Wheel bearings & shocks - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #1

Indiana
Wheel bearings & shocks

Wednesday my 5er goes into the mechanical shop to get the wheel bearings repacked. I'm also, having 4 new heavy duty shocks installed. I'll have the brakes checked at the same time. I've got a little over 6000 miles on the trailer and just want to be proactive to avoid any unforeseen wear on the wheel bearings.

Next week it goes back to the RV repair shop to work on my schwintek bedroom slide. Hope they can fix it. My DW and I are heading south to Florida at the end of the month.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #2

Wyoming
Wheel bearings definitely need repacking and it's also good to have the brakes checked at the same time. A good dealer would do that automatically when working on the bearings though.

Do you have shocks now or are you adding them to improve the 'ride'?

Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #3

Oklahoma
A mechanic, aka 'technician' that didn't check brake linings or pads or drums, hubs and rotors, while cleaning and repacking wheel bearings is akin to cleaning only one lens in your glasses or only washing one hand.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #4

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Wheel bearings definitely need repacking and it's also good to have the brakes checked at the same time. A good dealer would do that automatically when working on the bearings though.

Do you have shocks now or are you adding them to improve the 'ride'?
Ya, its already got shocks on it now. I should have written 'replacing the shocks'. Although, the top rubber piece is missing on one of them. The top of the shock stud was so long that was hitting the shaft that rotates and moves the living room slide. I'm hoping to change all four to a heavier duty shock then what came on it originally...........if the outside diameter of the new shock isn't an issue.

I feel more comfortable taking my rig to the guys that work on my commercial trucks and equipment trailers. These guys are more into the nuts and bolts of a trailer then my RV repair shop.

Next week it goes into the RV repair shop to get that 'darn' bedroom slide functioning properly............I hope.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 11-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #5

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
A mechanic, aka 'technician' that didn't check brake linings or pads or drums, hubs and rotors, while cleaning and repacking wheel bearings is akin to cleaning only one lens in your glasses or only washing one hand.
I second that!

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL