Mattress Replaement - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Interior and Living
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2018, 05:59 PM   #1

Tennessee
Mattress Replaement

I have a '12 Dutchmen Infinty that I purchased recently. The mattress is horrible. Has anyone replaced their mattress and what were your results? The choices are endless and since the local mattress stores don't carry RV sized king I really have no way to compare except what I can read over the net. Sometimes that can be a crap shoot. Coil spring, gel, foam, foam+gel, pillow top, air and every manufacture has the best. I know there is a considerable difference between a $300 mattress and a $1000 matress.

Suggestions where to start looking?

Cedrick

Cedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:32 PM   #2

Tennessee
I'm not going to get into a mattress debate, my house mattress is a Casper and for my back, it's the best thing i've ever slept on.

That being said, my camper mattress is a close second and it's just a 4" foam topper from WalMart($100) on the original unbearable camper mattress. You may not have to spend a ton of money if a topper will work.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:50 PM   #3

Florida
Sleep number.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:03 PM   #4

Florida
I upgraded to a memory foam mattress (4") when I purchased my camper. To that, we went to ROSS and bought a 3" memory foam topper. It is one of the most comfortable mattresses now.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:46 AM   #5

Massachusetts
I am 6'4 when I searched for my new camper I looked for the option of full length queen ….(not camper queen)
ended up adding 6 inches to bed base and bought a regular queen at my local mattress store … so much better ….
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:15 PM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
I am 6'4 when I searched for my new camper I looked for the option of full length queen ….(not camper queen)
ended up adding 6 inches to bed base and bought a regular queen at my local mattress store … so much better ….
The reason I left my mattress short is so I could feel like i'm 6"4"
Old 06-04-2018, 04:22 PM   #7

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
The reason I left my mattress short is so I could feel like i'm 6"4"
I resemble that remark!
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:01 PM   #8

Florida
After several weeks of research...

I ended up getting one of these to replace the factory short queen:

Parklane Mattresses 60" x 74" The Explorer" Short Queen RV Mattress

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seven months later, I still have no regrets about that decision, although the bar wasn't set that high since the original was so useless that I could feel the plywood underneath. I decided on springs rather than memory foam because I heard that the foam deformed over time. True or not, I can still always count on a good night's comfortable sleep on this one.
jthendersonphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:20 PM   #9

Illinois
Well a few of my friends we wanted to try the various foam mattresses. So I bought a Zinus mattress queen size showed up installed a queen size and it has been good so far. A friend tried the purple mattress and it came but had too much of a chemical smell so they returned it and got a Casper and they liked it. They both aren’t a lot of money but with a foam mattress you need to place some type of moisture barrier or you will get mold. So far so good .
msandlin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #10

Idaho
Mattress replacement

WE bought a new 2018 Aerolite last year with a king mattress, complete crap. WE threw it away and replaced it with a Milliard
tri-fold queen, Best mattress ever. Bought it on amazon for under $150.00.
WE are seriously considering it for our stickbuilt bedroom when it is time to replace our queen there.
Take a look !
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #11

Florida
2014 rls 330

King mattress was crap from the factory (and couple thousand dollars worth of other repairs). Installed $300 12" Memory foam from Amazon. Sleeps better than the one at home. I did have to replace the 65 lb supports with 150 lb supports. Now the bed opens and stays open. Went with a regular king which was wider than the so called "king" from the factory. Gave it away.
GGreGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:02 AM   #12

Alaska
We replaced our original mattress that was horrible with a Perfect Cloud Queen Short mattress that was life changing. We now wake up rested and ready to go, instead of feeling like we've been sleeping on plywood. I ordered it online and it was delivered to where we store our trailer. It was unpacked and ready to go in 24 hours after we removed the plastic. No odor, just incredible comfort. Cost was approx. $450 last year.
Trilobite87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:26 PM   #13

Texas
2018 Kodiak 2711BS

We put a Sealy Serta Queen in almost immediately. My wife normally sleeps until about 8AM. First night, she slept until noon.
saturnengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:33 PM   #14

Maine
In my 180 classic I have two options for sleeping. The foldout couch in the front and the dinette. The overhead bunk was way too cramped for my taste so I ruled that one out, it’s better for storage as a cabinet. I tried extra blankets on the couch the first night but it didn’t work . I had an old queen size cheapo foam pad that I cut a piece off and it was better but not optimal. The first night in the camper I slept but not as good as I’d like to. The next day I found ad in craigslist, a lady who is selling extra large twin memory foam topper that her daughter never took with her to college as expected. The price was cheap and fit the dinette perfectly..

MaineDutchmen180 is offline   Reply With Quote