Hydraulic leveling: Pros and cons? - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2016, 01:17 PM   #21

Virginia
My 2015 worked fine the first year but now something is wrong. We are not able to get the the jacks up or down without few seconds bursts of power. Dealership is clueless and has tried to blame the truck, batteries, and user error... Was awesome when it worked.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

clint343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #22

Michigan
Check all crimp connectors. Mine were all crap. I replaced them all and everything works great again. I was able to pull every wire out of the connectors with very little effort. Also check the connections on the 50 amp circuit breaker that supplies the pump motor. Mine had loose connections on the bus bar and ended up burning the stud off inside the breaker

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:55 PM   #23

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint343 View Post
My 2015 worked fine the first year but now something is wrong. We are not able to get the the jacks up or down without few seconds bursts of power. Dealership is clueless and has tried to blame the truck, batteries, and user error... Was awesome when it worked.

There is a know issue with the auto reset breaker tripping on the level up. Since day one mine is only good for about 15 to 20 seconds and then needs as long a break to re set. I can live with that...

There are a series of post on the HOC site about replacing the 50 Amp breaker to an 80 Amp. Some have expressed concerns with that, at least I would try replacing the OEM breaker that you should be able to find at the auto parts store.
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #24

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
p
There are a series of post on the HOC site about replacing the 50 Amp breaker to an 80 Amp. Some have expressed concerns with that, at least I would try replacing the OEM breaker that you should be able to find at the auto parts store.
Whenever I here someone suggest a larger fuse or circuit breaker I remember an old shop teacher I had. We were talking about fuses one day, (this goes back to the days of screw in fuse panels) he said that if we use a penny to bypass a burnt out fuse, "be sure you use an American penny." Short pause, then some asks why, because an American penny says, "In god we trust."

I replaced all the OEM circuit breakers after one of them fell apart while I was replacing the batteries. If you want to go crazy, you can buy a set of gold plated breakers from the electonics store, but you can't go wrong Cooper Bussman products from the auto parts store.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:24 PM   #25

Texas
Hydraulic leveling: Pros and cons?

Here is the recommendation to up grade the breaker from the manufacture... If mine keeps stalling I'm probably gonna change it out because I cannot find where to screw in the penny!!!

http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/m...ippert0058.pdf

Here is a quote from the moderator on the HOC site to give justice to both sides of the coin...

[QUOTE=danemayer;464440]There are differences of opinion on moving to a larger breaker to fix the problem. At one time Lippert recommended moving up to an 80 amp breaker, but then they withdrew that Lip Sheet.

Some people have had the current usage measured and found that the motor is pulling close to 80 amps. But the question remains: why is it pulling that many amps?

So before you move to a higher value breaker, you should check things out to make sure you have clean, tight electrical connections, a good battery charge, and no binds in the mechanical parts.

Changing to a new 50 amp breaker may just solve the problem in 10 minutes for $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
Old 07-03-2016, 10:30 PM   #26

Oklahoma
I have the gear motor type of leveling feet and don't have this problem but I do have a question for those of you that have had problems and have done some diagnosis on the problem.

Does the power for the pump come directly from the battery, through the circuit breaker to the pump? Is there a relay in the circuit anywhere that you've found?
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #27

Florida
Not actually a Lippert problem, but I had a leak while leveling that resulted in an on site service call. Dutchman runs the lines through the frame with no bushing to protect the lines from the metal edge of the frame (2016 Voltage). The metal frame on my rig rubbed a hole into the supply line that runs from the middle to back jack after only about 4000 miles of travel. I've put vinyl collars around each of the lines now which I hope will stop further problems.
GeorgeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:46 PM   #28

Virginia
My pump was replaced by the dealer under the warranty. According to them the low battery causes the system to crash.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:55 PM   #29

Texas
Quote:
CON

I already had a leak in the same line repaired under warranty??? Now it looks to be ruptured. Maybe it was the nine months of being leveled up while full timing stationary. That rear off door jack is the first up/down and must get the most pressure from the pump?

Will not repair at a dealer or use my extended warranty. I have a friend that rebuilds directional drilling motors and he is going to help me replace it with a braided line.

Even with the problems with the leaks... I think the level up is a great feature and I wouldn't buy a trailer without.

On several trips since June the trailer still levels up even with the leak. Just after this post a Bridgestone Hose Power mobile hydraulic repair truck passed me on the road and I wrote down his number. I finally got them out yesterday and they replaced the hose on site in an hour for a $75 trip/labor charge and $45 to make a new custom hose.

That beats hauling / leaving it with a dealer, hands down!!!

Mike & Helen
Old 09-22-2016, 01:27 AM   #30

Texas
I though I should clarify my comments above if anyone is considering using the mobile hydraulic repair vendor. I finally called them after 3 months on a Friday and they came out Monday morning. There is a vendor locator on their website hose power.com

Mike & Helen
Old 09-22-2016, 02:34 AM   #31

Colorado
But all the little problems posted...I would not own my Voltage without the Lippert hydraulic self leveling jacks.
I mean, you unlock the 5th wheel hitch, lower the front jacks until the plate separates about 1/4". Then drive the truck out from under the hitch, and push the Self Level button. That's it.

Don't need wheel chocks...if those six hydraulic jacks, with 10" plates on the end of each, firmly planted on the ground I really don't see how the RV can move.

