A Newbie In Over My Head - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2021, 02:56 PM   #21

Florida
Great find Reputable Diesel mechanic and see what kind of fuel additive you should use for lubrication they all run something a little bit different

Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:50 PM   #22

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingGiggles View Post
Thank you again everyone! I just drove my new to me 2018 F-250 home and am confident I got the right truck for the job. The dealership owner even offered to come meet up and teach me how to properly hitch up the trailer to make sure we're all safe and sound!
Did you get the gas version or Diesel? Only reason I ask is you lose a lot of payload in the F250 with the diesel, so just be watchful of that if you decide to upgrade the trailer in the future.

You made the right decision going to the 3/4 ton, now get a good WDH and set it up right so towing is calm and uneventful and you will ENJOY camping! Most people who started out camping and didn't like it is due to the driving experience, it wears on them, and mainly due to not having the right tow vehicle.

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:08 PM   #23

Alberta
Great choice. As mentioned the hitch is the next important decision. Again, go big with no regrets, sway bars and load leveling. As you get more experience with your new combo, you may want to consider adding air bags in the future.

Enjoy.
Summit800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:16 PM   #24

Texas
You made an excellent choice. My first tow vehicle was an Expedition EL with a trailer very similar to yours and it wasn't enough. The day I got blown two lanes over driving to the beach was the day I traded it in. The poster who said buy the vehicle for your next trailer was spot on. I've had F250's since, as well as a fifth wheel, and I've absolutely loved it. We're on our second Fifth Wheel after trading in the kid friendly bunkhouse for a me and wife only friendly rear living. I hope you and your family enjoy camping as much as we have.

All the best with your new truck!
Migser31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:04 AM   #25

Minnesota
Looks like you made a good choice. I had an F250 many moons ago, and the thinking at that time is that 3/4 ton pickups have heavier duty just about everything for not much more money. I presently tow a 6,500 lb. (loaded) TT with a Cadillac Escalade with the 6.2 motor. Tow rating is 8,100 lb. Caddy does a nice job. I am going to add a Weigh Safe hitch in the spring as this newer Escalade has the air/magna ride suspension and a different set up is needed for proper WD. I found that cross winds were pushing the car and TT too much on a late fall trip and concluded the WD hitch was not set up properly. If I were to go back to a pickup, it would definitely be a Silverado HD 2500 or an F-250. Probably gas, but a diesel would be nice. Meanwhile, I like the comfort, style, size, and performance of the Escalade. Especially when I am not towing. Good luck touring the country. My goal is to do the same with our 8 year old.
Snowman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:11 PM   #26

Illinois
Good luck to you, have fun

Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote