Towing a car - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Thor and Dutchmen Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2021, 06:22 AM   #1

Kentucky
Towing a car

Hello All,
I'm totally new to RV'ing and new here. I've just purchased a 28' class RV and will be hitting the open road in the near future as soon as I've finished up the maintenance and PM work I need to do. I plan to tow my car which is a 4 door Chrysler and I'm just now beginning to research and consider which dolly to purchase. I am hoping you will weigh in suggestions, comments, concerns, or any other thing I should consider as I go about this. I'd love to hear your ideas and I will use them to help guide my decision and path forward. Thank you in advance and thank you for all the wonderful information and ideas contains in this site. You all are some wonderful folk and I can't wait to get out there and experience this great country the way that many of you are doing right now. I plan to begin my journey within a month or two depending on soon I can get all the loose ends tied down. Peace and my best to you all. Who knows, maybe our paths will cross out there. Thank you, Jim

jmack108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:54 AM   #2

California
Jim, welcome. I know you want to tow your car but I think you should consider long and hard selling your car and picking up something you can flat tow like a Jeep or other small SUV where you can put the transfer case in neutral and have all 4 tires on the ground. I have friends that tow Jeep’s with tow bars and it takes a few minutes to connect to their RV’s and it is really easy. I think dolly’s might be tricky to set up.

I am sure some other members can weigh in on your specific question but after years and years of camping I don’t think I have ever seen someone pull into or leave a campsite towing with dolly’s. Maybe a U-Haul on a cross country trip but not regular campers.

Old 07-09-2021, 06:18 PM   #3

Kentucky
Thanks so much, This is the kind of information I was looking for. I'm as green as green can be. I'm not stuck on towing the car. I have it so I am looking to see if it is practical to tow it. It sounds like no it is not. That's what I'm looking for. I appreciate your input. Thanks so much. Peace and happy trails.
jmack108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:00 PM   #4

Florida
Flat tow is the way to go. We purchased a Subaru cross trek with a manual transmission.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:01 AM   #5

California
If your RV is a motorhome, I agree with the first few posts that a flat is better. Some towed vehicle transmissions can be damaged by towing and is the reason I went 5th wheel so I don't have to tow.

I can only park my 5th wheel one in them times correctly and I never want to get myself into a situation trying to backup a motorhome and a trailer without demolishing them. You may be good at it, but I'm not and I have owned about 5 different rRV's one the last 36 years and I'm still not good enough to park a motorhome and tow vehicle without disconnecting them first.
llokensmi is offline   Reply With Quote