question about descending a steep graded driveway - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2017, 01:35 AM   #1

Colorado
question about descending a steep graded driveway

My sister and her Husband own 4 acres of land in the mountains of Colorado. They just recently had a road graded into their property and invited us to camp there over memorial day weekend. I went to look at the property to see if we could do it with our trailer and here is the issue. I have a 31 foot (hitch to bumper) trailer. It is a dirt road to their property, and as you turn into their property, the newly graded road drops to about a 16% decline for about 30 yards, and then levels out to where we would put the trailer. My concern is with that big of a drop in such a short distance would it damage my hitch, trailer frame or truck frame. I would take the weight distribution bars off before going down, but is it even possible to do this. I am worried about the torque on the hitch as the truck descends and the trailer stays on the road. once both are headed down, i have no worries, it is that first little bit over the ledge. Thoughts?

knkbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:35 AM   #2

South Carolina
I'll appreciate hearing other opinions on this also. But if I'm thinking correctly, I wouldn't worry about going down. As your truck heads downward, the WD bars would tilt upward, and remove stress from the hitch. The trailer would follow, limited only by the radius and coupling of the ball hitch.
On the other hand, when you leave, and begin the rise up the hill, the WD bars will pull down a little on the trailer. If you want to avoid that, just pull it up the hill without them, and attach them once you're on the level street, and off of their drive.
What about it guys? Am I thinking right or wrong?

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:29 AM   #3

Colorado
I imagine something like this but with out the boulders...
Old 03-29-2017, 03:42 PM   #4

Tennessee
Not sure of the grade percentage on my driveway, but it's steep. I've never had any problems going up or down with the wdh on. I'd be more worried about the rear end dragging and possibly damaging the plumbing.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:07 AM   #5

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Not sure of the grade percentage on my driveway, but it's steep. I've never had any problems going up or down with the wdh on. I'd be more worried about the rear end dragging and possibly damaging the plumbing.
I only know the grade because my f150 has an off road package, and going down the truck said it was 10 degrees which converts to around a 16% grade. I guess its not really worth it. I am a newbie to towing (I haven't even had to back into a spot yet :-( ) so it would probably be best to just pass on the invite, and go camp somewhere else for the weekend.