Possible damaged Drum? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2021, 07:04 PM   #1

Possible damaged Drum?

In the process of replacing the brake assemblies and bearings on my fifth wheel I discovered an outer bearing was damaged and coming apart. The spindle looked okay with maybe a slight heat discoloration. The outer race seemed to have a slight edge on it and not completely smooth. Decided to put the drum back on to see how it felt and turned. With the washer on and castle nut fully tightened the drum was loose with too much play. I had also noticed this beforehand prior to removing the drum. Wondered if I should try using one of the other drums to see if there is a difference or just get another drum.

jbfishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:35 PM   #2

Florida
You can change the internal races (outer race) for the bearings if you think they are worrn. Much cheaper than a whole new wheel/drum. Make sure you replace the seals and hand pack the bearings.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the information on replacing the races. Seems like I should replace both. I am assuming that this is most likely the reason there is too much play with the nut fully tightened after I checked that it threads fully in against the washer.
jbfishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:33 PM   #4

Arizona
Bearings always come with new races. When I'm doing new bearings I'll tighten the castle nut to seat the bearings then back it off. I then hand tighten the castle nut and back off to the first hole I can put the cotter pin through. I like a very slight amount of play. Never have had a bearing problem.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:17 PM   #5

Florida
In my experience, you can get wheel bearings with and without the races. Check to make sure when you order the bearings that the race is included. Also, be sure to replace the seal-VERY IMPORTANT.

While you have the wheel off, replace the inner bearing also with the race and inspect the shoulder on the spindle to make sure the seal will fit properly. A little light sanding with a light sandpaper (emery cloth) will improve the seal performance.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #6

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Bearings always come with new races. When I'm doing new bearings I'll tighten the castle nut to seat the bearings then back it off. I then hand tighten the castle nut and back off to the first hole I can put the cotter pin through. I like a very slight amount of play. Never have had a bearing problem.
Yeppers. That's the secret... Just a touch of play.
I've towed my sailboat all over the country for 14 years with 1 bearing being replaced. And that includes summer trips to California across the desert in the heat.

I now user same technique with my trailer bearings.
Choose usa bearings.
Hand pack with grease.
Seat them while spinning hub.
Back off and leave a touch of play in drum.
D

videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote