Newbie mistake, please help! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Interior and Living
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2018, 06:42 PM   #1
Gen

Washington
Newbie mistake, please help!

We just got a new 2017 Aerolite 298RESL and I forgot to put the table extension back in when I closed the slide. When it stopped prematurely, I stopped to look and put it back out to fix the obstruction, but now the table is loose. Any ideas on how to get it tightened again? Thanks in advance.

Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:58 PM   #2

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
We just got a new 2017 Aerolite 298RESL and I forgot to put the table extension back in when I closed the slide. When it stopped prematurely, I stopped to look and put it back out to fix the obstruction, but now the table is loose. Any ideas on how to get it tightened again? Thanks in advance.

Probably going to need to see pictures.

Sorry about your boo boo. We all do one.

Bill

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:30 PM   #3

Florida
Quote:

IF it screws to the floor, you can try the old carpenter trick. Take out the screws, use wooden golf tees to fill the holes (rough them up first, coat them with elmers white glue). Pound them in to get a tight fit. replace the screws. Good as new.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:11 AM   #4

Tennessee
Frank has a good idea. Alternative, replace the table legs and use the top to create an actual table. Did that with our Denali.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2018, 12:42 AM   #5

Louisiana
Wood thread inserts or wood helicoils work well. Here is a video link to how they work and you can get them at Lowes.
T-Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:04 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
Don't feel bad - last trip out we didn't check the drawers at the rear of our trailer and when I opened the slide I heard a funny noise... Luckily I stopped and was able to shut the drawer before it got torn up or damaged the slide...

Lesson don't get in a hurry - take your time and listen for any out of the ordinary noise when opening or closing slides - I do a walk around inside and out but missed the drawer
Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:36 AM   #7

Oregon
Lessons Learned:

Check inside AND out before you move slideouts. Outside, check for clearances for full extension, and the sides and roof line. Inside, make sure drawers and cupboards are secure before departure, and have not opened during arrival. We secure all cupboards and drawers with shock cord (or elastic/plastic tie bands) to prevent them from opening during transit.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:35 AM   #8

Illinois
Don't feel alone my 1st 5er opened slide and heard a crunch. Didn't have a cupboard door shut tight and ripped it in 1/2. Was able to glue it back together and had to look close to see it. On the 2nd 5ver didn't have TV strapped in. When went to open the slide stopped, ran it back a bit and tried again stopped again,, hmmm,,, the slide was trying to change the size of the TV. Lucked out didn't hurt anything
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:46 AM   #9

Kentucky
That is brilliant. Thank you for the tip! (see what I did there)
jmack108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:05 AM   #10

Illinois
Been there, done that. Left leaf in table and closed slide. Crunch! Still waiting for parts. Lesson learned.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
298resl, aerolite, fix, table