Need to remove the furnace, water heater and fridge. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2020, 11:15 PM   #1

Quebec
Need to remove the furnace, water heater and fridge.

Just the thought of writing this post makes me tired as I'm super discouraged about the mess I've ended up in.

I bought a 2001 Cub F16 last fall and I knew up front that it needed to have parts of the floor replaced.

I started doing so last Saturday and the whole deal can best be described as a ****show.

Sandwich construction...not good.

Everything from the top layer is wet wet wet and it's slowly turning into a really big job.

An hour into it I kind of gave up and listed the trailer for sale on the internet at an attractive "handyman special price".

Long story short. I still have it, despite 50+ inquiries, so there's no way around it. I gotta start working.

Due to the sandwich design I cannot do all at once so I'm working my way from front towards the back, two feet at a time.

However, and the reason for me writing this post asking for advice, the water heater, the furnace, fridge and bathroom all have to come out since I have to do the full floor.

Anything I should pay extra attention to when removing the three appliances? It seems that they have been taken out before as every single wire has been cut and spliced.

Any tips, tricks, hints are most welcome.

Thanks.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20200407-WA0000.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	6213Click image for larger version

Name:	20200404_170740.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	6214

lars@rannes.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:54 PM   #2

Arizona
First, I hope you are using a very good quality respirator since that mold can cause serious illness/death. Second, if you get the appliances out who is to say they will work when you reinstall them? This brings me to point three. There comes a time to recognize that one has made a mistake, this might be that time. If you do get everything done at some point how much money will you have in this project? And you will still have an 18 year old roof, frame axles, brakes and propane lines. Add up the money and buy a nice used unit that only needs comfort mods and go camping.

RichH

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:35 PM   #3

Iowa
I agree! I made a similar mistake on an 18' Dutchman. But i plowed ahead. I learned alot but for the cash and time involved I could have found a newer better travel trailer
gbelken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:24 PM   #4

Quebec
Thank you for your comments.

I agree with everything.

I've shouldn't have done it but I wasway past point of no return when I realized thst. So, instead of writing it all off, I continued to replace the floor and that for a number of reasons.

First and foremost, if I give up, money lost.

I don't have the time and resources to dismantle and sell the good bits from the camper to reduce my loss, so I should have sold it "as is" if anything. I believe I could have sold it for what I paid (hot it super cheap) but since I have started the demolition, it wasn't that attractive anymore.

I believe I will have a better chance at keeping my investment by getting it over and done with.

I'm almost done replacing the whole floor. All the old is out, to the bone, and there's just an an hour's work or do left before all the new 2x6" and plywood are in. Then I just have to add the vinyl and rebuild appliances and interior.

Big job for sure. Lesson learned, maybe [emoji2][emoji106]

Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20200415_182056_6675728108920260579.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	6216
Old 04-15-2020, 11:21 PM   #5

California
Nice work. I hope this ends up working out for you.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:31 PM   #6

Quebec
Thanks....me too.