Place to Jack Up to Grease Wheel Bearings - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2019, 12:43 AM   #1
nbb

Texas
Place to Jack Up to Grease Wheel Bearings

I need to grease my wheel bearings and check for any play on the wheels that could indicate wheel bearing wear. Is it okay to put a jack under the U clamps on the leaf spring assembly on the axle to jack up each wheel one at a time? I don't want to risk bending and axle and on these independent leaf spring suspension TT's backing one wheel up on leveling blocks to get the other wheel off the ground doesn't work. I just want to spin the tire as I grease a couple of shots and check for any play that could indicate wheel bearing wear. I have a small floor jack I can use. I have a 2018 25RKSL Aerolite and have had really good luck with it. No problems whatsoever and have owned it about a year and a half. Use it quite a bit but only make very short trips. First one I have ever owned. Thank you for your input.

nbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:50 AM   #2

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbb View Post
I need to grease my wheel bearings and check for any play on the wheels that could indicate wheel bearing wear. Is it okay to put a jack under the U clamps on the leaf spring assembly on the axle to jack up each wheel one at a time? I don't want to risk bending and axle and on these independent leaf spring suspension TT's backing one wheel up on leveling blocks to get the other wheel off the ground doesn't work. I just want to spin the tire as I grease a couple of shots and check for any play that could indicate wheel bearing wear. I have a small floor jack I can use. I have a 2018 25RKSL Aerolite and have had really good luck with it. No problems whatsoever and have owned it about a year and a half. Use it quite a bit but only make very short trips. First one I have ever owned. Thank you for your input.

The old car rule was always as close to the wheel as possible. So the u-clamps are probably a good choice. Only other thing I would add is make sure you are on absolutely level ground and only do one axle at a time.

Stay safe.
Bill

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:26 PM   #3

Wyoming
I agree. Be sure you have chocks forward and reverse.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:02 AM   #4

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
I agree. Be sure you have chocks forward and reverse.

Oh yeah! Forgot that one. Good call.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:24 AM   #5

California
Don’t t Jack axle

According to the manual for myAspen Trail (yes I read it), the jack goes on the trailer frame and not the axles. A bottle jack and two jack stands are also recommended.
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:08 AM   #6

Oregon
I have always jacked under the U clamps. I have never thought lifting one side of the trailer with a bottle jack on the frame was a good idea either. That is alot of weight and stress to put in one small portion of the frame to lift one side of the trailer. That said if you do decide to lift at the frame I would use a 12" 4x4 block between the frame and jack.

You should pull your wheels, remove the grease seal, clean the bearings, repack with wheel bearing grease, new seals. Tighten axle nut with proper tension and new cotter pin. Good time to inspect brakes and magnet..
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #7

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
According to the manual for myAspen Trail (yes I read it), the jack goes on the trailer frame and not the axles. A bottle jack and two jack stands are also recommended.

I rarely deal in absolutes. But that manual could not be more wrong.
My trailer frame (2018 243 BHSL) is 22 inches off the ground. (your mileage may vary) My axles are not even 12 inches off the ground. Personally, being a shade tree mechanic of some repute. I have the proper jacks and stands to jack that far up. But you need more than 22 inches of lift. I imagine it would take another 6 + inches to get the wheel off the ground due to the slack in the suspension. If you ever do it that way. stand behind your trailer and enjoy the view. YIKES!

Jacking under the axle, your wheel comes off the ground in an inch or so of jacking. Using proper jack stands and VOILA! Your up and secure with only a couple of inches of lift.

In addition jacking under the frame will start to tear up the under belly cover. We don't need to add more problems.

Just my unrestrained opinion.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:51 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
I rarely deal in absolutes. But that manual could not be more wrong.
My trailer frame (2018 243 BHSL) is 22 inches off the ground. (your mileage may vary) My axles are not even 12 inches off the ground. Personally, being a shade tree mechanic of some repute. I have the proper jacks and stands to jack that far up. But you need more than 22 inches of lift. I imagine it would take another 6 + inches to get the wheel off the ground due to the slack in the suspension. If you ever do it that way. stand behind your trailer and enjoy the view. YIKES!

Jacking under the axle, your wheel comes off the ground in an inch or so of jacking. Using proper jack stands and VOILA! Your up and secure with only a couple of inches of lift.

In addition jacking under the frame will start to tear up the under belly cover. We don't need to add more problems.

Just my unrestrained opinion.
This is why wood blocks are recommended. Neither the RV mfr nor the axle mfr recommend jacking on the axle and for the same reason you give....that’s alot of weight ine the axle and it could do damage a number of wAys.

I’m certainly no expert, but when my choices are: following the directions of the manufacturer laid out in the manuals or following the advice of someone on the internet.....
Old 02-21-2019, 08:54 PM   #9

South Carolina
I hear you but still have to disagree with the manufacturer.

Jacking a couple of inches on the shackle is a lot less stress and a lot less dangerous. The shackle is the exact same place where the weight of the trailer is under normal operation. No different. So where is the jeopardy?

How many 4x4 blocks does it take to get your jack high enough to get your wheel off of the ground? How high does the frame have to go to get the tire and inch off the ground??

Have to agree to disagree
Old 02-22-2019, 02:13 AM   #10

California
No jack with the TT

Quote:
I hear you but still have to disagree with the manufacturer.

Jacking a couple of inches on the shackle is a lot less stress and a lot less dangerous. The shackle is the exact same place where the weight of the trailer is under normal operation. No different. So where is the jeopardy?

How many 4x4 blocks does it take to get your jack high enough to get your wheel off of the ground? How high does the frame have to go to get the tire and inch off the ground??

Have to agree to disagree
Agreed. Anyone ever notice the manufacturer doesn’t give you a jack for your TT? Spare tire? Yes! Jack and related necessities? You are on your own!
Old 02-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #11

Florida
When my tires blew, we jacked from the axle, case closed! I agree with Aaron, you only need to get the tire off the ground by and inch or so which means you are only lifting a few inches. I have two axles on my RV and they are independent.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:04 PM   #12

Wyoming
I asked my dealer about the jack when we bought our rig. The response was, "Your truck has a jack, it's presumed that you would just use that one."
Old 02-22-2019, 06:28 PM   #13

South Carolina
Quote:
I asked my dealer about the jack when we bought our rig. The response was, "Your truck has a jack, it's presumed that you would just use that one."

Go figure

The problem is that not all vehicle jacks are appropriate for a TT. I discovered that early on. At home fortunately.

So had to buy something appropriate for the trailer.

Have fun
Bill
Old 02-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #14

Wyoming
A bottle jack is great to carry as it works better on the truck anyway.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:16 PM   #15

Florida
Quote:
A bottle jack is great to carry as it works better on the truck anyway.
I bought a bottle jack and a collapsible lug wrench.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #16
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Go figure

The problem is that not all vehicle jacks are appropriate for a TT. I discovered that early on. At home fortunately.

So had to buy something appropriate for the trailer.

Have fun
Bill
I have also noticed that not all vehicle jacks are appropriate for the vehicle they come with either...

Our motor home on a 14,500# chassis came with exactly the same jack that my bride's 6,000# F-150 did. Yes I carry a 10 ton bottle jack. Don't have enough room for the 15 ton floor jack.

Only axles I wouldn't want to jack directly on the axle on would be torsion axles.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:51 PM   #17

Florida
Quote:
When I bought Dutchmen I asked the same question and was told that the factory was concerned about our safety and didn't want us changing tires along side busy roads.
My response was then why did they put on China bombs AND give me a spare?
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:05 PM   #18

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
When I bought Dutchmen I asked the same question and was told that the factory was concerned about our safety and didn't want us changing tires along side busy roads.
My response was then why did they put on China bombs AND give me a spare?

Old 02-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #19

Illinois
Jack

I personally jack under spring plate,, to jack using frame on my 5th wheel would take several blocks and made it kind of scary and wobbly,, jmo
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:33 PM   #20

Oregon
I bought the low profile 20 ton bottle jack from Harbor Freight. ArmyVeteran has it right. Just a couple of pumps on the bottle jack under the U bolts or Spring plate and the tire is off the ground.

If your on the road and you have to change a tire it's not likely your going to have a bunch of 4x4 blocks to jack your rig up at the frame.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton...ack-66482.html

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote