Adding a hitch to back of Voltage toy hauler - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2015, 05:59 PM   #1

Florida
Adding a hitch to back of Voltage toy hauler

Has anyone add a hitch to back of Voltage toy hauler? If you did what type and brand?

francesp1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:50 PM   #2

Alabama
Following, I am interested in doing this as well!

WifiDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:10 AM   #3

New Jersey
Doing mine now. Will post pics in a few days. can almost use any class 3 hitch and make it work. I will get the part number of what I have and materials used.
Real Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:59 AM   #4

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by francesp1066 View Post
Has anyone add a hitch to back of Voltage toy hauler? If you did what type and brand?
What model voltage do you have and what do plan to to tow? What is your tow vehicle?

Aren't these things long and heavy enough already? Call me chicken $hit but I would never be able to tow doubles. I am almost at legal weight and length with out towing something else back there.

And, what do you plan to do if you have to back up?

I have a friend that has a huge diesel pusher. I have seen it with a F350 dually and a trailer behind the truck. The whole mess must be 80 foot long. And the truck is being towed with a 10,000 pound hitch. He has since stopped doing that but this has nothing to do with your question.

I've seen it being done before. Some rigs look worse and more dangerous than others.

I guess it's none of my business but it seems like a bad plan.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:57 AM   #5

Michigan
Here in Michigan max length is now 75 feet when tandem. When it was 65 feet I had a 34' 5er and towed a trailer behind that. Question for the OP since you are in Florida. We looked into taking our rig at the time to Florida, but tandem tow was not allowed at the time even though I have a "R" endorsed license - has that since changed?
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:13 AM   #6

I am not the OP however I am in fla. To my knowledge it is still not legal to tandem tow in Fla unless its a commercial rig. I have seen many tandem rigs on the interstates and never seen one pulled over so with that said I am sure the troopers are not giving much worry about the tandem rigs. I have thought many times about an Idaho Tote.. An interesting extension to your rv. The wheels turn allowing the tote to be backed up. It does not connect via a hitch but rather a direct bolt to the frame of the RV. By being a direct connect it is not considered a trailer but an extension of the RV box. Look it up a very interesting concept and can be ordered with brakes , ramps, lighting, airpumps, a variety of accessories for your golf cart,,MC,,ATV.. etc..

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hauling, hitch