Trying to heat bedroom - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2018, 12:55 AM   #1

Arkansas
Trying to heat bedroom

We purchased a 2005 toy hauler, 35' classic, 30 amp. We were just on a trip and the heater does great in the lower section. However, in the bedroom, no. Found just one vent under the shower basin.

I had a convection type portable heater so I turned it on but the main breaker kept going off so that didn't work.

Has anyone had this problem and come up with a solution to get more heat into the bedroom?

Thanks,
Bill

labill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:45 PM   #2

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by labill View Post
We purchased a 2005 toy hauler, 35' classic, 30 amp. We were just on a trip and the heater does great in the lower section. However, in the bedroom, no. Found just one vent under the shower basin.

I had a convection type portable heater so I turned it on but the main breaker kept going off so that didn't work.

Has anyone had this problem and come up with a solution to get more heat into the bedroom?

Thanks,
Bill

Most convection type portable heaters have 2 settings. Assume you tried the lower setting? And they are usually 1500 watts at the top setting. That is 12.5 amps. So if your circuit breaker for your outlet is 15 amp or above your okay. Assuming nothing else is running on that breaker and your not drawing more than 30 amps in the entire trailer.

Here is a 950 watt heater on amazon. No recommendation just did a quick search.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FXF7NZL...detail_7?psc=1

Good luck.

Bill 2

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #3

Arkansas
The one I have is 1500Watt. Worked well in my Avion 50 amp.

On this one would pop circuit if I turned on coffee. I was looking for something to put in a small space in the bedroom and it looks like the one you gave me will do the trick. 700/900 should heat that little area real nice.

Thanks,
Bill
labill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:35 PM   #4

South Carolina
Quote:
The one I have is 1500Watt. Worked well in my Avion 50 amp.

On this one would pop circuit if I turned on coffee. I was looking for something to put in a small space in the bedroom and it looks like the one you gave me will do the trick. 700/900 should heat that little area real nice.

Thanks,
Bill

Great. Coffee makers draw a bit of current, so not surprising. I was amazed at how much a microwave uses. And forget your electric water heater. If 50 amps were available on a smaller trailer like ours I would have got that option.

Have fun

Bill
Old 10-26-2018, 09:21 PM   #5

Florida
I pop the CB every time I have the heater and the coffee pot on. If I try to turn on my induction cooktop, it kills it too.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:21 AM   #6

Florida
Many people will run a heavy duty extension cord out to the 110v outlets on the power pedestal, giving them an additional circuit.
Most portable heaters tell you not to use extension cords with them, so shift some other appliance to the extension cord.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:16 AM   #7

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Many people will run a heavy duty extension cord out to the 110v outlets on the power pedestal, giving them an additional circuit. .
Good idea! Why didn't I thunk of that.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2018, 12:41 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Good idea! Why didn't I thunk of that.

Thanks
you can use the 30 (or the 50) amp circuit also. I use the 110 volt for heaters and heat lamps for under the rv in the freezing winter.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:48 PM   #9

Saskatchewan
Most RV's aren't designed to run any kind of portable accessories that draw power, my solution is to get a mattress heater to warm up the bed before you jump in or run a dedicated circuit from the electrical panel to get 15 amps for a heater in the bedroom. Costco has a mattress heater on line for the 100$ mark..
23satd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:04 PM   #10

Michigan
Trying to heat the bedroom.

Based on your description, sounds like you have a 5th wheel. You should have a register around the foot of the bed, If not and the shower is in the step-up, extend the duct to that area in the bedroom and put in a register. should be easy inside the storage area. Space heaters are never a good idea, easy to catch fire in a trailer or at home during the night. That said, it should not kick a breaker unless it's drawing more power than it's supposed to. You have a 15 amp breaker and it should be fine as long as nothing else is on the circuit. Unlike your homes, trailers have 30 amp or 50 amp systems and use 15 amp breakers, while you usually have 20 amp circuits.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:57 PM   #11

Texas
Heater..

Quote:

Thanks,
Bill

I have a 3895 Toy Hauler..and the bedroom aka garage vent in the very back is right next to my washer and dryer..But puts out little air.. I got a Radiator heater..set it on low ( lowest amp draw) and it works amazing.. Just know, it takes time to get the oil heated, but they have the best safety ratings, ( however itself gets hot, so dont touch it) ...But warms the room..
pipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:56 PM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipeliner View Post
I have a 3895 Toy Hauler..and the bedroom aka garage vent in the very back is right next to my washer and dryer..But puts out little air.. I got a Radiator heater..set it on low ( lowest amp draw) and it works amazing.. Just know, it takes time to get the oil heated, but they have the best safety ratings, ( however itself gets hot, so dont touch it) ...But warms the room..
I have one of those that I keep in the bathroom. It works GREAT.