Found the TIRE INFLATION CHART GoodYear Endurance - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-09-2019, 04:50 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 694
South Carolina
Well, I called Good Year Customer Service. 800 321 2136


I asked the question: "Should I use the sidewall marked maximum tire pressure on my GOODYEAR ENDURANCE TIRES, if my trailer weight is 1250 pounds per tire." The answer was no. The tires would be overinflated. The instruction was to use the published chart and apply tire pressure according to weight.



Anyone can call and see what answer they get.
__________________

__________________
"the older my father got the smarter I got"
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Kent
Posts: 65
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Well, I called Good Year Customer Service. 800 321 2136

I asked the question: "Should I use the sidewall marked maximum tire pressure on my GOODYEAR ENDURANCE TIRES, if my trailer weight is 1250 pounds per tire." The answer was no. The tires would be overinflated. The instruction was to use the published chart and apply tire pressure according to weight.

Anyone can call and see what answer they get.

OK. So we have a published Goodyear RV guide as I referenced in my Mar 29 blog post that says

"Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up."


And we have a customer service person who probably doesn't have much experience with RVs telling you something different than the approved Goodyear document.


I choose to go with the published document.


You can go with the phone call if you wish.
__________________

__________________
Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:48 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 694
South Carolina
I am not going anywhere yet. I am trying to get as much info as possible to make an educated decision. To my simplistic mind "over inflating" a tire is just wrong. But trying to keep and open mind



I was actually expecting the Good Year Rep to confirm the information in your quoted document. I was surprised when it was not. With further probing I was informed that they get this question at least once a day. hmmm.



So, maybe I will call again and have then explain this particular paragraph.


""Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up.""

Fun Fun
__________________
"the older my father got the smarter I got"
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Kent
Posts: 65
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
I am not going anywhere yet. I am trying to get as much info as possible to make an educated decision. To my simplistic mind "over inflating" a tire is just wrong. But trying to keep and open mind



I was actually expecting the Good Year Rep to confirm the information in your quoted document. I was surprised when it was not. With further probing I was informed that they get this question at least once a day. hmmm.



So, maybe I will call again and have then explain this particular paragraph.


""Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up.""

Fun Fun



Let us know what they say. I know I'm interested given that I am quoting GY in my tire blog.
__________________
Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:40 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,723
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Well, I called Good Year Customer Service. 800 321 2136


I asked the question: "Should I use the sidewall marked maximum tire pressure on my GOODYEAR ENDURANCE TIRES, if my trailer weight is 1250 pounds per tire." The answer was no. The tires would be overinflated. The instruction was to use the published chart and apply tire pressure according to weight.



Anyone can call and see what answer they get.
If they're telling you to run 25-30psi based on that chart, that's terrible and dangerous advice. I highly doubt their legal department would approve
__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 694
South Carolina
I intend to follow up with them.

See what response I get this time.
__________________
"the older my father got the smarter I got"
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:59 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 694
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Let us know what they say. I know I'm interested given that I am quoting GY in my tire blog.

I called again today. I received the same answer. Do not use the maximum pressure on the sidewall. Use the chart to set the tire pressure according to the weight carried by the tire.


I then asked why the Good Year web site indicated otherwise. I quoted and gave the URL for that paragraph. This particular rep put me on hold for about 15 minutes. Came back and reiterated the initial recommendation. As to the web page was told it is being passed up the chain for review. This info came from a product manager.


I also was given a number for a regional rep in my area. I have not made that call yet.


Will advise.
__________________
"the older my father got the smarter I got"
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Tucson
Posts: 795
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Not sure what you mean? The tires are rated for a maximum 60 PSI (non dual) for 2040 lbs of weight.
I'm looking at the ST235/80R16, which shows 50psi to carry max 2600 lbs per tire. At max load my tires are at 2600 pounds each.
__________________
2014 Voltage 3600
2013 Chevy 3500 CC DRW
2011 Harley Ultra Limited 2016 RZR 900
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:46 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
dsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Calabasas
Posts: 216
California
@azdryheat. I ended up getting the 85 aspect ratio which is maybe an inch taller so half an inch of ride height because that tire has a higher weight capacity and I have a 3305 which is a two axle TH so significantly more weight on each tire than you have. Oddly enough the Westlake’s that came on the rig were 80’s but the spare is an 85 and when I called Dutchmen to confirm the size would work they first said not to go with the 85’s and stay original so when I asked if that meant I should not use their provided spare they put me on hold and came back and said 85’s were fine.

The benefit is that I now have 1/2 an inch higher clearance and I will take anything I can get as far as going in and out of driveways goes as I have always scraped on them in the past.

So my message is if you want greater clearance you might consider the 85’s. Some food for thought anyway.
dsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:19 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 694
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
I'm looking at the ST235/80R16, which shows 50psi to carry max 2600 lbs per tire. At max load my tires are at 2600 pounds each.

Ok.
__________________
"the older my father got the smarter I got"
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:16 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 694
South Carolina
Local Good Year Rep never returned my call.
After the holidays I may try rattling some more cages. hehe


And now a word from our sponsor
Check my next post.
__________________
"the older my father got the smarter I got"
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 694
South Carolina
Article from Haggerty....Chinese Tires

And other stuff. No opinion from me, just offering up as info.



https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...1_Weekend_News




Go all the way down to opinions. This one is good.





"Then there’s the guy who read that most accidents occur within five miles of home, so he moved."
__________________

__________________
"the older my father got the smarter I got"
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2020 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×