New TT, NEW tires and TPMS System - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2021, 04:04 PM   #1

Montana
New TT, NEW tires and TPMS System

After doing tire reviews and realizing that Dutchmen is putting the, pretty much, worst rated China Bomb's (Trail Kings) on my new Aspen Trail, I'm going to switch them out for Good Year Endurance with four installed at Discount Tire for 574.00. Then, I'm also getting the "tireminder" blue tooth TPMS for the four new tires at like 239.00. I'm also getting Ram 1500 specific coil spring airbags at 114.00 just because... It's sometime nice to have those coils on the back as it makes this kind of mod much less expensive. I will be at the upper end of my "capacity" and these have good reviews. I'll look but likely have my local after market specialty place put em on. So, for about a thousand bucks I'll have upgraded the safety aspects quite a bit. I'll keep and eye on the shackles for the suspension, maybe look at that in a year or so...

Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:07 PM   #2

Florida
Good call!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:33 PM   #3

California
Tire price seems really good. You appear to be thorough but double check the capacity on the exact tire you are getting. I know there are different Endurance tires that will fit your rim so just make sure you get the proper one.

Smart move on your part.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:38 PM   #4

Florida
By the way, make sure they change the valve stems also. BEST to purchase them at amazon or something and use the metal ones.

Frank
Old 03-06-2021, 02:56 PM   #5

California
They are on my Aspen Trail, love them. Especially like the way they track. TPMS is also good, mine tells me if pressure falls below the minimum I have set in it.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:56 PM   #6

Florida
new tires

I think most of us will agree that the good year endurance is the best tire and made in the USA is a plus. According to Goodyear the ST205-7515R has 8 ply on the tread and 2 ply on the sides. It is rated for 87 miles per hour( which is insane to drive that fast) , has a load rating of 2,150 lbs. My 2002, 25ft Dutchman has Heartland tires which are only available at Discount Tire. These tires have 4 ply on the tread and 2 ply on the sides. They are made in China. The load rating, speed dating etc are identical and the warranty for whatever any of them mean, are the same. My tires show a manufacture date of (DOT 4916) which is Dec 2016. I have read tires should be replaced every 3-7 years and 5 being the most popular guess. It seems most blowouts occur on the side of the tires not on the tread part. So sideblow outs are my concern as we drive 50-60 MPH and less than 4,000 miles per year. I use the jacks at home to take the pressure off the tires when parked on concrete drive. It is time to think new tires now and I do not want tire problems so it will be endurance this time. I like hearing about the endurance tires but I would also like to hear about the Heartland. I would not consider any others except the ones above.
edwin sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:45 PM   #7

Florida
COOPER has a brand of tire manufactured here in the US called ROADMASTER! They offer limited sizes but look good in Their tire ratings.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:14 PM   #8

Montana
Interesting that American corporations are responding to foreign "interlopers." Cooper and Michelin appear to be on a hard course to re-take the market. In a sense there is an evolution here going on. There for awhile, the foreign (not going to say China so as to NOT bias my argument, it was Japan in the sixties) competition pretty much got rid of the American made competition by price alone. Good Year first responded, for example, by simply labeling a Chinese made product (Marathon) and counting on the American "label" Goodyear to outsell the competition. Well, they ended up with one of the worst tires...and harmed themselves.

With improving technologies needing fewer human beings and better tech, and increasing transport and labor costs, the "price" advantage of the foreign products are gone and when they "earn" a lable calling them "bombs," well... Good Year now can compete pricewise when complimented by obvious quality. It has come out with a superior tire (Endurance) and is starting to recover market share while making a "home grown" product. Cooper apparently is learning the lesson along with Michelin from what I am seeing... AND now we can buy quality tires at reasonable prices. My 574.00 on four Endurances installed isn't bad and just a few bucks over the lesser tires.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:04 PM   #9

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin sandel View Post
I think most of us will agree that the good year endurance is the best tire and made in the USA is a plus. According to Goodyear the ST205-7515R has 8 ply on the tread and 2 ply on the sides. It is rated for 87 miles per hour( which is insane to drive that fast) , has a load rating of 2,150 lbs. My 2002, 25ft Dutchman has Heartland tires which are only available at Discount Tire. These tires have 4 ply on the tread and 2 ply on the sides. They are made in China. The load rating, speed dating etc are identical and the warranty for whatever any of them mean, are the same. My tires show a manufacture date of (DOT 4916) which is Dec 2016. I have read tires should be replaced every 3-7 years and 5 being the most popular guess. It seems most blowouts occur on the side of the tires not on the tread part. So sideblow outs are my concern as we drive 50-60 MPH and less than 4,000 miles per year. I use the jacks at home to take the pressure off the tires when parked on concrete drive. It is time to think new tires now and I do not want tire problems so it will be endurance this time. I like hearing about the endurance tires but I would also like to hear about the Heartland. I would not consider any others except the ones above.

I would suggest you read the material "list" molded on the tire sidewall and not rely on Internet advertising. The "Load Range" is the key. "Ply Rating" went away in the 70's. Most ST tires will have 1 or possibly 2 layers or ply in the sidewall and the tread will have the same number of layers + 2 layers of steel and some also have 1 or possibly 2 layers of Nylon. I am not aware of any tires in your size range with 8 actual "ply" or layers in the tread.
The 87 is called a "Speed Rating" but in reality it is a heat tolerance as the test is only a 30 minute test at the rating and should only be used as a relative comparison with tires from one company.

