Love bugs! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2017, 11:41 AM   #1

Florida
Love bugs!

We have this phenom here in the south called a LOVE BUG! They appear twice a year and are a real pain in the A..! Aside from scrubbing IMMEDIATELY after a trip through the gauntlet, does anyone have any clues on how to clean the front of your RV? I heard that putting fabric softener in the soapy water helps.

By the way, I read the other day that the pregnant ones (with eggs) are the ones that have the acids in their bodies and they are the ones that damage the paint and it's not likely that I could only hit the non pregnant ones.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...M4bymAGtibyoAw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lbugsshuttle.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	4429  

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #2

Maryland
I only use regular car wash and wax. Before I leave for any trip I always spray the front of the camper with an extra heavy coat of spray wax or detailer and it seems to help the bugs come off easier.

hilbilydavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:52 PM   #3

Florida
Florida Lovebugs

Spray pam on the front of the truck and cap of RV. It is canola oil. Buy it at a Dollar Store. Make sure you wash it off after you get out of Lovebug country!! If you do not it gets sticky in the blazing hot Florida sun. If that happens it is harder to get off!! How do I know this?? Lovebugs are not even supposed to be in Florida another evasive species brought from somewhere else. We have alot of them in Florida. I was born and raised in South Florida. This place used to be great! Now we have 20 million people in this State!! Most from New England and from foreign Country's. We Love them all though "Bless their hearts"!!
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:21 PM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
Spray pam on the front of the truck and cap of RV. It is canola oil. Buy it at a Dollar Store. Make sure you wash it off after you get out of Lovebug country!! If you do not it gets sticky in the blazing hot Florida sun. If that happens it is harder to get off!! How do I know this?? Lovebugs are not even supposed to be in Florida another evasive species brought from somewhere else. We have alot of them in Florida. I was born and raised in South Florida. This place used to be great! Now we have 20 million people in this State!! Most from New England and from foreign Country's. We Love them all though "Bless their hearts"!!
I did the PAM thing one year on one of my cars (the company car). Boy, was that ever a disaster!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:05 AM   #5

Alabama
use this and some cleaner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skip_Brackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #6

Florida
Love bugs!!

I sometimes use 80 grit sand paper and if that does not work I break out the belt sander!!
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:51 PM   #7

Alabama
I ran a car wash in Georgia for 21 years and that's how we got them off the cars paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skip_Brackett is offline   Reply With Quote