My fuel milage. - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #21

Pennsylvania
2012 Ford Expedition w/ Kodiak 290BHSL

2012 Ford Expedition w/ Kodiak 290BHSL

The wife avg. 15 mpg arround home. I avg. 9.8 mpg towing 100 miles this past weekend. About 40% hills and 60% hwy.

vwgtiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #22

Texas
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
14 mpg unloaded 75/80 mph
16 mpg unloaded 65 mph
Towing a 3895 @ 18,000 lbs loaded
7 mpg windy / hilly
9 mpg flat / calm

One interesting note...
the top end of my towing fuel mileage didn't change when I upgraded from a dual axle TH @ 14,000 wet, however, I would get 9 mpg towing that trailer whether it was windy / hilly or flat / calm.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #23

Ontario
2013 Ford F-150 XLT with XTR and max-to package, Ecobbost, scab, 6.5' box....under 60mph, I actually do get 28mpg (Canadian gallons) and 21 in the city. When we hooked the boat up (3,400lbs), that dropped to 22mpg and 17 respectively. Add the truck camper in the truck and we were down to 17 and 12. Can't wait to see what it will be with our new rig, a 2014 Denali 289RK. I rarely go over 90kph (55US) so that helps keep the gas mileage down. No rush in getting where we are going so long as we get there Over the years, I picked up too many unfortunate travellers off the road or pulled them out of their car and then had to advise the families. That kind of slows things down for you.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #24

Wyoming
The trouble with only doing 55mph in the states west of the Mississippi is that the speed limits are in the 65-80 mph range.

A friend and I towed our rigs out to AZ last winter... and since I have a tendency to have a lead foot, we agreed that our max speed would be 65mph all the way across.

Well that worked fine in FL, AL, and MS... but by the time we were in Texas, there were many times where we were holding up traffic, and had lines behind us. 2 rigs riding nose to tail with only 2 lanes can tie up a LOT of traffic... especially if other rigs and/or tractor-trailers are in the mix. Since I can't stand people clogging up the works when I'm driving w/o the rig... when we stopped I told him that I was going to have to amend the plan.

I agreed on 65mph max so long as we weren't in a congested area and other traffic could pass us freely. If not, I would speed up to whatever the flow of traffic was until we again got into wide open spaces.

That seemed to work better... although there were a few times I end dup a few miles ahead of him.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:06 PM   #25

Arizona
I average 9.5 mpg towing. Just added a 91 gal. aux tank/toolbox.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #26
Site Team

North Carolina
2003 F150 4.6l V-8 3.55ls with factory tow package 17-19 on the highway empty, 11.5 or a bit less towing our Coleman CM16FBS, got about the same towing a 31' Airstream

1996 F350 PSD CC DRW 4.10ls... 15mpg empty or loaded, worst tank 10.5mpg towing a 15,000# low boy loaded. Towing Airstream 14...

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #27

Ontario
I agree ATCguy....I am the same way but up here, the speed limits are either 55 or 60 (90-100kph). Empty, I usually stick at about 10mph over as that's about the leeway most traffic cops give on our hwys but towing, I like to bring it down to the limit or slightly under, for safety and to save on fuel. When we decide to tour the south, we will stay away from major hwys just for that reason.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #28
Site Team

North Carolina
My two biggest concerns when towing are staying at a sane enough speed that I have full control of my rig at all times. The other is my trailer tires are ST and therefore are only speed rated to 65 mph. If someone wants to pass they can, but they aren't going to force me to exceed my safe speed.

FWIW we avoid major roads and heavy traffic areas as much as possible.

Aaron
Old 11-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #29

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
My two biggest concerns when towing are staying at a sane enough speed that I have full control of my rig at all times. The other is my trailer tires are ST and therefore are only speed rated to 65 mph. If someone wants to pass they can, but they aren't going to force me to exceed my safe speed.

FWIW we avoid major roads and heavy traffic areas as much as possible.

Aaron
I agree, and 65 seems to be the sweet spot for best fuel economy. While my tires are rated for higher speeds as they are not ST tires, I can usually squeeze around 10.5 mpg at 65. That number can vary if we are running into a strong headwind, for example.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #30

Ontario
OK...I'm a noob at TT towing, will be my first time next spring when we pick up our rig but I have towed a boat for a few years and the total length was just shy of 22 feet. I took it up over 60mph a few time and it did not feel safe. How can some of you folks tow big rigs at 65-70mph and say it's safe? I know that WD and anti-sway make a big difference but.....maybe it's having been a cop for 35yrs (11 of those on highways) that make me more cautious after all that I have seen and had to pick up off the road....just saying folks....not judging here, just making a statement and voicing an opinion so please, don't lash out at me Semis travel at those speeds but they have the weight + axles to keep them going straight however, a fiver or TT is not the same.....I would think.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #31

Wyoming
Well first off... a 5th wheel is a much more stable towing rig than a bumper-pull trailer. The weight and turning pivot is directly over the rear axle. This has a profound bearing on stability, and is why no anti-sway systems are necessary.

That said.. there's no reason a bumper-pull trailer can't be stable. A big part of that is usually a properly set up WD hitch with sway control built in. I prefer trunnion bar anti-sway over round bar, but that's a personal preference.

With the weight properly distributed between tow vehicle & towed vehicle (trailer), the suspension of both vehicles is enhanced and properly loaded. With anti-sway control, the trailer should be near rock-solid stable in both straight line and curvy conditions.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #32

Colorado
Towing at speed

We tow our 240BHSL (27ft) with our Land Rover LR3. Here in Colorado the speed limit on I-70 (West of the Front Range) is 75MPH. While I would never think of hitting speeds of 75-80MPH towing I regularly do 65-70. Mine has never had a problem and I've towed thousands of miles. The only time I feel anything is when a 18 wheeler passes, it pushes me for sure.
We take it out to California every year and their tow law seem crazy. The speed limit on I-15 is 65-70MPH but if towing you have to do 55MPH! That just seem dangerous and really disruptive to the flow of traffic. Luckily they do not seem to enforce it and I set the cruise control at 65MPH.
We get between 9-10MPG generally.
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #33
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
I agree, and 65 seems to be the sweet spot for best fuel economy. While my tires are rated for higher speeds as they are not ST tires, I can usually squeeze around 10.5 mpg at 65. That number can vary if we are running into a strong headwind, for example.
The sweet spot on my F150 is ~62 mph, on my F350 58 mph. With both of them that is where they get the best mileage and feel the most stable when towing.

Aaron
Old 11-22-2014, 11:12 PM   #34

Washington
Over the last 18 months and 26,000 miles of towing with this setup, the worst I have gotten for fuel mileage was 7.6, the best 9.5, the overall hand calculated average has been 8.2

The truck weighs 18,900 pounds, the trailer when loaded is over 19,000 so right around 38,000 pounds going down the road, up and down mountains. When ever its safe to do so I just set the cruise control at 62-65mph and let it run. I am very happy with this setup and have NEVER felt unsafe or not in total control of the trailer in all circumstances.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #35

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman83 View Post
Okay, someone wanted to start a thread on fuel mileage so let's get it going. I have a 2010 Ford F 450 that gets me 12 miles per gallon unloaded and six to seven miles per gallon towing my Voltage 3905. That's my story, let's hear yours.
Towing my voltage 3950 (fully loaded about 20K) I get 9-10 mpg depending on how fast I'm going. (2014 F350 dually)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Mountie View Post
OK...I'm a noob at TT towing, will be my first time next spring when we pick up our rig but I have towed a boat for a few years and the total length was just shy of 22 feet. I took it up over 60mph a few time and it did not feel safe. How can some of you folks tow big rigs at 65-70mph and say it's safe? I know that WD and anti-sway make a big difference but.....maybe it's having been a cop for 35yrs (11 of those on highways) that make me more cautious after all that I have seen and had to pick up off the road....just saying folks....not judging here, just making a statement and voicing an opinion so please, don't lash out at me Semis travel at those speeds but they have the weight + axles to keep them going straight however, a fiver or TT is not the same.....I would think.
Mountie,

I use to think the same thing when I'd see guys hauling ass down the highway. However, having pulled a toy hauler for the last few years, I see how it's easier to maintain speeds going 80-85mph (puts the truck in the correct power band).

My 6.7 will easily pull my trailer at those speeds and being a 42' trailer triple axle, I'm fine with the ability to pull it smoothly.

Having said that, there are a few things that make me not want to go that fast…

1) safety, faster speeds, more distance needed to brake if needed.

2) gas mileage. Those speeds make me end up with 7-8 mpg.

3) I don't need a ticket…LOL.

Mark
orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #36

Washington
OK, I know I am going to get flamed big time for saying this but it needs to be said. Anyone towing an RV trailer at speeds of 80-85 mph especially with a pickup truck is looking to kill themselves or someone else it really is just that simple.

Yes you can tow it but can you STOP it or CONTROL it when your trying to stop and the trailer is PUSHING your pickup, I don't think so. I would wager that at least 95% of the RV trailers being towed are running "ST" tires, if there is an "ST" tire made that has a speed rating over 65mph I am not aware of it. It only stands to reason that if your tires are only rated at 65mph and your traveling at ANY speed over that your putting yourself and everyone else on the road at high risk of serious injury or death.

If you are involved in a wreck and it can be proven that you were towing at any speed above the speed rating of your tires good luck getting your insurance to cover you. I may sound like an a$$ but with over 50 years of driving under my belt I can assure you I have seen my share of wrecks on the road many caused by someone doing something without thinking about what could happen if they had to stop or change lanes quickly.

If your towing an RV trailer and in order to get the truck into the "power band" you need to run at speeds that endanger yourself and others, you need a differnt truck or one that is setup way differnet then the one your towing with. Just my opinion, flame suit on, have at it but at least THINK before you flame me.

Dave
Old 11-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #37

North Carolina
Dave,

No reason to flame you. Apparently you didn't either read my post or are unable to comprehend it. My truck is a 2014 F350 dually with a 6.7 and a tuner. I don't HAVE to drive at those speeds but when you are driving 80-85, the truck will pull my 20K trailer without downshifting going up an incline.

Since you were unable to comprehend what I said or failed to read it, I said the truck tows better at those speeds because it makes it so easy but I prefer not to because of increased stopping distances, fuel mileage and the fact that I don't want to worry about getting a ticket.

Secondly, the speed limit on most highways is 70 mph, someone doing 80 isn't like a crazy driver driving like a bat out of hell. People driving in the southwest routinely pull those trailers over the 90 mph mark. Not saying it's right or wrong, just saying it happens.

So please learn to read and understand that though I may not drive those speeds, many people do but just because someone is driving a whopping 80 mph doesn't mean "they are looking to kill themselves or someone else".

Mark
Old 11-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #38

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
Dave,

No reason to flame you. Apparently you didn't either read my post or are unable to comprehend it. My truck is a 2014 F350 dually with a 6.7 and a tuner. I don't HAVE to drive at those speeds but when you are driving 80-85, the truck will pull my 20K trailer without downshifting going up an incline.

Since you were unable to comprehend what I said or failed to read it, I said the truck tows better at those speeds because it makes it so easy but I prefer not to because of increased stopping distances, fuel mileage and the fact that I don't want to worry about getting a ticket.

Secondly, the speed limit on most highways is 70 mph, someone doing 80 isn't like a crazy driver driving like a bat out of hell. People driving in the southwest routinely pull those trailers over the 90 mph mark. Not saying it's right or wrong, just saying it happens.

So please learn to read and understand that though I may not drive those speeds, many people do but just because someone is driving a whopping 80 mph doesn't mean "they are looking to kill themselves or someone else".

Mark
Howdy Mark,

I made the mistake of quoting your post WITHOUT putting in a disclaimer that I was NOT directing my opinion toward YOU personally and for that I do apologize. That said, I did read and comprehend your post.

I used to tow with a Dodge one ton dually that had a lot of work done to it, it too would easily tow my RV trailer up the grade IF it were approached at speeds that again in MY OPINION were unsafe. I kept getting larger and larger trailers, towing an ever increasing amount of weight until it reached a point where it became obvious that I needed more truck.

With all that said, I stand behind everything I said in my first post as regards safe towing speeds with a pickup truck and tire speed ratings.

Dave
Old 11-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #39

North Carolina
I apologize, I did take it directed it to me because you made the quote about "putting it in the power band"

Like I said originally, I can see how people like to drive that fast, it does make climbing inclines easier but like I said, it's not worth it for me. I race and instruct teen drivers… I do care about safety which was one of the reasons I mentioned I don't drive that fast. The truck pulls smoothly and runs great but the idea of needing extra time and space to stop that monstrosity of a trailer scares me should a panic stop need to be executed.

All that and at my age, I don't want higher premiums…LOL.

We're on the same page, hope we all can avoid any dangerous situations and live to tow later.

Take care!

Mark
Old 11-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #40

Washington
Howdy Mark,

Happy trails to you, and hoping someday our trails may cross, this topic like so many things are very difficult to discuss on the web but are much better around a camp fire whilst passing the jug as it were.

It just scares me when I see a pickup or more and more lately an suv towing a trailer with the nose of the tow vehicle high in the air and the trailer swaying back and forth as they merrily go down the road oblivious to the danger they pose to themselves and others. I hate to see more laws and regulations, and I despise the "tax collectors" who enforce these revenue generating laws but I do wish that most folks used common sense rather then taking as gospel the sale-mans pitch "That yes this tow vehicle will safely pull that trailer up a 7% grade and be able to stop it before getting pushed thorough the intersection." Sadly we live in a world where everyone has to be there yesterday and less is more when it comes getting the proper tool for the job.

Take care and keep the camp fire burning.

Dave