Yet another stabilizer thread - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #1

Colorado
Yet another stabilizer thread

The JT Strongarms and the whatever you call the stabilizers that Cooper pointed out have been discussed. There is another kind of stabilizer and that is those that go under the slideouts.

I have a few friends that camp and none of them have used them but they have seen them used. Has anyone here used that type of stabilizer?

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #2

Colorado
Since there has yet to be a reply I am going to presume that no one here has used these.

I have several of those ratchet bars you can use in a pickup bed to keep cargo from sliding. I have actually used them for other things like support for hanging kitchen wall cabinets or as a diverter to keep the Roomba in just one room.

I think I am going to play with them as slide out supports and see if it helps on our next outing later this month.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #3

Saskatchewan
Is this what you are referring to? Slide-Out Stabilizers 26" to 47"H, Set of 2 - Ultra-Fab 19-960003 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World
I have a pair of these for my 242RESL and I'm still undecided if I like them or not. We only use them for extended stays in a campground and we haven't had many of those this year (I've not been well). They are easy to put in place but I have trouble tightening them up against the underside of my slide. Need to study how they work to get them to operate well.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #4

Colorado
That is exactly the type of thing I was referring to. I still am going to play with those cargo bars. You can slide them to approximate length and then easily ratchet them tight.

In all honesty the little movement we get does not bother me at all but bothers the wife far more. The only time I really notice anything is when one of the dogs decides to trot from one end of the trailer to the other. Amazing how 35# gets everything moving.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #5

Saskatchewan
I've been toying with the idea of building my own support. Welding up a small field goal post and placing either a scissor or hydraulic jack under it. I need to spend more time with this one as I may be doing something wrong in setting it up. Just don't do what I did the first time we used them - I forgot to remove them before bringing in the slide. The stands falling over caused one minute of panic thinking that I'd wrecked something.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:39 AM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrazy View Post
Is this what you are referring to? Slide-Out Stabilizers 26" to 47"H, Set of 2 - Ultra-Fab 19-960003 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World
I have a pair of these for my 242RESL and I'm still undecided if I like them or not. We only use them for extended stays in a campground and we haven't had many of those this year (I've not been well). They are easy to put in place but I have trouble tightening them up against the underside of my slide. Need to study how they work to get them to operate well.
From looking at them, I can see how they'll help with sag, but not with sway. The only thing that decreases sway is triangulation. Those are simple posts. Anti sag, yes. Anti sway, no.

If you want 100% movement elimination, you need to get the rig up off the tires and suspension. Pretty much a moot point, but that's the only way it's going to be 100% eliminated. JT Strongarms will eliminate 90% of the movement, but as long as the rig is on air filled tires, and sitting on leaf springs, forget it. It's gonna be affected by motion. But at least the triangulating systems help significantly.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
The JT Strongarms and the whatever you call the stabilizers that Cooper pointed out have been discussed. There is another kind of stabilizer and that is those that go under the slideouts.

I have a few friends that camp and none of them have used them but they have seen them used. Has anyone here used that type of stabilizer?
You reallyonly need something like this if you a setting up long term like months VS a week of two.

When we are trying to make some miles we have been known to pull into a spot were the TT is not exactly level, run the slides out and back in, without even dropping the stabilizers, knock on metal with no problems.

If it sets your mind to ease then go with the ratchet bars that other have mentioned.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote