Rearview camera for short travel trailer? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #1

Ohio
Question Rearview camera for short travel trailer?

So … a new paycheck means a new purchase to outfit the new camper. I’ve decided that my next purchase will be a rear camera for my trailer (a 21’ Coleman 16FB). As I’ll be solo-ing most of the time I don’t have the luxury of a second set of eyes as I maneuver around parking spots and such. But I have to admit at this point that I’m totally unsure of which product to put my money on. I do understand you tend to get what you pay for in terms of technology. But I’m not in a place where I’m willing to spend $500 (or more) on a camera system. I would like wireless so I can complete the install myself. I would like something that’s “always on” so I can see lanes behind me as I drive as well as my parking spot as I back up. I would like something pretty wide angle as I’ll start with a single camera (it doesn’t look like the three camera systems come in a wireless option.)

TadiBrothers seems to come up often as highly recommended. For an extra $50 I can upgrade from 120degree viewing to 170 degree viewing. $225 for 120 degree, $275 for 170 degree.
Wireless RV Backup Camera kit-7 Inch Monitor|Tadibrothers

But then eRapta comes along with some pretty good reviews and is significantly cheaper (but not “Big Lots” cheap). $150
https://www.amazon.com/eRapta-ERW01-...ireless+camera

But then you have these models that look significantly similar and still have decent reviews and are “Big Lots” cheap. $75.
https://www.amazon.com/ATian-Built-W...ireless+camera

Amazon has a pretty good return policy, and my first solo trip isn’t for a couple of months. Is it worth risking it to save quite a few dollars? Or would it fail shortly after the return policy and I’d be throwing my money away?

These decisions are always easier when they’re the same price and have clear good/bad reviews … or when the cheap ones have bad reviews and the expensive ones have good reviews. But the only clear difference on these guys is the price!

Help?

PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #2

California
I have this camera for my 19 foot TT. I use it mainly for hitching up as do not have rear camera on the truck. Also could be used for trailer backing if you have a rear trailer bumper to put it on. Camera is magnetic.

https://www.amazon.com/Rear-View-Saf...ords=RVS-83112

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:45 PM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Pam,

Do you use iStuff or are you an Android Gal?

They make a camera called iBall that works pretty well from what I understand. Also I know a couple of people that use the TadiBrothers system and they say that the customer service is second to none. FWIW these are guys that use it on their heavy construction equipment and depend on it to work all the time every time.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:55 PM   #4

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
So … a new paycheck means a new purchase to outfit the new camper. I’ve decided that my next purchase will be a rear camera for my trailer (a 21’ Coleman 16FB). As I’ll be solo-ing most of the time I don’t have the luxury of a second set of eyes as I maneuver around parking spots and such. But I have to admit at this point that I’m totally unsure of which product to put my money on. I do understand you tend to get what you pay for in terms of technology. But I’m not in a place where I’m willing to spend $500 (or more) on a camera system. I would like wireless so I can complete the install myself. I would like something that’s “always on” so I can see lanes behind me as I drive as well as my parking spot as I back up. I would like something pretty wide angle as I’ll start with a single camera (it doesn’t look like the three camera systems come in a wireless option.)

TadiBrothers seems to come up often as highly recommended. For an extra $50 I can upgrade from 120degree viewing to 170 degree viewing. $225 for 120 degree, $275 for 170 degree.
Wireless RV Backup Camera kit-7 Inch Monitor|Tadibrothers

But then eRapta comes along with some pretty good reviews and is significantly cheaper (but not “Big Lots” cheap). $150
https://www.amazon.com/eRapta-ERW01-...ireless+camera

But then you have these models that look significantly similar and still have decent reviews and are “Big Lots” cheap. $75.
https://www.amazon.com/ATian-Built-W...ireless+camera

Amazon has a pretty good return policy, and my first solo trip isn’t for a couple of months. Is it worth risking it to save quite a few dollars? Or would it fail shortly after the return policy and I’d be throwing my money away?

These decisions are always easier when they’re the same price and have clear good/bad reviews … or when the cheap ones have bad reviews and the expensive ones have good reviews. But the only clear difference on these guys is the price!

Help?
This is something I would be interested in as well. My purpose would for traffic monitoring. Looking forward to the feed back you get.
BarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:13 AM   #5

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Pam,

Do you use iStuff or are you an Android Gal?

They make a camera called iBall that works pretty well from what I understand. Also I know a couple of people that use the TadiBrothers system and they say that the customer service is second to none. FWIW these are guys that use it on their heavy construction equipment and depend on it to work all the time every time.

Aaron
Bite your tongue :P ... I'm an Android gal all the way!

But Apple does have some cool toys!
Old 02-07-2017, 12:22 AM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Bite your tongue :P ... I'm an Android gal all the way!

