Leaf Spring size and replacement - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2021, 12:18 AM   #1

Illinois
Leaf Spring size and replacement

Hello,

I am looking to replace the leaf springs on my 2016 Dutchmen voltage 3200. I believe I had the load in the cargo area unbalanced and it cause the springs on the passanger side to bend.

I measured the springs from eye to eye and they appear to be 26.25", however, I am not able to find any double eye leaf springs in that size. All I can find are 26". Maybe mine are 26"?

I'm not sure exactly what size I need and at what capacity?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210617_183805.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	6900   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210617_135254.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	6901   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210617_135236.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	6902   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210617_135205.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	6903  

Tevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:46 AM   #2

Florida
Try a spring shop like Chicago spring and leaf your profile shows Chicago area ,or any commercial truck leafspring repair shop they will have far more knowledge than an rv shop without the guessing game here in Tampa Bay Area we have Tampa spring, all our best central Florida

Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:32 AM   #3

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalvw View Post
Try a spring shop like Chicago spring and leaf your profile shows Chicago area ,or any commercial truck leafspring repair shop they will have far more knowledge than an rv shop without the guessing game here in Tampa Bay Area we have Tampa spring, all our best central Florida
I'm currently in Nashville but I will call the local truck and spring shops to try and find out if they can help me.

I'm not sure if I will be okay to drive it back to Chicago (about an 8 hour drive) in its current condition.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:01 AM   #4

California
It was likely not the way you loaded it but rather the inadequate/low quality factory leaf springs that Voltage or more specifically Lippert specs for our trailers—especially us two axle guys.

Several of us have replaced them. If you do a search you can find a few threads on this exact issue.

I had mine replaced with 7 leaf American made springs by Triangle. They are manufactured in Fontana, CA and they are far superior to the Chinese garbage our trailers come with. Another member went with 8 leaf springs on his rig from the same manufacturer.

Again, this is way too common on the two axle 40’ foot toy haulers. The 3-axle trailers don’t seem to have this issue as the load is better distributed across an additional axle and another set of leafs. Also, many replace the shackles and bolts with heavier grade stuff.

I do not recommend the wet bolt replacement set up either as they don’t seem up to the task on the three axle trailers. For that matter you probably need to avoid truck tires too as they don’t seem to have the load capacity as the proper trailer tires.
Name:  IMG_0244.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  4.3 KB

Notice the difference in the factory spring and the one from Triangle I replaced it with (all four). Only one more leaf bit a much greater arc. Two and a half years later and they are holding up well.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:47 AM   #5

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
It was likely not the way you loaded it but rather the inadequate/low quality factory leaf springs that Voltage or more specifically Lippert specs for our trailers—especially us two axle guys.

Several of us have replaced them. If you do a search you can find a few threads on this exact issue.

I had mine replaced with 7 leaf American made springs by Triangle. They are manufactured in Fontana, CA and they are far superior to the Chinese garbage our trailers come with. Another member went with 8 leaf springs on his rig from the same manufacturer.

Again, this is way too common on the two axle 40’ foot toy haulers. The 3-axle trailers don’t seem to have this issue as the load is better distributed across an additional axle and another set of leafs. Also, many replace the shackles and bolts with heavier grade stuff.

I do not recommend the wet bolt replacement set up either as they don’t seem up to the task on the three axle trailers. For that matter you probably need to avoid truck tires too as they don’t seem to have the load capacity as the proper trailer tires.
Attachment 6904

Notice the difference in the factory spring and the one from Triangle I replaced it with (all four). Only one more leaf bit a much greater arc. Two and a half years later and they are holding up well.
Thank you so much for the information.

Right now I'm trying to determine my leaf spring size. I measured from eye to eye and I'm getting 26.25", however, looking online I don't see any double eye leaf springs that are that size. I'm only seeing double eye that are 26".

Do you know if there are double eyes that come in 26.25" in size? Maybe I'm not measuring correctly and my size is actually 26". Id like to order from triangle but I'm worried about delivery time as I am a full timer and need this fixed asap.

Here is what I'm thinking of installing until I can get parts from triangle:
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Leaf-Spring-Suspension/Universal-Group/SP-053275.html
Old 06-18-2021, 08:11 PM   #6

California
A couple of thoughts:

Perhaps the difference is flex. Not sure.

I really like etrailer but suspect those leafs will be the same low quality ones that came on your trailer. Perhaps fine for short term and not terrible to throw $75 as a short term solution but I would call Triangle or am install shop and ask them what they suggest. Something tells me our leaf springs are all a standard length.

I think the reality is these factory springs are not up to the task of our two axle toy haulers. Might be fine for a three axle but not a two axle.

You also need to replace the hangers too. They are too thin and will stretch out and then break. In less than a year and maybe 6 loaded trips the hangers were stretched out and beginning to oval out. They were very close to breaking and others have had them break.

I replaced the fancy mohrryde suspension with very basic heavy duty stuff that is up to the task. I threw the factory stuff in the garbage. Again, might be fine for less weight but poor application here.

Do this once and do it right. Not cheap but relative the price of your trailer and the cargo that you might be carrying it is very cheap!
Old 06-24-2021, 03:11 PM   #7

Indiana
I got my springs at Northern Tool. They were a lot heavier springs than original and worked well. Being a little thicker spring, I also had to replace the u bolts with longer ones.
4 leaves
25 1/4in. eye center
1 3/4in. wide springs with 9/16in. double eyelets
Sold individually Model # SW4.
Hope this helps!
sdh305@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:13 PM   #8

Indiana
I got my springs at Northern Tool. They were a lot heavier springs than original and worked well. Being a little thicker spring, I also had to replace the u bolts with longer ones.
4 leaves
25 1/4in. eye center
1 3/4in. wide springs with 9/16in. double eyelets
Sold individually Model # SW4.
Hope this helps! Mine is a 2016 Kodiak 279RBSL.
sdh305@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:05 PM   #9

California
All of these replies are right on in reference to the lack of quality regarding the stock suspension. I had to replace all suspension parts on my 3605 40'. I included bracing the leaf holders to the frame and installing two Ibeams from side to side near the spring holders due the flexing of the trailer. Lippert mobile repair performed the work at my house. Very pleased with the work and I can now tow without worrying about suspension failure at 65mpg.
dmcvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:26 AM   #10

Kentucky
My springs on my 2018 3605 are flattened out. I am wanting to replace with something better. Would anyone know how to order the correct spring from Triangle. Maybe a part number or length of spring etc.

15hdsglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaf springs, repair, suspension, voltage