Poll: Furrion Vs Houghton AC - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Furrion Vs Houghton
Furrion 1 100.00%
Houghton 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2022, 12:07 AM   #1

Louisiana
Lightbulb Poll: Furrion Vs Houghton AC

I'm in market for a new AC. Both units are going to be 15K BTU

racingturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 01:25 AM   #2

Wyoming
With this very limited amount of information… “C” - None of the above

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 02:21 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Two 15k would challenge a 30 amp system. Do you have a 50 amp 240 volt system? Aspen Trail comes in small, medium, and large sizes.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 04:12 PM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
Two 15k would challenge a 30 amp system. Do you have a 50 amp 240 volt system? Aspen Trail comes in small, medium, and large sizes.

I agree with you. I have a 15K and 12.5K in my boat, and most 30 amp pedestals cannot power both AC units at the same time. The system has two 30 amp circuits and is designed to run off two 30 amp feeds from the pedestal, but at times I try and cheat and use a splitter... If it is cool outside, it usually works as long as I don't run anything else, but in the heat of the summer, no deal.
SlowNEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 01:21 AM   #5

California
@OP are you replacing two units or adding an additional?
Old 10-10-2022, 02:43 PM   #6

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
@OP are you replacing two units or adding an additional?
I'm replacing the OEM advent to either Furrion or RecPro Houghton and was wondering if anyone has some inputs on either Furrion and RecPro
Old 10-10-2022, 03:11 PM   #7

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post

Sorry for not enough infos.

I have the 13.5K Advent ducted on my 2013, 3100BHS AspenTrail and I want to replace it with either the Furrion or RecPro Houghton. I was wondering if any of you owners had installed either the Furrion or RecPro and wanted to hear what do ya think about those two units.

I live in south Louisiana and humidity here is terrible. and use the camper mostly for travel work, i'm a roofer so im not in it most of the day but i want to come back to it to a comfortable room after those long hours outside.
Old 10-10-2022, 03:11 PM   #8

Louisiana
Sorry for not enough infos.

I have the 13.5K Advent ducted on my 2013, 3100BHS AspenTrail and I want to replace it with either the Furrion or RecPro Houghton. I was wondering if any of you owners had installed either the Furrion or RecPro and wanted to hear what do ya think about those two units.

I live in south Louisiana and humidity here is terrible. and use the camper mostly for travel work, i'm a roofer so im not in it most of the day but i want to come back to it to a comfortable room after those long hours outside.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:12 PM   #9

Florida
I agree with Tom,
"C" - none of the above!

If you want to run them both off the same circuit, look into getting a soft start for them.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:22 PM   #10

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I agree with Tom,
"C" - none of the above!

If you want to run them both off the same circuit, look into getting a soft start for them.
I'm not running both of the units. Please read post #8. I'm just asking which one would you pick; Furrion or Houghton
Old 10-12-2022, 08:53 PM   #11

Michigan
I wouldn't use either one. I would use either a GE, Coleman or Dometic. The Furion and RecPro will be rebranded knockoffs
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 11:43 PM   #12

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingturtle View Post
I'm not running both of the units. Please read post #8. I'm just asking which one would you pick; Furrion or Houghton
Ok, let me ask you one: why have you narrowed your choices to just these 2 brands?

As for Houghton… ok, I’ll be honest. Never heard of ‘em, never knew they existed. Never seen one on ANY other RV in my 9 years of travels, and never read anything about them until you mentioned them in this post. Therefore, I have no knowledge of their quality, durability, reputation, etc.

Furrion: these guys I know about… and quite frankly, I know of nothing they make that lasts more than a few months, or a few years. I personally went through THREE of their rear-view cameras under warranty in under a year, and after the 3rd switched to a different brand that worked MUCH better. The rest is admittedly ‘here say’, but I’ve read dozens of posts on this & other RV forums where others had similar experiences with their Furrion items of various types. Therefore, their products are not items that I myself would have much faith in.

Now let’s get to what I would recommend… and that’s the tried & true AC product that is on millions of RVs all around this country: Dometic

I’ve got 3 Dometic units on my rig that came on it when new in 2013 (one ducted 15k main unit, and two 13.5 units), and not once in that time have they ever failed me. Unless the outside temp is over 90 degrees & high humidity, I can cool my rig down enough to hang meat inside. They’re dependable, they’ve got thousands of hours of use, and work as advertised.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CE000B2D-A3F6-469C-911F-76262395FD29.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	7474

Now, that’s not to say they are perfect. Not every unit that rolls off of the assembly line is without some type of flaw… and, to be fair, if you do a search you’ll find a few people have had various issues with theirs. But I believe it’d also be fair to say that most who have had issues were either self-inflicted (like spraying high-pressure water that got to the electronic connections), or with external wiring between the thermostat & unit itself.

So to sum it up… I’d do a little more research on a well-known industry-standard brand, rather than the 2 you seemed to have settled on. That’s just my opinion though… take it for what it’s worth, and good luck.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 11:17 PM   #13

California
+1 on Furrion is garbage and Dometic is good.

Tags
furrion, houghton