Completely New - Want the right vehicle! - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2014, 02:14 AM   #21

Texas
Major thanks to everyone for helping to make a brand new world a little clearer for us. We actually did go and look around a bit more today, and I think for right now we're still interested mainly in trailers that seem to be too much for smaller SUVs, but we had started looking a lot more at larger ones and especially liked the idea of an older Escalade, so it's great to hear that's been working for you, Skarlin! We definitely figured between the V8 and the trailer, gas mileage would be brutal, but it is what it is.

I really can't thank everyone here enough, and ewarner's post gave me much more of an idea how all these terms are related. I feel like I have a much better idea of what to look for and what things to look out for! Now if we can get it all together and get out on the road!

JandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:58 AM   #22

Colorado
Yes, towing from Colorado to So California down I-15 we averaged 9.5MPG! But it is what it is and it's never a surprise, It's in the budget

rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #23
Site Team

North Carolina
Gas mileage like that?

I was griping when our truck went to 11.5mpg

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:40 PM   #24

Tennessee
An older suv can be had for far less than a pickup can be purchased for. My old tv was a mint condition 99 GMC Yukon(only paid 4k for it) that towed our 4850# camper easily. You may need to add a hitch, some wiring and a brake controller. It was also nice to have the covered cargo area for hauling extra camping gear. Also nice to keep the all the hitch acessories stored under cover without taking up basement space. Any V-8 suv should be up to the task.