Power chips in diesel engines - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #1

Wisconsin
Power chips in diesel engines

I just bought a new 2014 voltage 3600 in Nov. and just bought a 2014 F350 with the powerstroke 6.7. I know I can get around 15 mpg not towing and around 9 towing, but thinking of putting in a power chip to improve the mpg when not towing. Just looking for some input on others that have put these chips in there trucks to improve mpg when not towing or towing. Hoping for some good feed back. Thanks...Derek

dhart90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #2

Texas
dhart90 I have had friends that have gone the chip route and been pleased. I have not because it will void any warranty on the engine.
Enjoy your new rig!

Old 03-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #3

Tennessee
I had a 3 stage Hyperteck programmable tuner. It plugged into the diagnostic port. When going to the dealer for warranty work just un programmed and they never knew of its existence. With that said it was an older Dodge. Not sure about this new stuff. I would join a forum that's very knowledgeable about your 6.7 powerstroke. You'll be suprised what these guys know. Good luck. try PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum or others similar.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #4

Louisiana
Honestly I don't think any tuner will make any noticable differences in MPG while towing. It takes fuel to pull these heavy toy haulers.

I agree with Camper2b, check on a PowerStroke forum. I know the new computers in GM vehicles record everything including programming changes and returning to stock.

Another thing to keep in mind is the added stress that a tuner will put on the engine and driveline components of your vehicle, especially when towing. That being said, I do run a mild "towing" tune on my vehicle, but make sure never to get on the pedal hard when I have my 3600 (16,000 lbs) hooked to truck.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #5

Texas
What ever you do, make sure you get a tuner that will program engine and transmission. I frequent powerstrokearmy.com and you can find a bunch of good info there and on powerstroke.org. I have a Spartan tuner on my 2009 but, will be getting H&S when I get a dually in the not so distant future. The reason for the move to H&S is on the fly adjustment and the option of custom tuning. Hell, they are saying the 15 fords will have 440HP stock and close to 900 tq!! Not sure if I would need any more than that!!
firestone bags with AirRide wireless auto level Curt Q20 on R5 rails
Jbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 AM   #6

Washington
There are tuners out there for your truck, they WILL void your warranty, and the dealer WILL know if you have had one on the truck, no matter how it loads or installs. No matter what "THEY" say, the computers in the truck will show if you have had a tuner on there.

That being said, some very nice things can happen when you do some work to your truck. You will get improved mileage, both towing and empty. I am a Cummins fan, but am familiar with some of the Ford stuff, and that new 6.7 is a very nice engine, and some say the best since the old 7.3 Powerstroke.

Before you start making any mods to your truck, you need to answer some questions. Is this your first diesel, or are you familiar with their quirks? Do you plan on keeping it for a very long time, or just a few years? Are you able to do any of the mechanical or electrical work on it yourself, or are you paying someone to do it for you? Is it your only vehicle, or do you use it mainly just for towing and occasional other stuff?

With that I would suggest, as others did, to join a diesel truck forum, join several there are MANY. I belong to several just for Dodge Cummins diesels. There is some great info out there, and I am sure someone has done just what you want, tried it different ways, and has reported his results. The trick is to find the right info that helps you, and that takes HOURS of reading, literally hours and days of research. Granted, you can take it down to the nearest truck performance place and say " Make it better", and they might, just not better for you. Not knocking any shops here, just saying the customer needs to have an idea of what they want, in order to get it from the shop. Read up on what others have done, how it worked for them, and what they thought of it or if they would do it different. Ask questions, but first search the threads. There is a lot of info already asked and answered, so search is your friend. The trickiest part of these forums and all their great amount of info is those who think they know more than they do and will tell this mis-information to anyone who doesn't know better. So be careful with that.

I don't know of any diesel shops in Wisconsin, but go buy the newest issue of Diesel Power and read thru the adds. Call up some shops and start asking what they recommend for your situation and what you want. There are some great shops out there.

I do know that SCT, Spartan, and some others I can't recall sell tuners for your truck. There are a couple places specializing in just Ford diesel performance. I hope you get what you want out of your truck, having a tuner or programmer is great. I enjoy mine, makes it very easy to have more than one tune. I use one for daily driving, one for towing when I don't need max performance, and one for playing with those little imports and mustangs. I get better mileage when empty and while towing, and my truck is even more fun to drive. I have added several mods to go along with the tuner, intake, intake manifold, exhaust, fuel supply and filtration, turbo, clutch, that kind of stuff.

Tow safe, enjoy that new truck and trailer.
Mike B.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
I have run the Bully Dog Triple Pup tuner for many years. When I installed it the mileage increased for towing and not towing. I would make sure you get one that tunes the transmission as well as the engine. One of my biggest complaints before adding the tuner was the shift points for the Allison when in towing mode. They were too high. When I installed the BD that was the first thing I noticed. The shift points were lowerd by a couple of MPG and was much better.

To be fair when I was investigating this I was told by several people the issue with just chipping is it will generate more heat. Not necessarily good! So I not only added the BD I also changed the exhaust and intake. More air, less back pressure. So to say it was just the BD wouldn't be 100% accurate. I have had the BD on for years and love it.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #8

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhart90 View Post
I just bought a new 2014 voltage 3600 in Nov. and just bought a 2014 F350 with the powerstroke 6.7. I know I can get around 15 mpg not towing and around 9 towing, but thinking of putting in a power chip to improve the mpg when not towing. Just looking for some input on others that have put these chips in there trucks to improve mpg when not towing or towing. Hoping for some good feed back. Thanks...Derek
My diesel guy put a reformatted CMI in my 2500HD said he would take it out in a couple weeks if I was unhappy. Very happy with it. 11-12 mpg with 287RE 8,600lbs plus 800lb ATV in truck. Lots of power for hills.
Good shout out to Curtis Trailers Aloha OR and Mike O'brien and Outlaw Diesel
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #9

Michigan
Like the other have said, it will help with mpg's a little, but at the expense of your warranty.. The know how old saying goes "you gotta pay to play"!
Be a Duramax guy, I am all about getting a custom tune put on your truck tailored to how you want it to behave. No off the self tuning box can do this.

PS: 15mpg unloaded

Edit: just seen you had a dually. 15mpg on a dually and being brand new is not that bad.. Give it some miles to break in "20k" and those number will come up a slightly..

2011 Denali 259REX
mijdirtyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote