Tire question - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2020, 10:54 PM   #1

Arkansas
Tire question

I have a 35' toyhauler and will need to replace the tires soon.

I have all weather tires on the truck because I feel they will do better in wet weather. I am thinking to put all weather on the trailer for the same reason.

Anyone with their ideas.

Thanks,
Bill

labill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:47 PM   #2

Florida
Not sure if they manufacture a trailer rated tire that is "all weather". I know that lots of folks here use truck tires instead of trailer tires on their rigs.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:50 PM   #3

California
Trailer tires are not drive tires so don’t think all weather tires would do much since your trailer is just pulled by the tow vehicle. Might help cornering I guess but I can’t imagine you are taking corners fast enough while towing to break the tires loose.

Also, your fuel economy might suffer too with greater rolling resistance (guessing here)

I say just get a top quality tire, like Goodyear Endurance which are made in USA.

You are the first person I have ever heard that has an interest in all weather trailer tires for what that is worth.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:09 PM   #4

Arkansas
I was thinking about all weather tires in case of sliding in rain.

However, your suggestions make sense. I will go with a good standard tire.

Thanks for the responses,

Bill
Old 09-03-2020, 01:48 PM   #5

Maryland
Do not use truck tires on a trailer. They do not have the same weight capacity as a trailer tire and will overheat and fail, I've seen it to many times. Use a trailer tire. I put G rated tires on mine when I had to replace them, best decision ever. The toyhaulers weigh so much your brakes shouldn't lock up, I've never had mine lock and I've hit them hard more than once in the rain.
hilbilydavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:49 AM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilbilydavid View Post
Do not use truck tires on a trailer. They do not have the same weight capacity as a trailer tire and will overheat and fail, I've seen it to many times. Use a trailer tire. I put G rated tires on mine when I had to replace them, best decision ever. The toyhaulers weigh so much your brakes shouldn't lock up, I've never had mine lock and I've hit them hard more than once in the rain.

I think you are not entirely correct. I believe there is a long time member who swears by truck tires and will probably chime in. If you have a three axle TH then the truck tires can have the load capacity you need. But for the two axle trailers where the weight on each tire is much greater I couldn’t find any truck my tires that met my needs.

The trick for me was to find a trailer tire with a decent speed rating and American made. The Goodyear Endurance was the clear winner for me. Goodyear makes a Marathon that is not American made so stay away from that one. There are plenty of American brands that make their tires in China so stay away from those.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:34 AM   #7

Minnesota
I too have heard that truck tires can do very well on a TT. However, I figure there is a reason why they make unique travel trailer tires. I cast my vote for Goodyear Endurance as well. Cheap insurance against many calamities such as blow outs, lost time, heartaches, cost, and just overall hassles.

I also concur on the all season aspect in that I can't see the benefit for a towed vehicle. I have a more aggressive form of all season tires in the form of Goodyear Wrangler Fortitudes on my TV, however. They work great.
Snowman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #8

Florida
I cast my vote for the Goodyear Endurance tires also. After experiencing two blow outs on the china bombs. When coming from Georgia to Tampa, I ran over something that left a large 1/8 inch hole. it was patchable and we ran on the flat for a bit of time. We patched the hole and inflated the tire to pressure (70) and it has been fine. any other tire would have not survived - in my opinion -.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #9

Arkansas
After all the feedback I will stay with TT tires but not Goodyear.

Thanks to everyone,
Bill
Old 09-14-2020, 11:05 AM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by labill View Post
After all the feedback I will stay with TT tires but not Goodyear.

Thanks to everyone,
Bill
Must be a Trump fan!
Old 09-14-2020, 11:40 AM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Must be a Trump fan!
Really,we need a politics only tread on this site ,so i dont have to read about politics
lando51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #12

Arkansas
I hope everyone knows I did not mention politics, that conclusion was not made on facts or anything I said. In fact it has nothing to do with the President.

I spent 54 years in Law Enforcement and 13 years in the active and reserve military. I have lost a few buddies so I believe that gives me the right to have an opinion. I support Blue Lives Matter.

Sorry if someone thought I was bringing politics into this but I think we get plently of that on TV. I was responding to that political comment and all I said was I will not buy Goodyear. I never said anything about politics, never brought up my profession or my buddies, but the lose of my buddies had nothing to do with politics.

If I sound angry I am, don't put words in my mouth. May be if some people would allow others to have opinions which maybe different then theirs and have nothing to do with the President we may be a lot better off in our country.

Bill
Old 09-14-2020, 12:46 PM   #13

Florida
For your information, I also support BLUE LIVES MATTER, for my own reasons and I am also a veteran (Vietnam).

So why would you not purchase a goodyear tire and why would that infer anything about law enforcement?

My apologies if I ticked you off but I thought it slightly weird that you picked Goodyear as the only tire you would not purchase.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:05 PM   #14

Arkansas
Try the fact that Goodyear refused to allow anything to do with Blue Lives Matter in their company but would allow support for Black Lives Matter, the reporting said that was in a memo to employees.

All you had to do was ask me why rather then the Trump comment which was not appriciated by at lest one member and yes I support him but again nothing to do with this.

I enjoy this site for what it is designed for and I to look foward to discussing things with others and getting away from politics. I apoligize to all for what has happened.

franktaf, thank you for your apoligy and thank you for your service.

Bill
Old 09-14-2020, 02:23 PM   #15

Minnesota
Thank you for your service. I know many law enforcement officers and have a great deal of respect. In my view the mission of protect and serve is the top priority and as a citizen I am grateful.
Snowman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:39 PM   #16

Florida
The only thing that i was asking for was a section dedicated to politics so i know i dont gonna go there by choice,then the people that want to discuss politics go there,their choice,i respect everyone choices,then i dont have to open a thread about tires and find a political discusion in there,but if that is not possible then i am gonna make another choice
Old 09-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #17

Arkansas
lando51,
I was just trying to set the record that's why I responded. I did not start politics, it was just about tires and wanted that to be clear.

I totally agree with you. Even our sports have been taken over so I to look forward to discussing RVs, campgrounds and anything else connected.

Again, my apologizes to all.

labill
Old 09-14-2020, 03:28 PM   #18

Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
lando51,
I was just trying to set the record that's why I responded. I did not start politics, it was just about tires and wanted that to be clear.

I totally agree with you. Even our sports have been taken over so I to look forward to discussing RVs, campgrounds and anything else connected.

Again, my apologizes to all.

labill
Ok,everything is good,no problem,the vast majority of people that i encounter are good people but some topics are, well you know,
Old 09-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #19

California
Quote:
Try the fact that Goodyear refused to allow anything to do with Blue Lives Matter in their company but would allow support for Black Lives Matter, the reporting said that was in a memo to employees.

All you had to do was ask me why rather then the Trump comment which was not appriciated by at lest one member and yes I support him but again nothing to do with this.

I enjoy this site for what it is designed for and I to look foward to discussing things with others and getting away from politics. I apoligize to all for what has happened.

franktaf, thank you for your apoligy and thank you for your service.

Bill

@labill, I am fairly certain that the Goodyear drama stemmed from a memo sent out by a lone location that was not authorized nor supported by their corporate folks and after the fact I believe Goodyear attempted to clarify this.

I could be wrong and am certainly not trying to tell you that you are wrong for your opinion on that event but I didn’t feel Goodyear as a company was venturing into politics or suppression. I view them as an American company that employs Americans and they even manufacture a trailer tire here in the U.S. I am not aware of any other ST tire manufactured here.

My reasons for buying their Endurance tires are two fold. First, based on my research it seemed to be the clear winner in terms of quality and specs having a greater load carrying capacity AND speed rating than any of the others I researched; and secondly they are made in America which supports a U.S. company and workers. All the others seemed to be made in China by the way and inferior quality. All these other ST tires, even with American Sounding names like Westlake, etc. are Chinese owned and manufactured or possibly American companies that manufacture in China. And nothing against the Chinese but given the choice I would rather support our labor and companies than theirs and more importantly when I am towing a 16,000 pound trailer with an 8,500 pound truck there is nothing more important than safety for my family and me. One blowout is too many and the three or four we have had over ten years of trailer towing is much worse.

I will never put a Chinese tire on a trailer again because in my opinion they are garbage. If I buy a Chinese tool at Harbor Freight and it breaks no big deal but I don’t want another random blowout towing 70 mph on the freeway risking an accident or damage to my trailer.

Again, if you feel strongly about Goodyear’s handling, or lack there of in that situation then by all means don’t support them but I hope you can find a safe tire for your needs.

Please share with the group what you purchase once you determine the best answer.

Good luck.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:30 PM   #20

Arkansas
dsol,
Thanks for that update.

I had received that info from a news channel and from a friend who sells tires. In fact, he sent all his Goodyear tires back. So I am finished with this topic, I hope..

On the tires, I was told by this same businessman that all trailer tires are made overseas, many from China. He even said Cooper TT tires are from China. I will start checking that out.

Thank again,