Sidewall "blowouts" are correctly called Sidewall Run Low Flex Failure. But unless you are an experienced forensic tire engineer you probably will have some difficulty telling the difference.
You might want to review THIS post.
Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:28 PM   #10

Washington
I have the tire minder wireless TPMS. Good Call but make sure to put metal valve stems on the wheels. My tire transmitters would sometime stop sending and after talking to the tire minder distributor he said this is common with rubber stems so mine are being changed out with new tires also.
Logging the miles in the USA. Adventure awaits around every corner.
kjlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:22 PM   #11

California
The day I drove my 2019 Dutchman Voltage 3615 toy hauler home I had a blow out and it destroyed the skirting. I went with the Hercules H901 tire. They are very heavy duty and re groveable. I believe they are 14 ply. Awesome tire made by Cooper tires in the USA!
bobkimtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:14 PM   #12

Ohio
"metal" valve stems

Be careful as what you want are "bolt-in" metal stems which are usually Nickle plated brass. I have seen some advertised as Stainless Steel but have my doubts.

There are some rubber stems with thin metal sleeve over the rubber. Not what I recommend.
Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:49 AM   #13

Minnesota
Good approach. I have had Goodyear Endurance on two TTs and enjoy peace of mind. TPMS seems like a good idea. We have factory TPMS on our cars (Honda Odyssey and Escalade) but not on the Aerolite TT. Probably install a system on the TT this spring. The price for the tires seems good. I have no affiliation with Goodyear, but we have Assurances on my wife's Odyssey and 22" Eagles on the Caddy, my TV. I just trust 'em. Good luck with your new RV.
Snowman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:06 PM   #14

South Carolina
Just upgraded again to GoodYear Endurance. Second Trailer.
4-225/75/15 at Discount Tire again.
$667 tax title mounting balancing warranty metal valve stems and free coffee.
Good to go:-)
Old 03-14-2021, 05:09 PM   #15

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
By the way, make sure they change the valve stems also. BEST to purchase them at amazon or something and use the metal ones.

Frank
CAUTION: The wheels that Dutchmen puts on the trailer have a recessed well on the rim into which the valve stems goes; you cannot put valve stems on that have the nut on the outside because of the well. I ran into this and purchased valve stems that have the nuts on the inside of the rim. Here's the link to those valve stems on Amazon: Cost was $9.99 for 4. I also went with the GY Endurance but upgraded to 215/75 R 14's, the largest that would fit the 14 inch rims, original were 205/75 R14, new ones are slightly wider.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:51 PM   #16

California
What about the rims that they put on the Voltages? Are they the same. Can anybody confirm which metal valve stems work on those? I am thinking it is a good idea to keep a set in my trailer in case I have an issue with my rubber stems and will eventually swap them out down the road.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:03 PM   #17

Washington
Just look at the rim where the valve stem is. If there is a well it will be obvious. My previous post contains a link to valve stems that will work.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:11 PM   #18

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfour5 View Post
After doing tire reviews and realizing that Dutchmen is putting the, pretty much, worst rated China Bomb's (Trail Kings) on my new Aspen Trail, I'm going to switch them out for Good Year Endurance with four installed at Discount Tire for 574.00. Then, I'm also getting the "tireminder" blue tooth TPMS for the four new tires at like 239.00. I'm also getting Ram 1500 specific coil spring airbags at 114.00 just because... It's sometime nice to have those coils on the back as it makes this kind of mod much less expensive. I will be at the upper end of my "capacity" and these have good reviews. I'll look but likely have my local after market specialty place put em on. So, for about a thousand bucks I'll have upgraded the safety aspects quite a bit. I'll keep and eye on the shackles for the suspension, maybe look at that in a year or so...
I've done much of the same for my new (to me) Aspen Trail for the same reasons. I am at the top end for payload (well within the margin for towing weight). I found the TT had Constancy China tires with a 2516 date code! I wish the dealership had been more upfront (honest) about tires. The spare they put a new dealership branded cover on was completely bald and unusable! I wish I'd thought to ask/check. The four tires looked okay on tread which is all I really looked at. My mistake.

Another mistake from my lack of experience and now expense was that the dealership also sold me the trailer with worn out electric brakes. So, yeah a fair amount of unexpected initial expense. After a WD E2 Hitch, I also added AirLift 1000HD bags to my Ram 1500 for the same reason. So far so good - I've only moved the trailer once since then and just a short distance but I was pleased. I hope they last.

The new tires aren't installed yet, waiting for better weather. The Goodyears were a bit too pricy so I hope we'll do okay with 5 new Carlisle tires. I did bump up from the C to D rating to get more substantial tires. At least it's an American company although the tires were made in China at a Carlisle factory. They have good reviews so we'll see how they do.

I am really curious about the TPMS system. I'd like to hear how that works out.
UTNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:08 AM   #19

Illinois
I bought the TST system. I think it was around $600 for the 10 tires and the color monitor. Such a load off my mind. No more checking tires and temperatures at every stop. Continually monitors pressure and temperature, rotating from tire to tire every few seconds. Sets a tone off if tire goes out of parameters. Takes about a half hour to initially set up. Love it.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:09 PM   #20

Montana
Thanks for all the information and advice. I'm thinking of moving up to 15 inch wheels from the 14 inch. It came with the trailer king 205/75 R14's. Now I'm looking and the choices for the rims/wheels come in 4 1/2 width and 5 inch. Any observations? Advice? I'm having a hard time finding any specific information... AND, this thread keeps popping up in my searches.