Speaking of Air Conditioning. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #1

South Carolina
Speaking of Air Conditioning.

We have an under one year old Kodiak Ultra light. The Air seemed to work fairly well before. But not so much now. It is a 15 K unit.

I was going to go up on the roof and check to see if we might have some blockage in the unit from leaves and pine needles. We live in the country, heavily wooded. Any precautions to take before I get my 230 lb old butt on the roof?? I am still okay climbing ladders.
Worried about damaging the roof.

How about removing the cover? Any advice.

Thanks

A little video for your viewing pleasure from my drone at home.
Can you spot the Kodiak :-)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NwL...3qL7lOKwJ/view

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:10 PM   #2

Florida
put a piece of plywood down if you can walk on the roof... Some RV's, it's a no-no.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...html#post62399

..according to dutchmen.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:59 PM   #3

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
put a piece of plywood down if you can walk on the roof... Some RV's, it's a no-no.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...html#post62399

..according to dutchmen.

Ok, thanks
Old 08-18-2018, 09:13 PM   #4

Florida
Tool Safety

Get a 5 gallon bucket and some rope. Put your tools in the bucket and tie the rope to the handle. Climb the ladder with the rope in one hand and when you get on top, lift the bucket of tools up.
Descending is the opposite of ascending as they say in the Hanes Manuals.
One hand for you and one hand for the ship is what old sailors say.
2014 RAM Mega Cab 4X4 DRW AISIN 4:10
2014 Voltage 3895 Epic III
2012 Screamin Eagle Street Glide - Lots of performance upgrades! S&S 124" stroker kit & 66mm throttle body, big valves, port & polish...She screams performance!
hbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:44 PM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbens View Post
Get a 5 gallon bucket and some rope. Put your tools in the bucket and tie the rope to the handle. Climb the ladder with the rope in one hand and when you get on top, lift the bucket of tools up.
Descending is the opposite of ascending as they say in the Hanes Manuals.
One hand for you and one hand for the ship is what old sailors say.

Thanks,
Old 08-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #6

Oregon
I own and operate a painting company so...

Your trailer should handle the weight just fine if, like my 2017 Kodiak, it has the Bear Cage aluminum framing.

As far as safety goes, treat going up on it like going onto your roof. In order to avoid the ladder from slipping or scratching the finish of the trailer I use a step ladder to put a piece of that rubber nonslip material that you put under throw rugs in place on the back (or side) of the trailer where the extension ladder will rest when I put it against the unit.

Check ladder for stability when you start up. Take extra care when you make the transfer from the ladder to the trailer roof but be even more careful when you transfer from the roof to the ladder - that’s when an accident is most likely to happen. Just do it slowly and carefully being alert to your ladder making a small adjusting movement on you. The ladder moving a little isn’t the dangerous thing - it’s overreacting to that slight movement and throwing yourself off balance. All in all, make sure your ladder is stable, take it slow, and be deliberate in your movements and you should be just fine.
Researchhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:34 PM   #7

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Researchhound View Post
I own and operate a painting company so...

Your trailer should handle the weight just fine if, like my 2017 Kodiak, it has the Bear Cage aluminum framing.

As far as safety goes, treat going up on it like going onto your roof. In order to avoid the ladder from slipping or scratching the finish of the trailer I use a step ladder to put a piece of that rubber nonslip material that you put under throw rugs in place on the back (or side) of the trailer where the extension ladder will rest when I put it against the unit.

Check ladder for stability when you start up. Take extra care when you make the transfer from the ladder to the trailer roof but be even more careful when you transfer from the roof to the ladder - that’s when an accident is most likely to happen. Just do it slowly and carefully being alert to your ladder making a small adjusting movement on you. The ladder moving a little isn’t the dangerous thing - it’s overreacting to that slight movement and throwing yourself off balance. All in all, make sure your ladder is stable, take it slow, and be deliberate in your movements and you should be just fine.

Thanks for the advice.

Here is a bit of info from Dutchman, via email.

"Certain units are built with 3/8” decking that does allow for walking on the roof for maintenance, cleaning, etc…They are not designed to have a roof party but they can support a person for the afore mentioned reasons.

Your unit has a laminated roof, and is not designed for walking."

Then.

"Most care and maintenance of the roof can be done by using a ladder along side of unit to check seals, clean membrane, etc…

Many folks take their units in a couple times a year to have their dealerships check for the seals around the roof vents, AC’s, etc..

I have talked with folks that do this themselves. Most will be sure they either walk gingerly on the roof truss and some will use a plywood half-sheet as additional support."

Old 08-26-2018, 05:14 PM   #8

Oklahoma
A section of pool noodle zip tied to the extension ladder will prevent damaging the sides.
Speaking of extension ladders, have at least two or three rungs above the roof line. That allows for easy on and off the roof and purchase of the ladder itself.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:05 PM   #9

Florida
That new of rv should be under warranty. Check your thermostat and make sure you have it set on auto and not fan. Check your vents inside and make sure they are open. These sound like things you would check but sometimes someone closes vents and the owner does not know. Taking the cover off will not yield much to see. There is the motor and capactors under that cover and it would take so many leaves and such to affect the A/C coils. Does the thermostat cut on and off on high and low settings. Make sure the motor is blowing the air inside by feeling your vents on high and also low. If that motor on the roof is not running there will be no forced air coming out.
edwin sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #10

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin sandel View Post
That new of rv should be under warranty. Check your thermostat and make sure you have it set on auto and not fan. Check your vents inside and make sure they are open. These sound like things you would check but sometimes someone closes vents and the owner does not know. Taking the cover off will not yield much to see. There is the motor and capactors under that cover and it would take so many leaves and such to affect the A/C coils. Does the thermostat cut on and off on high and low settings. Make sure the motor is blowing the air inside by feeling your vents on high and also low. If that motor on the roof is not running there will be no forced air coming out.

Yes, it is under warranty. Dreading having to take it in for any kind of service. The dealers seem to be ahhh how do i put this??? Never mind.

Everything checks out. Its blowing cooler. The bottom line is that it will only drop the temperature about 10 degrees. This is after running all day.

Yes, it is in the sun part of that time.

10 degrees lower when it is 95 is worthless. Ughhh

Thanks for all the replies again.