Repack bearings? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #1

Florida
Repack bearings?

Hi to all, We just got a used 2010 Kodiak 24RBSL. It has 2 newer tires on it one is dated 2014, the other 2015. The spare and the other 2 are dated 2010 all the same brand. I assume they are original from when the camper was new. The axles have the EZ grease axles. We are going to replace the 2 older tires. My question is does anyone think I should have all the bearings removed and repacked and all breaks adjusted? Or just use the EZ grease axle thing and pump it in myself? I have no idea if the last owner did any maint. on the axles. Thank you for any help and insights.

masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #2

British Columbia
Welcome to the forum.

If it were me, I would replace all 4 tires.

Yes, you should re&re the brearings, they probably need the end play to be adjusted anyway. The EZ lube axles are fine to use to add grease during a long trip, but are no substitue for a regular inspection and pack.

Because the maintenance record is unknow I would want to know where I am starting from.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #3

Arizona
Ditto to the above and I would give the brakes a check since it appears most of our trailers have brakes that don't adjust on their own.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:27 PM   #4

Nevada
Since you don't know anything about the other owner, and its already 6 years old, I would go thru everything, and like above, replace all the tires, Tires on Trailers don't last more then 5 years anyway....unless he jacked the trailer up off the ground, then the tires last maybe another year.....You will feel alot better...
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #5

Tennessee
I prefer to wait until the wheel locks up on the way to the campground, that way I have something to do besides drink all weekend.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:18 PM   #6

Illinois
You crack me up dawniewest!
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
You crack me up dawniewest!
My gin and tonic says that too many correct answers may lead to boredom.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #8

California
I did have to redo a wheel bearing at a park in Utah. It was on my very first RV a tent trailer. This was back in the 80's. Now a days they sure wouldn't allow you to work on your RV in a park. Besides I'm a few years older and not something I would enjoy doing.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:52 PM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
I prefer to wait until the wheel locks up on the way to the campground, that way I have something to do besides drink all weekend.
Works for me! Unless the freaking thing locks up on the freeway during rush hour on the way to the campground and makes me late for Happy Hour.

Seriously... replace all tires, repack all bearings and adjust/replace brakes. Then you KNOW everything is fine, no guess work on what is going to fail next.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #10

Florida
Thanks everyone for your input. I can only afford the 2 tires and a repack/break adjustment at this time but when I can I will be getting the other 2 tires. I love the snarky comments from dawniewest who has a brand new trailer and a drinking problem. Please keep them coming. I bet his trailer does not need any maintenance or new tires?? Hey dawniewest got get yourself another cocktail enjoy!!
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:55 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I can only afford the 2 tires and a repack/break adjustment at this time but when I can I will be getting the other 2 tires. I love the snarky comments from dawniewest who has a brand new trailer and a drinking problem. Please keep them coming. I bet his trailer does not need any maintenance or new tires?? Hey dawniewest got get yourself another cocktail enjoy!!
Even the new ones need a fair bit of work and the work goes better with beer.

Aaron
Old 04-12-2016, 04:05 PM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Even the new ones need a fair bit of work and the work goes better with beer.

Aaron
Beer goes better with no work.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:13 PM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Beer goes better with no work.
That is what fishing is for! I go fishing with some of the guys on my crew, I bring a cooler of beer and a lawn chair...

Aaron
Old 04-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #14

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
Love the word snarky, if I ever get a tattoo...

Even though it's just under 2 years old, i've already had to do some roof caulking. We camp 90% of the time within 75 miles of our home, so my tires will rot before they wear out. And i'm already replacing the air conditioner, but that's a story for another post. Once i'm ready to admit my stupidity.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:04 AM   #15

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
This great, my thoughts

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:33 AM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
That is what fishing is for! I go fishing with some of the guys on my crew, I bring a cooler of beer and a lawn chair...

Aaron
You don't have to bring fishing gear too, do you? I mean packing a lawn chair!

Old 04-13-2016, 02:28 AM   #17

Colorado
Traditionally, if you don't see where grease has been leaking out of the back of the hub, then the grease is still in there and in good shape.

If you see drips of grease...then its time to repack the bearings and look at new seals.

Been doing it this way for forty years and haven't missed one yet!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:45 AM   #18

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Traditionally, if you don't see where grease has been leaking out of the back of the hub, then the grease is still in there and in good shape.

If you see drips of grease...then its time to repack the bearings and look at new seals.

Been doing it this way for forty years and haven't missed one yet!

Pirate
Pirate,

I agree, when you know where you're starting from. But as an old HD rider from the needle bearing days, I figure you can't over do the brearing maintenance.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:41 AM   #19

Colorado
Jim,

Being an old busted up biker...I agree...if you don't know where you are...repack the bearings!

But before gathering tools and grease to get started...make sure you have the tool and probably new dust caps for the outside end!

Never failed a wheel bearing on any of my six Harleys. Now, big bore stroker motors? Six speed transmissions, let's not go there...its painful!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:54 AM   #20

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Jim,

Being an old busted up biker...I agree...if you don't know where you are...repack the bearings!

But before gathering tools and grease to get started...make sure you have the tool and probably new dust caps for the outside end!

Never failed a wheel bearing on any of my six Harleys. Now, big bore stroker motors? Six speed transmissions, let's not go there...its painful!!

Pirate
Did you ever see the needle bearings that some rocket scientest at AMF thought would be a good idea. My '81 FLT chewed them up and spit them out.

My '93 Glide with roller bearings was great, except for the crappy seals. We come home up Hwy 101 in rain all the way from CA to the top of OR, from one of our southwest trips. When I pulled the axle must have been half a cup of water in the front hub. It was much after 93 that they decided that a double lip might help.

That's the part of the EZ lube hub I lke, I can push new grease in and see if anything nasty gets pushed out. But I'm still a tear it down and look every year guy.