Expedition and Kodiak - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #1

Michigan
Expedition and Kodiak

Hello all!!

I'm a newbie here! We will be first time TT owners and really have our hearts set on a 2017 Kodiak 330BHSL - 7630 lb Dry Weight and 979 lb Hitch Weight. This has a perfect layout for our family of 6!

We will be purchasing a 2017 Ford Expedition EL Limited 4x4, it will have the tow package and we are adding the mechanical self leveling suspension option. It has the specs of 9100 lb towing capacity and 920 hitch weight capacity.

My question is, is this set up even safely possible?! Can the high hitch weight be minimized by a distribution/anti sway hitch?

Thank you and look forward to some input!!

dhillm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:12 PM   #2

Tennessee
What's your cargo capacity, looks like your're going to be way over on that as well.
You can take the factory tongue weight and toss it out the window, once loaded it will be well over a thousand pounds.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:45 PM   #3

Colorado
No

The short answer is no way would I consider that set up. We currently have a 240BHSL and really enjoy it but of course the model your considering has the seperate bedroom for the kids and much more room! We actually considered moving over to a Toyota Tundra and getting the 330BHLS but again the Tundra would have come up right at MAX capacity or even a bit short so we stayed with what we have. The 330BHSL is a much larger camper with outdoor kitchen etc but if you don't need all of that then consider the 240BHSL. You could load one of these up as much as you want
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:57 AM   #4

Kentucky
I think you may be way over on cargo capacity with the Expedition and that camper. What is your reason for choosing the Expedition as a TV?
BarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:37 AM   #5

Michigan
We are choosing the Expedition because I has the highest towing capacity of the large SUVs. We need to carry 5 kids and 2 adults.
dhillm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:11 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
Dry weight is meaningless
Always use GROSS weight and the gross weight figure for the 330BHSL is 9680 lbs

The Expedition is rated to tow 9100 lbs
You will be over the rated capacity of the expedition and that doesn't even take into consideration any safety factors.

Just my opinion and also based on experience I would not tow anything over 8000 lbs gross with that Expedition.

Especially with 5 children on board

I also feel that 37 feet 3 inches may be a little bit to long for the Expedition You could have a case of the Tail Wagging the Dog

You may be much better with the 288BHSL
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillm76 View Post
We are choosing the Expedition because I has the highest towing capacity of the large SUVs. We need to carry 5 kids and 2 adults.
Unfortunately, manufactures love big "towing capacities" but give marginal payload
capacities. What your engine can safely tow has no bearing on your back axle snapping because you're way over on payload. It looks like your payload capacity is 1690lbs. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Your tongue weight is gonna be pushing 1200lbs loaded, That leaves 490 lbs for your wife, kids pets, and anything else that rides with you. You're going to be WAY over. That's a ton of stress on the vehicle(not to mention voided warranty) and certainly isn't the best idea for safety. I'm all for pushing the limits, but there's no way I would recommend that big of a camper for an SUV.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:58 PM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillm76 View Post
Hello all!!

I'm a newbie here! We will be first time TT owners and really have our hearts set on a 2017 Kodiak 330BHSL - 7630 lb Dry Weight and 979 lb Hitch Weight. This has a perfect layout for our family of 6!

We will be purchasing a 2017 Ford Expedition EL Limited 4x4, it will have the tow package and we are adding the mechanical self leveling suspension option. It has the specs of 9100 lb towing capacity and 920 hitch weight capacity.

My question is, is this set up even safely possible?! Can the high hitch weight be minimized by a distribution/anti sway hitch?

Thank you and look forward to some input!!

Should you tow a 37' trailer with any SUV
NO ! To short of a wheel base
You need a 3/4 ton truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:03 PM   #9

Alberta
Kodiak 288BHSL

Hey all,

Does anyone know where the water pump/filter is located on this unit? I was getting ready to winterize this puppy.
Codeman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #10

Arizona
Yikes, that's quite a brood.
I concur with what the others have said. That unit wants to be towed by a 3/4 ton long-wheelbase truck. Carry the family in the family car and tow with the truck. Sure it will cost more in fuel but everyone will probably be more comfortable and you'll have more flexibility in the choice of vehicles at your destination.
My $0.02.

Tags
kodiak, towing