Ford Fuel Pump Issues? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #1

Oklahoma
Ford Fuel Pump Issues?

Just got back from a trip to Branson, MO with my rig and had an interesting experience, The check engine light came on and the truck shut down in the middle of I-44... I got it into neutral and coasted to the side of the road - and decided to try and limp it to the exit about 1/4 mile away - Truck fired up and I was able to get back up to 60 mph and got to Branson with the check engine light glowing all the way. Disconnected the trailer and the light went out... Took it to the Ford Dealership and $254.00 later got told that the fuel pump electrics are wired to wires to small for it and under heavy loads (pulling trailers) will burn up. All they do is relocate the fuse to a different spot and send you on your way... after soaking you for the cash...

Called my dealership when I got home and was told "yup we are seeing a lot of this" I complained to Ford as I was almost rear ended when the truck shut down in the middle of I-44.

They said I should spread the word and if enough people complained, they might do something about it....

Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:00 PM   #2

Florida
What year is your Ford? My 2011 F350 with a 6.7 has never had an issue like that. I have only blown a fuse for the trailer tail lights one time, that's the only issue I've ever had.
Also I read the Ford truck Enthusiast forum all the time and never heard of anything like that before. If it happened they sure would be talkin (yelling) about it on that forum. Not saying it didn't happen to you but it certainly is not wide spread. Post this on Ford Truck Enthusiast forum, I would love to see some of their responses.

Glad you made it out of this safely!

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:09 PM   #3

Florida
Another Question, is yours gas or diesel? I only read the diesel parts of that forum so it might be a gasser problem that I haven't heard about.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:08 AM   #4

Tennessee
Haha, how do the fuel pump wires know you're towing. Sounds like dealer lies
Old 05-09-2018, 03:35 AM   #5

Oklahoma
Fuel pump issue

Wildwest - I don't know - unless the computer picks it up - The truck automatically goes into trailer mode when I plug in the pigtail....

Thom - Yes it is a gasser - the 2013 6.2 Ltr EFI with heavy duty transmission model

Here are some photos of the fuse they gave me back:

Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, fuel pump