Height from the ground to the coupler - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2021, 02:10 AM   #1

Washington
Height from the ground to the coupler

Hi everyone.

I haven't picked up my used trailer yet as they are fixing a few things first.
I need to get a hitch and ball for my truck but I don't know the distance from the coupler to the ground to figure out the drop on the hitch. The dealer is too busy or something to get back to me.

Does anyone else have something similar to our 1993 Dutchmen Classic M-18rb (18' long) that could give us a ballpark distance from the ground to the bottom of the coupler?

Thank you so much!

Matt

Sidedrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:14 PM   #2

Florida
On my bumper pull trailers I will always set the ball for the trailer and truck were even across on the flat ground. If They were hooked up and you were to draw pencil line across the bottom edge it would be straight. Or no more than inch or so lower on the ball front of trailer (nose down) Just my guide lines with different Rv Bumper pull trailers and Cargo trailer loads some may disagree but that’s worked best for me All our best central Florida

Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:09 AM   #3

Pennsylvania
Don’t chance it!! Measure the top of your receiver and then the trailer ball top (leveled up) height. This has to be exact. Perfectly level or maybe the truck a little high for loading. I just did this. 28” for the trailer and 20” for the truck. 9” drop (flipped) with raised ball that added another 2”. Works great! Check it twice. It’s expensive to complete the job. It has to be right! 100%
Lagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:49 PM   #4

Florida
If you have a weight distribution type hitch, you will need to angle the hitch in such a way as to give tension on the hitch….
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 03:12 PM   #5

Wisconsin
All good advice above. The point is, the heights of both truck and trailer vary. Many WDH's have adjustment for different heights for that reason.

Approximate height is good enough to tow it home at low speeds. However, mounting the WDH and adjusting height and load are part of picking up a new TT for the first time. Take tools and allow time to make adjustments.

Get approximate height from the seller. Just call and ask.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:41 AM   #6

Washington
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Sidedrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:42 PM   #7

Florida
One PS: if it is a good dealer, they will mount and adjust your hitch for you. It may not be exactly right but it will be close based on the experience of the installer.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote