Problem adjusting WDH - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2017, 02:38 PM   #21

New York
Sent you a pm yesterday

nitroscope8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:19 PM   #22

New York
After installing the timbrens and after a 1831 mile trip to South Carolina I can happily report that the ride is night and day. The bounce has reduced almost completely and overall trailer handling has improved. I highly recommend the timbren system. Ride quality remains unchanged when unloaded and is pleasant when fully loaded. I'm impressed.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:54 PM   #23

Oregon
Sounds like you got it resolved but I was wondering if your tongue weight figures are actual numbers you came up with at the scales or from trailer specs? With a dry trailer weight of 6400 and cargo of 3100 you are looking at 9500#. With a recommended TW being between 10 and 15% Your TW should actually be between 950# to 1425#. If that is the case your 1000# bars could be at their upper limit. Maybe a heavier WDH is in order?

I say this because I just went though the same thing with my new rig. I went to a 1400# WDH and it was way easier to spring the bars and solved the weight transfer issue I was having.

All that said. When all is done you want a little squat on your truck. You should never really achieve 0 drop on the trucks rear suspension...
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:34 PM   #24

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
Sounds like you got it resolved but I was wondering if your tongue weight figures are actual numbers you came up with at the scales or from trailer specs? With a dry trailer weight of 6400 and cargo of 3100 you are looking at 9500#. With a recommended TW being between 10 and 15% Your TW should actually be between 950# to 1425#. If that is the case your 1000# bars could be at their upper limit. Maybe a heavier WDH is in order?

I say this because I just went though the same thing with my new rig. I went to a 1400# WDH and it was way easier to spring the bars and solved the weight transfer issue I was having.

All that said. When all is done you want a little squat on your truck. You should never really achieve 0 drop on the trucks rear suspension...
I don't get it. Why do you want squat on your rear end? My 150 is dead level front and rear with the trailer attached and 1 inch nose down on the trailer. Any "squat" in the rear of the truck just contributes to needing to wrench the bars tighter to keep the front end of the tow vehicle down. Caveat, all setups are different.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
radomcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:05 AM   #25

Oregon
I guess I could have said that a little better. Level is good!

Considering that most trucks are high in the rear before any weight is applied the truck is squatting or lowering to a level position.

As far as OP is concerned I am thinking his hitch is underrated...

By 0 drop what I was referring to when setting up your WDH if you measure your rear wheel well at let's say 31" unloaded you don't want it to be 31" when WDH is loaded. A 1/2" drop to 30" 1/2" would be ideal.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:57 AM   #26

New York
My tongue weight is actual weight measured with a sherline tongue scale.

I was thinking about going with a completely different wdh. One with a cam action sway control and one without chains, but for now this setup works very well.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:04 AM   #27

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroscope8 View Post
After installing the timbrens and after a 1831 mile trip to South Carolina I can happily report that the ride is night and day. The bounce has reduced almost completely and overall trailer handling has improved. I highly recommend the timbren system. Ride quality remains unchanged when unloaded and is pleasant when fully loaded. I'm impressed.
My experience is very similar to yours. Although the previous setup seemed to handle well I hated looking at how much the rear end of the truck sagged. With the Timbrens it all looks level now and though the ride is slightly rougher they seem to provide a more solid feel with less rolling motion and less bounce. The trailer handles beautifully. I have towed from Tucson to Indianapolis so far.