2017 Ford F350 trailer brake problems - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2020, 05:58 PM   #1

Oregon
2017 Ford F350 trailer brake problems

I have my gain set on 10 and brake reaction on high. When I press pedal brake the trailer brakes act like they're on about a 2 when I squeeze the manual brake on dash the brakes work great, has anybody had this problem?

Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:32 PM   #2

Ohio
Check out the wire splices on the axles. I had the same experience with my 3605. Turns out one of the connections was not good. It was enough to give me continutity on my tester, but not allowed enough amps to pass through to the second axle. The connector was just barely touching the wire. After checking all the connectors and makeing sure they made good connection, brakes were great. As near as I can tell I ran for almost a year with one axle doing most of the braking.
-Jeff

Old 11-28-2020, 10:06 PM   #3

Oregon
Trailer Brakes

I have a 2018 F150 XLT 4x4 and an Aspen Trail 2750 BHSWE at 6250lb empty. I too was not happy with the braking. Going thru the manual and finding the reaction setting on low. Switched to medium and it really made a difference as it increases the “starting” voltage at initial application.However the controller has an internal deceleration sensor that applies your brakes according to the deceleration it senses.
I can override by applying the manual slide like you stated and get more braking. I have not tried it on the high setting as medium is doing well for my application!
As above I would check all your connections. Next I would adjust or have the brakes checked for adjustment.
My procedure for adjustment is jack up the wheel, adjust the brakes to lock up the wheel then back off 3 clicks. Check for brake drag by spinning the wheel, if you feel any back off another click ( a very very light scuffing sound is ok)! Do this on all wheels! This will get all four really close for good application! If you are uncomfortable doing this have a mechanic do it for you.
At one time self-adjusting brakes were standard but now as an option (if they even offer them). Funny that my TT does not have them but my 16’ enclosed cargo trailer does!
Hope this helps! I am a retired mechanic and suggest if you’ve never adjusted brakes ask for help, this is a safety issue, so be careful!
Edwal07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:53 PM   #4

Saskatchewan
The other problem is the fact that if your trailer wiring is like my Voltage, the joining cable from the truck to the trailer is a 12 gauge wire, but from the connection box to the brakes is 16 or lighter and there is a large power loss over 40 or 50 feet of wire running through the RV. The only choice is to try to keep the system is adjusted up and all wiring in prime condition...
23satd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #5

Illinois
Assuming you have the integrated brake controller, the way it works is based on how much brake pressure you apply as well as how fast you are going. When sitting still, very little if any braking will be applied to the trailer, only the manual override will apply full braking. It is not like pendulum type controllers that adjust current based on the g forces applied to the pendulum. On those controllers they will ramp up until full power is applied.

So with that said, how and when are you testing the braking? If following standard pre-trip procedures, you apply the trailer brakes via the dash control and not the pedal, trailer stops both. If you are slowly rolling and apply by the pedal, then the truck does the actual braking, which is normal since not enough speed is detected in order to apply the trailer brake though the IBC. OTH if you are at 10 and slowing from 40 MPH and it feel as though the trailer isn't doing anything, you may want to have the truck checked out. If there is trailer wiring issues, neither the IBC or dash controls would apply the brakes. They both use the same wires, the dash controls are the override. You can also verify with the dash controls the variable braking, it is not an on/off switch, but if you squeeze it just a little then a little power is applied, When fully engaged it is gain 10, irregardless of the dash settings. Your trailer should fully stop with normal braking at the 8 gain setting. After towing several different trailers with my trucks, 8 seems to be the best setting.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:09 PM   #6

Saskatchewan
Thank you for the lesson on how to set my brakes, I was just adding some info on the subject, however I run at setting 4.5, at 8 I would flatten all 6 tires back there....THX..
23satd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:53 AM   #7

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23satd5 View Post
Thank you for the lesson on how to set my brakes, I was just adding some info on the subject, however I run at setting 4.5, at 8 I would flatten all 6 tires back there....THX..

Have you done a panic stop yet? Might want to try it at 4.5 and then at a higher setting. Of course it varies by how much weight is in the trailer too. When I last towed my Coleman, it was locking the tires at slow speeds at 8 where it would just stop like normal when fully loaded. I have had to panic stop a couple times, nice and straight with no lockup, and stopped with enough room to breath a sigh of relief.

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote