Occasional Issue with Main AC Unit... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2016, 07:30 PM   #1

Wyoming
Occasional Issue with Main AC Unit...

Electrical question for the masses, in re my main AC unit on the rig... It doesn't happen often, but it's happening occasionally enough that it's beginning to concern me.

After a year or so of trying various settings... my usual AC operation routine is to run both, my main & bedroom ACs during the day... with the main temp set at 72, and the bedroom at 68. Between the 2 of them, they usually keep the rig nice & comfortable. But every now & then, I'll come back to the rig after a day of riding to find the main LR area warmer than expected. When I go look at the thermostat (Dometic CCC2), I find what's now become a familiar E-7 fault code (no power) for Zone 1. I then check the breaker box... find it tripped... reset it... and all is well again.

This occurs about once or twice a month... especially when I'm in areas where the temps rise into the 90s.

Not being an electrical genius, I'm wondering: do I have a wiring issue somewhere, or is the unit just working harder than normal at times, and overloading the circuit?

Anyone else experience this, or have any thoughts?

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:34 PM   #2

Tennessee
Only way to know for sure is get an amp meter and see how many amps it is drawing. I think it should be around 15 or 16 amps on a 15000 btu ac. I had this same problem on my previous rv and it turned out to be a weak breaker.
2012 EZ-GO 2FIVE LSV 2014 Gem E4 LSV
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote