Under Belly winter set up - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2021, 01:37 PM   #21

Florida
I guess I’m one of the ones that benefits from this type of thread. As a newbie, I had zero idea how to winterize and what to do to protect myself from the cold during our stays in Boone North Carolina in March.

I can appreciate what others have done to keep from freezing and I’ve learned from the mistakes I’ve made and I attempt to pass what I’ve learned.

We recently traded our Dutchmen for a solitude grand design made for winter. Heaters on all tanks, heated underbelly and storage compartments (which I learned from this forum) and I will place a small ceramic type heater in the storage compartment (which I actually learned from Tom).

I learned that air is better than antifreeze and I learned from experience that the spray port needed to be paid extra attention to. I learned that dumping a couple of gallons of antifreeze into the black tanks helps some and I learned that you should close the gray tank valves in sub freezing temperatures.

So, not being just a fair weather camper, I have come to appreciate the “mobile home” posts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A767C1FA-1801-4F85-A431-600AEA1FB202.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	7288  

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 02:25 PM   #22

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witt84z View Post
I would love to know what you did. Maybe start a thread about how to modify the underbelly for winter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
At the risk of being rude, I say this with all of the kindness that I have… but I just don’t know how to do it without being blunt…
Ok, I need to issue an apology here.

Mea culpa… Mea culpa… Mea maxima culpa. I’m sorry.

I mistook this thread as a continuation of the discussion in a different thread when I posted the reply above. For some reason, I thought I read ‘underpinning’ instead of “underbelly”… which are obviously 2 very different things, with very different circumstances.

So yes… Witt’s suggestion, which I completely misinterpreted, has merit. And I apologize for my response.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 03:01 PM   #23

Florida
I still love u!
Old 12-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #24

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I still love u!

Wait until Tom cleans his shoes off. He stepped in it!
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 03:03 AM   #25

Texas
Wow ATCGuy, just wow. I'm sad to read this, but since you lambasted me for using my new toy hauler as a "mobile home" I'm not surprised. I have a Beemer too, hope that's not gotten to you, because I've read many of your posts and gleaned a lot from your input on different threads. No one is trying to make a limousine out of a Volkswagen, but to be clear, a well made VW is a form of art to some. Some of us are testing the limits of our rvs, and that's our right, and possibly the thing that unites all rv owners is the need to be in control of one's environment whilst exploring this big beautiful world. I'm a lady by the way, and I'll be doing this rv thing on my own. Your post on garaging your bike was priceless, and probably how I'll lift my 1k pound washing machine into my garage. I have injuries that limit me too. Many people use their rvs in the winter, in colder climates. We do what we want with these amazing trailers. That's part of the magic. Don't be so judgemental sir. We all have our own battle wounds but we're all here to provide support, not be insulted by someone who disagrees with our thinking.
Ponderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 03:25 AM   #26

Texas
Quote:
My Dutchman 336BH All Season will not freeze up until it hits 25F with the propane heat set on 70, a heated water hose and running the water for a few minutes before bed. That's with no skirting or any other means of insulating or heating the underbelly.

With the addition of skirting and a halogen construction work light it's good to 15F.
I love this! Hail to the construction work lamps! I'm a newbie and this is my backup plan, exactly, with a skirt of foam board because I haven't ordered my EZ Snap kit yet. Glad I'm not the only one.
Ponderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 01:28 PM   #27

Florida
I used heat lamps, four of them, under the tanks. Wind was about 50-those guys did little to no good. Skirting makes sense!
Old 12-15-2021, 01:47 PM   #28

Texas
Definitely skirting when cold weather arrives. I'll be in an subtropical climate for the first half of the year, then return to Austin, Texas in May, pending a suitable aite is available. Hopefully we (Texas) won't experience a freeze like we did last February before I get my skirting system. My emergency plan, until I have a real skirting system in my possession, is skirting with foamboard and heat lamps underneath, possibly space heaters in the pass through storage area, as well as inside the rv. I'll have a full tank of gas, in both reservoirs, to power my generator if needed. The more I consider camping in cold temperatures, the more I want a DRV Full house.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:50 PM   #29

Florida
We settled on a solitude because the drv weighs so much…
Old 12-15-2021, 06:30 PM   #30

Wisconsin
"All Season" with "Heated and enclosed Underbelly"

Quote:
I would love to know what you did. Maybe start a thread about how to modify the underbelly for winter?
The project had two parts. Work in the under belly was done by the dealer I bought the TT from. The work above the floor, I did.

Here is the link I posted a couple of years ago.

https://www.dutchmenowners.org/forum...ions-7378.html

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter under belly