be using this truck except to take to work around once a month (to keep it moving) and then whenever I can go camping. Probably be a stretch to put 5k miles a year on it. For that reason I think I am going to look for a recent, but high millage truck and then take care of it.

Thoughts?

captainmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmorgan View Post
I currently tow a 2016 291RESL with a 2002 Cadillac Escalade. I am very careful about how much weight I put in it, and where I add it. The Escalade actually does a decent job, but I am not going to be accelerating up any hills. I am doing good if I can keep speed on a long incline. The thing I hate the most is that I have to constantly fill up the gas tank on trips. I get around 9 mpg on a 25 gallon tank.

(I know I am using the model designations for specific brands, but I am open to all brands)

I have been considering a new TV. My hangup is do I go for something like a diesel 2500 HD, or a high tow rated 1500 with more gears than the Escalade has?

I think the Escalade would do a better job if it had more gears. The engine seems fine 6L HO V8. It only has 4 gears which makes them really "tall" and keeps the engine from being in it's most efficient range.

I was thinking that if I got a 1500ish truck with more gears it would pull better, and possibly even be able to gain a little speed up a hill.

If I get something like a 2500 HD I just wouldn't have to worry much about weight unless I bought a new TT, but it would be much more expensive. I will not be using this truck except to take to work around once a month (to keep it moving) and then whenever I can go camping. Probably be a stretch to put 5k miles a year on it. For that reason I think I am going to look for a recent, but high millage truck and then take care of it.

Thoughts?
I have a Nissan Titan XD Platinum with the Cummins Diesel. Will tow to 12000 pounds and rated just under a 3/4 ton.

franktafl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #3

Illinois
My only advise (although I have a preference for diesel) is better to go larger than you need than something that just works for now. So many people under buy, Then either can't upgrade their trailer because they spent a ton of dough on a truck that barely fit the bill on their current unit, or they take it in the shorts and have to trade in to get a new truck to fit the larger, new trailer.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:59 PM   #4

North Carolina
I am glad you told me about the Nissan Titan XD. I mostly have only been looking at the GM/Dodge/Ford lineup with the occasional glance at others. The Titan seems like it would be a lower cost option if I wanted a diesel. If you do not mind me asking what kin of range and MPG are you getting towing? I would love to be able to get 300 miles out of a tank.

I have heard some talk about people renting a truck to tow their camper when they need to. Anyone do this?
captainmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:18 PM   #5

Tennessee
Quote:
I am glad you told me about the Nissan Titan XD. I mostly have only been looking at the GM/Dodge/Ford lineup with the occasional glance at others. The Titan seems like it would be a lower cost option if I wanted a diesel. If you do not mind me asking what kin of range and MPG are you getting towing? I would love to be able to get 300 miles out of a tank.

I have heard some talk about people renting a truck to tow their camper when they need to. Anyone do this?
Diesels can be a fine choice, just know that maintenance costs are substantially higher and depending where you live fuel costs can be higher. Diesel is routinely 30-50 cents higher a gallon around here. Add that to the cost of DEF and it completely ruled out diesels for me.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:

Towing my camper, i get around 11- 14 mpg. it has a 26 gallon tank and DEF costs about 7.00 for 2.5 gallons. it has a higher upkeep cost but for towing, it's amazing.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #7

Florida
truck and camper
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0838.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	4765  
Old 06-05-2018, 05:16 PM   #8

Illinois
That's funny, because in Illinois (suburban Chicago area) diesel is running around 10 cents a gallon cheaper than gas. My truck uses maybe 5-10 gallons of DEF a year. I buy the generic which is around $9 for a 2.5 gallon container at Walmart I think. You're right on the maintenance, although at 41,000 miles mine is rock solid (Bought extended warranty just to be safe). The thing is a monster though. Pulls my 21,000 5th wheel like it's not there. Plus, I figure I'd go thru a couple of gas trucks before my diesel gives up. For what it's worth the diesels hold their value better as well I think.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:51 PM   #9

Tennessee
I was less than 10 minutes away from signing the paperwork on the Ram 1500 diesel when they put out a national stop order on all sales. I drive a lot for work, around 40k a year, so the increased cost of diesel fuel would be evened out by the better mileage. I don't tow a lot of weight so I don't need or want a giant truck.

I took a deep breath and took a few more days to research diesels and decided to stick with a gasser. My last one is still going strong at 580,000 miles, I hope to get
300,000 out of my Colorado. One thing that scared me off was the diesel was $150 for an oil change, and that was a "special" from the dealer. At the time it took an oil that no one around here sold. That was 2 years ago.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:18 PM   #10

California
I had a 2011 Ford Eco Boost that towed a 2016 Jayco 28bhbs extremely well. Trailer is 7250 dry. But the fuel mileage was horrible, 7-10 mpg. Traded the truck in for a 2500 Duramax. The Duramax is an occasional driver. Drove it about 5200 miles last year, with 3500+ towing. Would not go back to a gas rig for towing. Maintenance is probably less than $750 a year. Also the 12-14mpg and cheaper diesel prices outside of California make it an awesome and SAFE tow rig. Also keeps the option to upgrade to a heavier TT or 5th wheel. Just my 2 cents! Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
zborges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:20 AM   #11

Idaho
Don't buy a diesel unless you need it. Upkeep is too expensive. If your only real complaint is driving range on a tank of fuel, get a bigger fuel tank.
Idcruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #12

Florida
Well, for me I needed an SUV (Big one) instead of a pickup and we all know that diesel is the best towing platform. I racked my brain for a long time and in the end, there was only one...Ford Excursion diesel. Yes, the 6.0L diesel has some problems but in the 2005 year, Ford had eliminated most of them. And yes, there are some more things one can do to make it one of the best engines out there (yes, that's true) and they cost a bit of money, but in the end, it's far less than a new or nearly new diesel pickup and you end up with the ultimate SUV that will tow a lot (11,000 lbs) easily. Just my way of approaching that 'tow vehicle' problem.
Danj2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj2718 View Post
Well, for me I needed an SUV (Big one) instead of a pickup and we all know that diesel is the best towing platform. I racked my brain for a long time and in the end, there was only one...Ford Excursion diesel. Yes, the 6.0L diesel has some problems but in the 2005 year, Ford had eliminated most of them. And yes, there are some more things one can do to make it one of the best engines out there (yes, that's true) and they cost a bit of money, but in the end, it's far less than a new or nearly new diesel pickup and you end up with the ultimate SUV that will tow a lot (11,000 lbs) easily. Just my way of approaching that 'tow vehicle' problem.
Congrats on your choice.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #14

Idaho
I would like to have used an Excursion for a TV. Perfect for a lighter weight TT.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:56 PM   #15

Florida
TV??? And your point??
Old 06-10-2018, 11:59 PM   #16

Idaho
Tow vehicle. I have a fifth wheel.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:18 AM   #17

Florida
I didn't think of that...It would be kind of hard with an Ex.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #18

Oregon
Bought a 29’ Kodiak last summer and initially towed it with our 2006 Tundra. Did an okay job but didn’t want to stress it out too much. So bought a 2014 F150 recently and have used it to tow over two different mountain passes and it hauled like a champ. Will get an Eide powered boat loader put on it in about two weeks and will be set for some high lakes camping over in central Oregon.
Researchhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:13 PM   #19

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Diesels can be a fine choice, just know that maintenance costs are substantially higher and depending where you live fuel costs can be higher. <snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idcruiserman View Post
Don't buy a diesel unless you need it. Upkeep is too expensive. If your only real complaint is driving range on a tank of fuel, get a bigger fuel tank.
I see people post this all the time, but don't see evidence of it. I've been driving a diesel for 9 years and put 130,000 miles on it, and have not seen the higher costs people say.

- The fuel is 10-20 cents more per gallon, but I get 2-3 MPG better in the city and about 4 MPG better on the highway.
- Yes, oil changes cost more, but going by the vehicle's computer, I'm changing my oil roughly every 12,000 miles. That's more than double the miles I was getting with my previous gas truck.
- The only added cost is the fuel filter, which runs about $35, and usually gets changed with the oil.

Maybe I've been lucky, but personally I would not be discouraged from buying a diesel truck because of these supposed "higher maintenance costs".
Old 06-15-2018, 01:40 AM   #20

California
Awesome points! Love my Duramax for all of the reasons listed above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
I see people post this all the time, but don't see evidence of it. I've been driving a diesel for 9 years and put 130,000 miles on it, and have not seen the higher costs people say.

- The fuel is 10-20 cents more per gallon, but I get 2-3 MPG better in the city and about 4 MPG better on the highway.
- Yes, oil changes cost more, but going by the vehicle's computer, I'm changing my oil roughly every 12,000 miles. That's more than double the miles I was getting with my previous gas truck.
- The only added cost is the fuel filter, which runs about $35, and usually gets changed with the oil.

Maybe I've been lucky, but personally I would not be discouraged from buying a diesel truck because of these supposed "higher maintenance costs".
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

zborges is offline   Reply With Quote