Just sayin'

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:18 AM   #32

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
But all the little problems posted...I would not own my Voltage without the Lippert hydraulic self leveling jacks.
I mean, you unlock the 5th wheel hitch, lower the front jacks until the plate separates about 1/4". Then drive the truck out from under the hitch, and push the Self Level button. That's it.

Don't need wheel chocks...if those six hydraulic jacks, with 10" plates on the end of each, firmly planted on the ground I really don't see how the RV can move.

Just sayin'

Pirate
Let's not forget that when us with level up pull into a site, we also aren't placing boards under our tires to get side to side level before we unhitch from the truck. Very much worth it!
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:30 AM   #33

Virginia
Appreciate the experiences being left here. Mine hasn't leaked yet but I can tell from looking at the poor craftsmanship and rust that a repair is coming.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #34

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint343 View Post
poor craftsmanship...
I thought the same and made a comment to the repair technician that it probably sprung a leak because it was cheap hose...
He corrected me and told me the hydraulic line hoses on my level up were actually a high quality type of hose and that's what he replaced it with.

Mike & Helen
Old 09-22-2016, 08:27 PM   #35

Colorado
Don has a good point!

And when I needed tires for the Voltage, all six of em. I hooked the Voltage to the truck for safety, then raised the six jacks, place a section of railroad tie under each jack. then lowered the jacks to the tie sections, unhooked the truck, and extended the jacks until all the wheels were 4" off the concrete.

Took the six wheels of an took them for new tires...had to order them...but the Voltage sat there pretty as could be for two weeks, didn't move a bit.

I like that!!

I have parked in the boondocks once where one jack wasn't quite long enough to auto level, so raised that jack, put blocks of wood under that jack, punched the auto level button again...and voila...sucess!!!

Pirate
Old 09-23-2016, 01:13 AM   #36

Texas
Quote:
Don has a good point!

And when I needed tires for the Voltage, all six of em. I hooked the Voltage to the truck for safety, then raised the six jacks, place a section of railroad tie under each jack. then lowered the jacks to the tie sections, unhooked the truck, and extended the jacks until all the wheels were 4" off the concrete.

Took the six wheels of an took them for new tires...had to order them...but the Voltage sat there pretty as could be for two weeks, didn't move a bit.

I like that!!

I have parked in the boondocks once where one jack wasn't quite long enough to auto level, so raised that jack, put blocks of wood under that jack, punched the auto level button again...and voila...sucess!!!

Pirate
I put new Michelins on my Voltage within 15 miles of ownership, I simply left it hitched to the truck, lowered the jacks and lifted the rear of the trailer as high as the jacks would go and the tire shop used their floor jacks to lift the axles the extra inch or so needed to remove the tires. Much better than having them fight to lift 16,000+ pounds with just their floor jacks; on my last toy hauler they beat the aluminum skirts up with the jack handles due to the extra effort needed. This time it was a breeze for everyone involved.

Additionally I can set up and tear down in less than 1/2 the time of my last trailer which used traditional jacks and "Lego" blocks.

Love my Level Up!
Bluefinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:31 AM   #37

Colorado
But ya know, with the Lippert auto leveling system it is so much work to push that "Auto Level" button I almost always have to sit down and have a cold beverage. Real work ya know!! LOL!!!
Old 09-23-2016, 02:08 AM   #38
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
But ya know, with the Lippert auto leveling system it is so much work to push that "Auto Level" button I almost always have to sit down and have a cold beverage. Real work ya know!! LOL!!!
My current rig has the BigFoot system... might be just a bit more work than the Lippert. That makes it a two beer job.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #39

British Columbia
Quote:
On several trips since June the trailer still levels up even with the leak. Just after this post a Bridgestone Hose Power mobile hydraulic repair truck passed me on the road and I wrote down his number. I finally got them out yesterday and they replaced the hose on site in an hour for a $75 trip/labor charge and $45 to make a new custom hose.

That beats hauling / leaving it with a dealer, hands down!!!

Mike,

After 3 days laying in a hospital bed thinking on the hydraulic leveling system, you guys have about changed my mind.

This week is Forestry week in our province, when I got home and read the Sunday paper, all of the hydraulic repair/manufacturers in my area. had a collective ad. Before I order a set of cross frame electric levelers, I'm going to get an estimate on a custom built leveling system, but without all the electronic bits, that seem to be the biggest part failure, from what I'm getting from many of the posts on the forum.

I've been looking at the hydraulic offerings online, from a couple of suppliers. Electrice power pack, 4 custom built rams and a set of manual controls (bucket loader style) I'm at about $1500 Canadian. Time to turn the conceptual plan into something full scale plan, to check dimensions.

Funny how your prespective changes, when you have the time to ruminate on some of lifes little challenges. Suddenly another totally diferent persective. I suddenly came to the realization that the "he who dies with the most toys when he/she dies, wins." means squat in the great plan.

I finally bought into the idea, when one of my old riding buddies made a comment about having a stack of pictures 'bout 4' high and the memories that come along with them VS a bank account with a 4' stack of hundreds.

The puch line in life, "nobody gets out of here alive"

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:44 AM   #40

British Columbia
Quote:
Pirate,

Is that before or after lighting the smoker.

I can see myself now, adult beverage in left hand, coal shovel in right. A freind to share a beverage with as the smoke rises. American Expresses old tag line, "don't leave home with out it." hits the smoker on the stack.