2014 Voltage cracking and peeling pleather - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Interior and Living
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2021, 07:45 PM   #1

Louisiana
2014 Voltage cracking and peeling pleather

We have a 2014 36 ft Dutchman Voltage travel trailer. About 4 years into ownership, the pleather couch started flaking and peeling. The mess is so unbearable, getting on clothes and bedsheets and floors, that we chunked the couch and put a dinette table with chairs and another small chair in its place. Now, the lower happy jack bed in the garage is made of this same material and has been flaking as well as the border for the top happy jack bed. I can’t find replacements for this online. Has anyone had this and came up with a solution?

Kampkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 02:08 AM   #2

Florida
Our 17 voltage just started doing this also on the
Chairs but with Florida heat while camper is sitting
I’m surprised they lasted this long.
All our best central FLA

Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:24 AM   #3

Illinois
Bonded leather ((like melted plastic/leather). You need full leather. Can't be repaired.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 11:33 PM   #4

Arizona
Happened to my Voltage also. Cheap materials. We bought new theater seats and plan to have the dinette recovered.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 12:23 AM   #5

California
Great, something else to look forward to.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:35 AM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
Great, something else to look forward to.
Oh yeah, the welting eats itself overnight. One day nice and then it goes to, I don't know where it goes.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:11 PM   #7

Louisiana
I thought the problem with the pleather peeling was limited to the 2012-2014 models, but apparently it's not. I started a thread back in 2015 at the first sign of the leather peeling here. It got much worse, spreading to the sofa, dinette benches, etc. I ended up ditching the sofa and benches, and putting in a new sofa and stand-alone dining chairs. At the time I sold my Voltage, the peeling had not yet spread to the garage bench seating, however I can imagine it must be by now.

Good luck on yours, whether you choose to replace or recover.
Old 08-21-2021, 10:30 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Hi , I have a 2015 3970. Threw away our Ashley L shape sectional after about two and half years. Replaced it with two Thomas Payne theatre recliners with a console. I have an Ashley two seat reclining love seat on the opposite wall that is real comfy, but the material is crap. Only way it lasted this long is my wife and I hardly ever sit in it. Looking to replace it with Thomas Payne
Grdrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:56 PM   #9

Wyoming
My thoughts & opinions… take them for what you will:

None of the cheap materials that are used on what I’ll call “budget furniture “are going to withstand the various conditions an average RV is subject to.

This is not necessarily the case with furniture in your home… or the fabrics in your car or truck. You home stays in one place. It obviously doesn’t move. The same atmospheric conditions of temperature, humidity, etc rarely change… and, as you live in it, those conditions are usually pretty ideal.

Your car or truck moves, but you’re generally using it at least once a day… using the heat or AC as conditions warrant, keeping the interior fabrics on your seats somewhat within their optimum use parameters. And let’s face it… those materials are usually either fine leathers, or industrial strength fabrics.

Contrast that with your RV’s conditions. As it travels the country, those atmospherics change on a regular basis. Some areas are muggy, some are dry… some hot, some cold… etc. The material absorbs & loses moisture differently in those conditions… they expand & contract… etc. And, let’s not forget the conditions when your rig just sits unused for weeks & sometimes months at a time… when the heat and/or AC units aren’t regulating the conditions in the interior. They bake in the heat… and freeze & contract in the cold.

Bottom line… anything made of “pleather” just ain’t gonna hold up… period. And neither are cheap, thin, inexpensive leathers. You want quality, you gotta buy it.

Contrary to all of the marketing hype, and popular belief… RVing ain’t cheap.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:59 PM   #10

Arkansas
Try Trekwood.com. they have alot of choices

Roy J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cracking furniture, voltage pleather