1st Test Run With New Camper - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2017, 12:38 AM   #1

Kentucky
1st Test Run With New Camper

Wife and I did a test run today with the new camper. We loaded up the camper and truck just like we were going camping except for food. First stop was a flat parking lot and a review of the WDH set up. Made some minor adjustments here. With that complete we basically took what turned out to be a 3.5+ hour round trip for breakfast. I thought things went well. Truck and trailer seemed to work fine together and handled well down the interstate. Wife thinks the truck sounds like it is working to hard on hills so this worries her. Total load (me, the wife, gear, and trailer) is right around 7400 lbs. Well within our truck capability. Tow vehicle is a 2016 Toyota Tundra Limited. I feel all is ok with our set up.

With the wife's concerns we went and toured a couple Ford dealer parking lots ,after getting everything back home, looking a F250's. I can agree that the F250 will handle our load with ease but is the improvement worth the added cost of an F250? Is there anyone with experience with F250's that can offer some insight as to gas vs. diesel. I feel with the gas version you are going to still have the high RMP condition when going up hill as you do with the Tundra.

BarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:53 AM   #2

Texas
Nice test run!

Are you saying you got honey-permission THAT easy to get a new truck?

Nicely done. So, tell us.....were you disabling over-drive and messing with tow-haul buttons just to ramp those rpm's a bit?

Just kidding.

Trucks......hmmmm......you're likely to get all the predictable array of opinions when you ask that question.

It's really all about "headroom". You can have:
1. Not enough truck (zero headroom and dangerous)
2. Enough truck (This is the never ending truck debate area)
3. Best truck (This truck never even warrants tow thread)

But one way I kinda force myself to be honest is by having more than one truck.
I LOVE 1/2 ton trucks as the driver\passenger. And my 1/2 ton is usually the one that is newer and a bit more dolled up with creature comforts.

But if I'm hitching up, and I KNOW how different the tow experience is going to be between the newer fancier 1/2 ton and the 13 year old "can't-wear-it-out" heavy duty truck, I'd use the HD truck for the RV every time.

I have lots of things to tow with the F150. Utility trailers, Kayak trailer, motorcycle trailer.......
But that HOUSE on wheels demotes my F150 from Category 3 to Category 2. Just being honest

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:26 AM   #3

Texas
Just another option on trucks........

In my reply above, I pointed out my F150 is so much nicer to be inside of. But since the old Dodge (same would be true for other makes) is the better "tool" for the job at times, I recently looked into what is possible for improving\updating the interior of an older vehicle. I really didn't know what was practical.

Found me an upholstery fella that's been doing it all his life. Really a craftsman!

Showed him both of my trucks and explained what the emotions were. Lol

He completely understood and we struck a deal.
Stripped the truck to bare metal inside.
Soundproofed it 360degrees. (one of the things that newer trucks are just superior) Custom carpet, Headliner, and totally hand done seating and console.
He was a bit shocked I didn't want leather, (personal comfort preference), but it's going to be a brand new truck inside. All for around $2500.00

The price was so reasonable I dumped off a bunch of high end stereo equipment and mentioned to him "uh.....since the truck is stripped, would you mind?"

Point is, these new Heavy Trucks are out of my "old man budget"
Thus my reason to always have an old 7.3 Ford or Cummins Dodge around for the heavy lifting.

Problem is that even if it is very easy to keep them running and capable of the task, it's getting harder and harder to get a nice one, and impossible to get a "new one"

This is my attempt.

It could be an option and you keep that sweet 1/2 ton.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #4

Illinois
If you're getting a new truck, you might as well factor in the weight of your next RV, as no doubt, you'll get the bug for something bigger down the road long before your truck wears out. Just sayin'.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:29 AM   #5

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD View Post
Wife and I did a test run today with the new camper. We loaded up the camper and truck just like we were going camping except for food. First stop was a flat parking lot and a review of the WDH set up. Made some minor adjustments here. With that complete we basically took what turned out to be a 3.5+ hour round trip for breakfast. I thought things went well. Truck and trailer seemed to work fine together and handled well down the interstate. Wife thinks the truck sounds like it is working to hard on hills so this worries her. Total load (me, the wife, gear, and trailer) is right around 7400 lbs. Well within our truck capability. Tow vehicle is a 2016 Toyota Tundra Limited. I feel all is ok with our set up.

With the wife's concerns we went and toured a couple Ford dealer parking lots ,after getting everything back home, looking a F250's. I can agree that the F250 will handle our load with ease but is the improvement worth the added cost of an F250? Is there anyone with experience with F250's that can offer some insight as to gas vs. diesel. I feel with the gas version you are going to still have the high RMP condition when going up hill as you do with the Tundra.

I tow my 291RESL approx same weight with my Nissan Titan NO CONCERNS
Happy towing and camping [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan the man View Post
I tow my 291RESL approx same weight with my Nissan Titan NO CONCERNS
Happy towing and camping [emoji3]

Considering these campers push 1000lbs(or more) of tongue weight, i'd be willing to bet both of you are at or over cargo capacity. Actual trailer weight towed is seldom a problem...
Old 01-23-2017, 03:32 PM   #7

Texas
Cowboy Category 2 Truck debate.

I suspect there are more Cat2 rigs rolling down the road than any other category, of course. So it does prove "you'll be ok" is probably true.

Category 1 rigs cause us to take pictures and post about them and marvel at the audacity.

Category 3 rigs never get much attention. But the drivers of those rigs are usually veterans of many miles. They'll never even consider going down a category ever again.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:14 AM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
If you're getting a new truck, you might as well factor in the weight of your next RV, as no doubt, you'll get the bug for something bigger down the road long before your truck wears out. Just sayin'.
Rusty

X2... he speaks the truth... buy one truck for your next 2 RV's... a Cummins 3500 dually or powerstroke F350 dually... if not you will end up buying 2 trucks as well...BUY THE TRUCK THAT CAN HAUL ANY RV.. and your options are limitless when the trade in itch bites you.

ANDERSON ULTIMATE FIFTH WHEEL CONECTION
Nate42379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #9

Nevada
Barry, Most of us here have had a few RV's over the years, that's why we say to buy more Truck then you need right now, or you will be buying a bigger truck later, I think most have started with a 1/2 Ton, but the next RV will need a 3/4 Ton, I have had 5 RV's over the years, I started with a Truck Camper (Still Have One), then 24ft Trailer, then 5th Wheel, and now my 2nd Toy Hauler, so go with a 3/4 Ton, then decide on Gas Type.....If your going to get a 5th Wheel, someday, go with Diesel....
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #10

Tennessee
Or buy the truck you want, then live in a house with a driveway so steep, you can't upgrade. That's my plan.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:40 PM   #11

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Or buy the truck you want, then live in a house with a driveway so steep, you can't upgrade. That's my plan.
Can always count on you making me laugh at my desk.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:16 AM   #12

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Just another option on trucks........

In my reply above, I pointed out my F150 is so much nicer to be inside of. But since the old Dodge (same would be true for other makes) is the better "tool" for the job at times, I recently looked into what is possible for improving\updating the interior of an older vehicle. I really didn't know what was practical.

Found me an upholstery fella that's been doing it all his life. Really a craftsman!

Showed him both of my trucks and explained what the emotions were. Lol

He completely understood and we struck a deal.
Stripped the truck to bare metal inside.
Soundproofed it 360degrees. (one of the things that newer trucks are just superior) Custom carpet, Headliner, and totally hand done seating and console.
He was a bit shocked I didn't want leather, (personal comfort preference), but it's going to be a brand new truck inside. All for around $2500.00

The price was so reasonable I dumped off a bunch of high end stereo equipment and mentioned to him "uh.....since the truck is stripped, would you mind?"

Point is, these new Heavy Trucks are out of my "old man budget"
Thus my reason to always have an old 7.3 Ford or Cummins Dodge around for the heavy lifting.

Problem is that even if it is very easy to keep them running and capable of the task, it's getting harder and harder to get a nice one, and impossible to get a "new one"

This is my attempt.

It could be an option and you keep that sweet 1/2 ton.
I like the way you think.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:23 AM   #13

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Rusty
If I bought another truck I would rather go with a diesel version but it would be my daily driver and based on my needs I am not sure I could justify the additional 8-10,000 dollars it would cost. When my wife first brought up the idea of another truck I said ok, a diesel dually it is then. Turns out she is not a dually fan. Not liking the idea of a 800+ dollar a month payment. If I knew I could keep my payment close to what it is now I would by a new truck tomorrow.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:33 AM   #14

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Considering these campers push 1000lbs(or more) of tongue weight, i'd be willing to bet both of you are at or over cargo capacity. Actual trailer weight towed is seldom a problem...
I am not over but close. Our truck has little in it when we travel. Just the wife, me, 2 mountain bikes, and 1 loaded cooler. But still tongue weight is another concern/thing to consider. Even the 6.2 gas F250 will give me more cargo capacity than I currently have.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:40 AM   #15

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate42379 View Post
X2... he speaks the truth... buy one truck for your next 2 RV's... a Cummins 3500 dually or powerstroke F350 dually... if not you will end up buying 2 trucks as well...BUY THE TRUCK THAT CAN HAUL ANY RV.. and your options are limitless when the trade in itch bites you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
Barry, Most of us here have had a few RV's over the years, that's why we say to buy more Truck then you need right now, or you will be buying a bigger truck later, I think most have started with a 1/2 Ton, but the next RV will need a 3/4 Ton, I have had 5 RV's over the years, I started with a Truck Camper (Still Have One), then 24ft Trailer, then 5th Wheel, and now my 2nd Toy Hauler, so go with a 3/4 Ton, then decide on Gas Type.....If your going to get a 5th Wheel, someday, go with Diesel....
This makes sense to me. I do not see a 5th wheel in my future but then again I did not see getting the 1st camper I bought in my future either.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:53 PM   #16

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD View Post
I like the way you think.
Actually, now that you've been here awhile and posted enough to know you a bit better, it is ME that likes the way you think.

As far as the post I made about reviving an older diesel Beast..........

There are some really good deals out there on the PRE-EGR valve diesels. In our modern culture, they are considered "done".

A new, nicely equipped 1 ton diesel by ANY manufacturer is, what you described, a multi-$hundred dollar a month decision. And while I think they ARE worth every penny they cost, like you, I'd have to consider it my daily driver.

Thus my "revive" strategy. I LOVE my daily driver. I love trucks period! But I can buy a brand spanking new nicely dolled up 1/2 ton for about 30K.....maybe a teeny bit over. Crew cab and plenty of comfort and room.

But it IS a category #2 truck in the RV world. (No matter how many times I have tried to reclassify it. LOL )

So, consider grabbing a well taken care of older diesel. It'll STILL be old, but incredibly cheap!
And then know this:
The engine can be brought back to BRAND new for ~$6500-7500. And with these diesels, the rebuilt can actually be better than the OEM was because you get to upgrade things like head bolts.
Then the next big ticket item is transmission.
This might be why I preferred the Dodge (I'm a Ford man emotionally) because if you are willing to throw some serious cash at it, the tranny on those old Dodges can be built to indestructible standards. (Not cheap. As much as the engine rebuild)
Then finally, the interior.........I just proved what $2500 can do. (I should be picking it up in the next day or 2 and I will post pics. It is awesome!!!)

So, although I'm not saying do it all at once, for the sake of making a point lets do!
New engine, new tranny, new interior. %85 Brand New Diesel Truck "functionally" speaking.

About $20K including buying the truck!
Ok, you find a sweeeet truck for more. Then $25K

Still, I'm not doing it all at once. I won't be doing the motor until she goes. That MIGHT be 20,000 more "towing only" miles? But might be 200,000 more "towing miles".

I will fund it with the money I DIDN'T make truck payments with.

Best of all, I get to keeeep my sweeeet daily driver.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:14 PM   #17
Site Team

North Carolina
There are a lot of options with the older trucks. I just recently sold my 1996 F350 Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel for $8500. It was the 7.3 PSD with only 150,000 miles on it. Transmission was overdue for a rebuild. Someone got a helluva nice truck.

We have another Fugly Truck, that happens to be a 1995/96 Ford 4x4 F350 SRW PSD, plus cab. That beast cannot be killed. It has over 500k on the engine, we don't know for sure how much because the speedometer/odometer broke years ago. That one is a 5 speed. I put a new clutch in it ~6 years ago. IIRC we paid less than $5,000 for it 12 years ago. We use this one on the farm and probably will for the foreseeable future.

Take your time and find the best deal you can, it will be well worth it in the long run. New is not always better.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:06 AM   #18

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Actually, now that you've been here awhile and posted enough to know you a bit better, it is ME that likes the way you think.

As far as the post I made about reviving an older diesel Beast..........

There are some really good deals out there on the PRE-EGR valve diesels. In our modern culture, they are considered "done".

A new, nicely equipped 1 ton diesel by ANY manufacturer is, what you described, a multi-$hundred dollar a month decision. And while I think they ARE worth every penny they cost, like you, I'd have to consider it my daily driver.

