Newbie ?? about testing brakes (be nice) - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #1

Georgia
Newbie ?? about testing brakes (be nice)

I'm a total newbie to pulling a trailer, at least anything big enough to have it's own brakes. We just bought a used Dutchmen Toy Hauler (winners circle 37SRV) with three axles and (of course) brakes. I have a couple of questions as I want to understand what's going on before I even pull it for the first time. Please be gentle with me, I did a search and could not find an answer to these. Note that I haven't taken delivery yet so I can't even stick my head under there and look for myself.
1) Are there brakes on all three axles?
2) In the owners manual I downloaded from Dutchmen, in the pre-travel checklist, it states: "test the brakes on the trailer". I searched the entire 3 mb document, and could find no procedure for testing the brakes. What is the correct way to do it?
3) Would you recommend pulling the breakaway switch prior to lowering the landing gear, to make sure the trailer doesn't move while unhitching?
Thanks in advance for your help.

redbarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #2

Texas
1) Are there brakes on all three axles? There should be

2) In the owners manual I downloaded from Dutchmen, in the pre-travel checklist, it states: "test the brakes on the trailer". I searched the entire 3 mb document, and could find no procedure for testing the brakes. What is the correct way to do it? You should have a brake controller in your vehicle. Depending on the make and if it is factory or aftermarket there will be a slide that will activate the brakes on the trailer. You should able to keep the vehicle from moving with it engaged. You can adjust the level accordingly
3) Would you recommend pulling the breakaway switch prior to lowering the landing gear, to make sure the trailer doesn't move while unhitching?
Thanks in advance for your help. No, you should chock your wheels before unhitching, always.

firestone bags with AirRide wireless auto level Curt Q20 on R5 rails
Jbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:41 AM   #3

Arizona
Jbee covered it very well. Nice reply.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote