Tire Pressure Monitoring System - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #1

Colorado
Tire Pressure Monitoring System

I am going to get a TPMS system for the 5er if for no other reason than the same peace of mind I get by having it on the truck. A good friend is recommending the TST TPMS system. I know there are a number of different systems out there and I am wondering who uses TPMS and what brands and why you made that particular brand.

Thanks in advance!

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #2

British Columbia
I just bought the Hawkshead system. We've been out 3 times and temps and pressures read accurately, so far I'm happy with the purchase. I think this is the same as the Tyredawg TPMS.

Cheers
Daryl B.

grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #3

California
I have the TST TPMS system. It works good but does loose signal with the trailer from time to time.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:39 AM   #4

British Columbia
Just a note,
The Hawkshead that I bought came with an amplifier that mounts on the back of the Tow Vehicle or front of the trailer. My trailer is 24' ball to bumper and I didn't need to use/need it.
grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:49 AM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by grump010 View Post
Just a note,
The Hawkshead that I bought came with an amplifier that mounts on the back of the Tow Vehicle or front of the trailer. My trailer is 24' ball to bumper and I didn't need to use/need it.
I wonder if it's compatable with the TST system?
Old 07-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #6

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytoogood View Post
I have the TST TPMS system. It works good but does loose signal with the trailer from time to time.
That is interesting. My buddy has the largest Hitchhiker they make and he did not mention this. I'll have to ask him about this. Your Voltage and my Infinity are about the same length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waytoogood View Post
I wonder if it's compatable with the TST system?
TST does make a repeater to boost the signal over a longer distance.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #7

Washington
I have the TST system, along with the extended receiver, and a dozen of the new flow thru sensors mounted on the valves. I only have about a thousand miles with it so far, but I am very pleased. I tried it without the extra receiver mounted, and no issues with my setup. I have a CCLB truck with a 42' Voltage 3950, the only time I lost signal was thru a rain storm for about 10 minutes, then all came back. The info is accurate, and gives me peace of mind. Will no longer tow without it, I even move a couple of sensors from the Voltage to my 22' deck over when towing that. Still no need for the extra cost receiver.
I looked at alot of systems before buying the one I did, and this one is so easy to program. Each sensor, all 12, labeled and the parameters set took very little time. It auto senses them when held near, the first time I had the whole batch to close while at my workbench, had to do it over for a couple. Other than that learning curve, have been very happy so far.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #8

Quebec
Good to know. I will be buying a TPMS soon and your comments indicate I won't need the extra receiver. Thanks.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #9

Quebec
Has anyone out there from Canada ordered the TST system from the Truck Systems Technologies website? The 507RV model with 4 sensors is advertised there for $259 and the do allow shipment to Canada. I was just wondering what import duties, brokerage fees, taxes, etc were added to the price when it arrived at you door. Any input would be appreciated.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
Old 08-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #10

Washington
Can't help with the Canada issue, but I as well ordered it straight from them, price was about the same as anywhere else at the time. I spent about $850 for the whole system, including the extra cost receiver, 12 sensors, to my door. Not the total answer you were looking for, but they were good to deal with in my case.

Mike B.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #11

Quebec
Thanks for your input .... and I have also heard they are very good to deal with. Now we'll see if any of my fellow Canucks have any feedback re import costs. I will be acquiring one of these systems in any case, but it may be better to just wait until I'm in the US and buy one somewhere down there.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
Old 08-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmiles View Post
Has anyone out there from Canada ordered the TST system from the Truck Systems Technologies website? The 507RV model with 4 sensors is advertised there for $259 and the do allow shipment to Canada. I was just wondering what import duties, brokerage fees, taxes, etc were added to the price when it arrived at you door. Any input would be appreciated.
Kevin, if you are going to import anything from the US, stay away from UPS for shipping.

The brokerage fees they charge are userous. As an example, I ordered some prefilters for my S&B intake, they have a warehouse in Vancouver for shipping to Canadians. They had one filter in stock in Vancouver, but said they would send the other one from the other one from the California warehouse with no additional shipping charges.

I didn't think that it would come UPS, but when it did surprise, surprise, that $25.00 filter just cost me an additional $18.00 for brokerage fees alone. Add to that the 12% HST and I almost paid for a second filter.

If you can have something shipped by USPS, you will pay the HST + a small handling fee for Canada Post. The last time I used the postal sevrives that fee was $5.00, but it's probably more now.

One other consideration is where the product is made, if it's made in the US or Mexico it's duty free. If it's made off shore you may have to pay duty as well.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #13

Quebec
Excellent feedback. Thanks for your help.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
Old 05-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #14

Virginia
Older thread but it's on the same subject matter. Those who have been running with a tpms what kind of tire temps do you see and what grade tire (E,G) along with approximate axle weights. I am tiring to figure out what to set mine on for a HOT alarm. I've only used mine on a short 2 hr trip and the temp was about 10* above ambient. Do any of you see a constant with degrees over ambient temps.
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #15

Michigan
I have the Pressure Pro and have been happy - I have the antenna mounted under the bed of my truck near the spare and have had no issues losing signal.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #16

British Columbia
I have a TPMS system with my fifth wheel. Mine is the Tire Traker (only 1 k) model (from Techno RV). When I researched this, I noticed that there are several manufacturers who seem to have identical looking units, so I think that they are probably made in one (Chinese) plant with different brand names. Besides Tire Traker,check out Tire Tech, Inno Tech, Tire Minder (available at CW). Incidentally CW used to handle a completely different brand and style which was a disaster. I personally know 2 people who took it back and got full refunds without any hassle.
As for my system, it is OK - not great, but it does provide some reassurance. Before our trip to Victoria, a couple of weeks ago, I set all tires to required pressure with a digital tire gauge. After running for a while, the fifth wheel tires all showed different pressures according to TPMS. But they were probably within 5 PSI of each other.
As for importing into Canada, I purchased mine while we were visiting US. But they short shipped 2 monitors, so they shipped them directly to my house. Even though there was no cost, it still cost me for duty, brokerage etc. I should have got them to state, warranty replacement, or something similar. That way it (usually) passes through duty & tax free.
Oh, one last thing. It seems that you need to drive for a few minutes before the monitor will pick up the signals. So you can't just set it up in the driveway. (At least that's my experience).
But I do recommend some sort of TPMS, whatever system you get.