Thus my "revive" strategy. I LOVE my daily driver. I love trucks period! But I can buy a brand spanking new nicely dolled up 1/2 ton for about 30K.....maybe a teeny bit over. Crew cab and plenty of comfort and room.

But it IS a category #2 truck in the RV world. (No matter how many times I have tried to reclassify it. LOL )

So, consider grabbing a well taken care of older diesel. It'll STILL be old, but incredibly cheap!
And then know this:
The engine can be brought back to BRAND new for ~$6500-7500. And with these diesels, the rebuilt can actually be better than the OEM was because you get to upgrade things like head bolts.
Then the next big ticket item is transmission.
This might be why I preferred the Dodge (I'm a Ford man emotionally) because if you are willing to throw some serious cash at it, the tranny on those old Dodges can be built to indestructible standards. (Not cheap. As much as the engine rebuild)
Then finally, the interior.........I just proved what $2500 can do. (I should be picking it up in the next day or 2 and I will post pics. It is awesome!!!)

So, although I'm not saying do it all at once, for the sake of making a point lets do!
New engine, new tranny, new interior. %85 Brand New Diesel Truck "functionally" speaking.

About $20K including buying the truck!
Ok, you find a sweeeet truck for more. Then $25K

Still, I'm not doing it all at once. I won't be doing the motor until she goes. That MIGHT be 20,000 more "towing only" miles? But might be 200,000 more "towing miles".

I will fund it with the money I DIDN'T make truck payments with.

Best of all, I get to keeeep my sweeeet daily driver.
I love the idea bringing an "older" truck back to like new condition and I am pretty sure I could do most if not all the work myself. Fixing things is what I do for a living. I am the guy at work that gets pulled out of his nice clean office job when machines are down hard or have not been performing well for an extended period of time and the maintenance group is struggling to resolve it. With that being said I do not have the time to get the truck to the condition I would be satisfied with in the time frame I would like for it to be done. Therefore I would have to purchase new or slightly used. But the prices of new or even used trucks is crazy. Found a 2015 F350 local for $48,000.00. Looks great but has 68,000 miles on it. Meeting with a local dealer Friday during my lunch break to see what they will give me for my Tundra and maybe take a test drive or two.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:16 AM   #19

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
There are a lot of options with the older trucks. I just recently sold my 1996 F350 Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel for $8500. It was the 7.3 PSD with only 150,000 miles on it. Transmission was overdue for a rebuild. Someone got a helluva nice truck.

We have another Fugly Truck, that happens to be a 1995/96 Ford 4x4 F350 SRW PSD, plus cab. That beast cannot be killed. It has over 500k on the engine, we don't know for sure how much because the speedometer/odometer broke years ago. That one is a 5 speed. I put a new clutch in it ~6 years ago. IIRC we paid less than $5,000 for it 12 years ago. We use this one on the farm and probably will for the foreseeable future.

Take your time and find the best deal you can, it will be well worth it in the long run. New is not always better.

Aaron
Good advice on new is not always better. I know if I decide to go used it will be a diesel. Never owning one makes me nervous because I do not know what to look for in a used diesel. What is acceptable or considered low mileage for example. Definitely need to educate myself on this before looking seriously at a used diesel truck. Part of me says the hell with it, bite the bullet now and get a new 350 dully. At least I will not have to ever worry about needing a bigger truck. Wife is really against a dully as I have mentioned. Primarily the maintenance cost and have to find a local shop that can deal with things like an alignment.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #20
Site Team

North Carolina
Depends on your comfort level. I consider anything under 200,000 on a diesel reasonable as long as it has been taken care of.

Now the caveat, that would be on the older diesels like the 7.3 and the older Cummins. I am not a fan of the older Duramax, they were notorious for eating injectors at 100,000 miles intervals. The 6.0 engine that replaced the 7.3 PSD was a disaster and I would not purchase one, my Ford dealer techs tell you not to buy one either. The 6.4 and the 6.7 are better. If you buy used you are going to want to see service records for it. I would not buy one without them, unless they give me a really, really good deal. One issue IMHO with the newer diesels is the complexity of them to meet the emission standards. I would do a very thorough cost analysis of the number of miles you expect to drive against the costs of owning a diesel. FWIW my current motor home has the big Ford V10 in it and I am happy with the power to move that 13,000#+ beast down the road. I also have the 6 speed automatic and it is great so far.

Someone else will have to weigh in on the Cummins, I have never owned one, but have a couple of friends that do and swear by them.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote