Hensley Arrow Bolts - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2016, 09:03 PM   #1

North Carolina
Hensley Arrow Bolts

I have a Hensley Arrow that I hope to use with my new 291resl that I just purchased! I get the arrow used so I am missing the u bolts and sheer bolts. Can I just go to the hardware store and get these? Thanks!

captainmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:48 PM   #2

British Columbia
Captain,

Did you get the manual when you got the Arrow? If you didn't PM me and I'll dig mine out and scan it for you.

The shear bolts were a self tapping bolt, I managed to shear a couple off while on the road. I couldn't find any self tapping bolts, so I just used some Grade 5 bolts and tapped the new holes.

I would get the U-bolts from a spring and axle shop, the can make up custom U-bolts if they have to. It's the U-bolts that are doing all the work in keeping the strut mounts in place and I'm not sure your going to find anything suitable in a hardware store. The U-bolt plates are pretty hefty, they are 1/2" plate steel, to handle the torque value for the bolts.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:51 AM   #3

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Captain,

Did you get the manual when you got the Arrow? If you didn't PM me and I'll dig mine out and scan it for you.

The shear bolts were a self tapping bolt, I managed to shear a couple off while on the road. I couldn't find any self tapping bolts, so I just used some Grade 5 bolts and tapped the new holes.

I would get the U-bolts from a spring and axle shop, the can make up custom U-bolts if they have to. It's the U-bolts that are doing all the work in keeping the strut mounts in place and I'm not sure your going to find anything suitable in a hardware store. The U-bolt plates are pretty hefty, they are 1/2" plate steel, to handle the torque value for the bolts.
I do have the manual, but thanks for offering to send it to me! I have a tractor supply where I live and I was going to see if I could find some u-bolts there. What size and grade do you think they are? Grade 8? I will probably make the plate steel for them. I have access to a lot of it.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #4

North Carolina
I also have two more questions about my HA. The bolt that I am pointing to in one of the pictures is snug, but not tight. Should it be this way? I seems that it might be the way it is supposed to be, but I want to make sure. Also, the silver caps on the bottom of the hitch are dented (other picture). Is this a problem? Everything moves very freely, so it does not seem that it is causing a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160509_081403.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	3250   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160509_081429.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	3251  
Old 05-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmorgan View Post
I do have the manual, but thanks for offering to send it to me! I have a tractor supply where I live and I was going to see if I could find some u-bolts there. What size and grade do you think they are? Grade 8? I will probably make the plate steel for them. I have access to a lot of it.
My Bolts are 3/8", I am going to say Grade 8. I have a vague memory of some kind of mark on them, but that was 10 years back now, but I can't see anything now.

Quote:
I also have two more questions about my HA. The bolt that I am pointing to in one of the pictures is snug, but not tight. Should it be this way? I seems that it might be the way it is supposed to be, but I want to make sure. Also, the silver caps on the bottom of the hitch are dented (other picture). Is this a problem? Everything moves very freely, so it does not seem that it is causing a problem.
The bolt on mine is tight. The silver caps are just protective to stop road debris from getting into the pivot points.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #6

North Carolina
Two more HA questions

Thank you for all of your help. I have two more questions about my HA.

1) The ball can move a little, but it is an Adapt-a-ball so that might have something to do with it. It has more of a twisting movement that side to side.

2) The hitch max has some places in it that look like they were intentionally cut (see attached images) just wanted to know if that was normal. It looks like it was made this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160606_085102.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	3365   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160606_085138.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	3366   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160606_085154.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	3367  
Old 06-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Thank you for all of your help. I have two more questions about my HA.

1) The ball can move a little, but it is an Adapt-a-ball so that might have something to do with it. It has more of a twisting movement that side to side.

2) The hitch max has some places in it that look like they were intentionally cut (see attached images) just wanted to know if that was normal. It looks like it was made this way.
The hitch does move on the ball, as long as the stut bars are adjusted so that they are firm your good to. If there is any play in the stut bars you'll feel it on acceleration/decceleration. You will want to check that they are firm as part of your pre-trip. The Adapt-a-ball shouldn't be a problem, but keep in mind that once you have the hitch on you are won't be seeing it for a year. Just make sure you use a good quality grease when you do your annual maintenance.

The pictures are showing the taper that the drawbar snugs into, that's the way it's made. As long as the over-center latches are adjusted so that it takes a fair effort to get them locked and there is no free play in them.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
The hitch does move on the ball, as long as the stut bars are adjusted so that they are firm your good to. If there is any play in the stut bars you'll feel it on acceleration/decceleration. You will want to check that they are firm as part of your pre-trip. The Adapt-a-ball shouldn't be a problem, but keep in mind that once you have the hitch on you are won't be seeing it for a year. Just make sure you use a good quality grease when you do your annual maintenance.

The pictures are showing the taper that the drawbar snugs into, that's the way it's made. As long as the over-center latches are adjusted so that it takes a fair effort to get them locked and there is no free play in them.

Thanks, I didn't think it was a problem but don't mind asking potentially dub questions when safety is involved.

Are the U-Bolts 3" wide? I do not have my camper yet to measure the width of the frame where they attach.