Help!! Trouble!! Truck bed too high. Can't level 5th - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2016, 09:16 PM   #1

Washington
Help!! Trouble!! Truck bed too high. Can't level 5th

Picked up the Voltage 3305 Tuesday. Have the Demco sliding hitch for shortbed. 5er has Lippert pin box. Front of 5er is too high. Have 7.5" between corner of truck bed rail and bottom of 5er. Changing pin box position wud put distance of 5er to truck rail under 6". So solution? Raise the trailer. I'm looking at adding blocks between the leaf springs & axles. Maybe 3 or 4 inches!! Am I missing anything?? Any thots?? Recommendations??

LostIntheNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:22 PM   #2

California
If by changing the hitch set-up to 6" I wouldn't worry about that. Most all of us that tow a Voltage are high in the front.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:30 PM   #3

Washington
We tried to move the pin box to highest holes. The dealership made me sign a release form acknowledging the possibility of damage to truck and trailer having less then 6" gap. We tried and cudnt get the pin box to slide upwards into the 5er bracket. Ended leaving it where it was. Putting me high up front.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:40 PM   #4

Colorado
My 3200 is also much higher in the front when hooked to my Chevy 3500. I'm thinking about installing the lippert correct track II system which will raise the trailer 2" over the axles, which should help raise the tail end.
Its4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:12 AM   #5

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostIntheNW View Post
We tried to move the pin box to highest holes. The dealership made me sign a release form acknowledging the possibility of damage to truck and trailer having less then 6" gap. We tried and cudnt get the pin box to slide upwards into the 5er bracket. Ended leaving it where it was. Putting me high up front.
I moved my pin box up, I think I had to get a hydraulic jack on some blocks under the hitch and started jacking on it, once it started to move it went fairly easy, I used a couple long punches to help line the holes up to get the bolts back in. It's in the very highest position now. I also added the "Correct Track" to raise the camper 2".

I traded from an F-250 to a 350 and it sits higher than the 250 did. I don't have any airbags or anything on the 350 and the camper still is nose high but not much.
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:37 AM   #6

Washington
Thx all for the responses. I've gone online to Lippert and the Correct Track seems to be the start. I've located a dealer near me and will contact them today. Thanks so much for your help!!! I'll do this upgrade first & evaluate the resulting changes to my tow attitude.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:23 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Thx all for the responses. I've gone online to Lippert and the Correct Track seems to be the start. I've located a dealer near me and will contact them today. Thanks so much for your help!!! I'll do this upgrade first & evaluate the resulting changes to my tow attitude.
Lost,

etrailer.com has good prices, fast free shipping and free (most times when you spend $99 or more.

They are my go to for the big $$ stuff.

Good luck.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:39 AM   #8

Washington
Well the "correct track" install was enuf to resolve my issues. The 5er isn't truly level but it's pretty darn close. Pulls and rides better.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:06 AM   #9

British Columbia
Good to hear you found a fix.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:18 PM   #10

Colorado
Quote:
Well the "correct track" install was enuf to resolve my issues. The 5er isn't truly level but it's pretty darn close. Pulls and rides better.
Thanks for the update. Glad it made a difference. Mine is in having the correct track installed right now.

Its4 is offline   Reply With Quote