But Apple does have some cool toys!

We are a house divided I am the Android guy and my bride is firmly planted in the fruit orchard. Unfortunately I have to be the tech support for both. It's enough to make you drink... MORE!

In case anyone is wondering this is the iBall Camera, I don't have one, but have seen a couple in action and they are pretty slick. I don't know if any such thing exists for Android users.

Aaron
Old 02-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #7

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

In case anyone is wondering this is the iBall Camera, I don't have one, but have seen a couple in action and they are pretty slick. I don't know if any such thing exists for Android users.

Aaron
The iBall actually has nothing to do with Apple, as far as I can tell. Looks pretty slick, but they specifically advise against using it as a monitoring camera while driving as they don't warrant the magnet to hold on through standard driving forces.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #8

Oklahoma
A camera used for hitching purposes is great. A camera used to monitor traffic behind your RV is dangerous. Don't worry about what's behind you, worry about what's in front of you.
Some will say they want the camera so they will know if it's clear when they pass another vehicle. For the most part, any vehicle you'll pass while pulling your RV is either going really slow or stopped on the side of the road. Practice will teach you to trust your mirrors when changing lanes.
As far as backing into a parking space, again, trust your mirrors and if in doubt get out and a do a thorough site survey of the spot. A camera will not see what your eyes will see.
I have a camera in the truck that is beneficial for connecting the utility trailer, still, I get out and look just to satisfy my brain. I have a back up camera on the 3800 but it doesn't get used. I trust my eyes and brain to tell me what I need to know.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #9

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
A camera used for hitching purposes is great. A camera used to monitor traffic behind your RV is dangerous. Don't worry about what's behind you, worry about what's in front of you.
Some will say they want the camera so they will know if it's clear when they pass another vehicle. For the most part, any vehicle you'll pass while pulling your RV is either going really slow or stopped on the side of the road. Practice will teach you to trust your mirrors when changing lanes.
As far as backing into a parking space, again, trust your mirrors and if in doubt get out and a do a thorough site survey of the spot. A camera will not see what your eyes will see.
I have a camera in the truck that is beneficial for connecting the utility trailer, still, I get out and look just to satisfy my brain. I have a back up camera on the 3800 but it doesn't get used. I trust my eyes and brain to tell me what I need to know.

I get everything you're saying. Even with my rear cameras on my minivan I use it to see IF something is in the way, but I use my eyeballs to see WHERE it is.

My spot in my storage facility is pretty narrow and I'm nervous that I’m going to hit my neighbor on the 'far' side. Practice will make perfect and eventually I may not need the camera to park there ... but I need to get to that point without causing any property damage.

I don’t think I’ll be passing very many people (I’ll more likely be the one in the way) … but there will still be plenty of times where I need to make sure a lane is clear before I move into it. I’ve only had it out twice since purchase to practice, and it’s happened both times. The main road in our area is a four lane highway (freeway? … the one with access and occasional stop lights). One time I had to turn left onto it and the road was fairly clear aside from one pick up truck coming my way in the ‘far’ lane. I turned left into the near lane and the truck never passed me … but I could no longer see where he was … and I had to turn right. I turned on my turn signal and moved into the lane slowly. He wasn’t there. Evidently he had turned off the road. But it was still scary. Visual confirmation of a clear lane would go a long way for my sanity.

I intend to use it as a tool, not a crutch.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #10

California
Do not ever worry about being the slow one in the way. I live in calif. and tow mine between 55-60 (keeps up with the trucks) depending on where we are. We are are "camping" so the trip is part of the experience. When I do pass I try to use the suns shadow (if the sun it right) to let me know when we are by someone. Trucks used to flash their lights but do not do that anymore. If you pass me I will flash lights when you are clear. Some RV's will do this.

Also make sure you have good mirrors on both sides of your truck so you can see the entire lane and beside your rig. And as you drive along look back and try and gauge where cars etc are as they pass you. You will get a feel for this to more you drive. Be remember have fun as that is what this whole thing is about.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
The iBall actually has nothing to do with Apple, as far as I can tell. Looks pretty slick, but they specifically advise against using it as a monitoring camera while driving as they don't warrant the magnet to hold on through standard driving forces.
Hmmm... the camera I was thinking of only worked with iStuff. Surprised Apple hasn't smacked these guys with a cease and desist order for using the iBall name.

Aaron
Old 02-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #12

Michigan
Quote:
Correct - nothing to do with Apple. I have one and use it a lot for hitching trailers to the bumper of the truck. Magnet is definitely not strong enough for going down the road. But I have attacked it to the steps of the Voltage to see the other side when backing into a space. It is definitely handy for anyone hooking up to trailers. I also use it to hitch the Voltage up as I have a large tool box/gas tank in the bed of the truck and I cannot see the hitch from the cab.

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote